A Challenge...

This is just something I thought of, it's not official, and it probably won't even be judged.

Whenever I visit this forum there are always loads of graphics up for rating. They're all pretty and lovely and all, but there's one thing I can't help noticing; basically they're just loads of graphics merged together, with effects and maybe some text.

Now, don't get my wrong, this isn't a criticism at all, but I just thought it'd be fun to see what you guys could come up with without using any stocks at all. Just..creating something. Either something that doesn't exist (like Starships, or fantasy monsters, etc), or something that does exist, but without using an actual real picture of it in your graphic.

I realise that it's a totally different thing to what you normally do, just thought it would be a change from the sorts of stuff you normally come up with. I was just looking at some websites that had awesome wallpapers, and realising that 99.9% of said wallpaper had been created by the dude making it, not from stocks manipulated and pasted together (like I said, not that that's wrong or bad or anything, just different :)).

... yeah, I'll go away now (I realise I hardly ever post here :P That's because I suck ¬_¬).

sounds challenging indeed . I'll give it a go once I finish these other graphics I'm working on I'll start this and see what I can come up with

This is just something I thought of, it's not official, and it probably won't even be judged.

Whenever I visit this forum there are always loads of graphics up for rating. They're all pretty and lovely and all, but there's one thing I can't help noticing; basically they're just loads of graphics merged together, with effects and maybe some text.

Now, don't get my wrong, this isn't a criticism at all, but I just thought it'd be fun to see what you guys could come up with without using any stocks at all. Just..creating something. Either something that doesn't exist (like Starships, or fantasy monsters, etc), or something that does exist, but without using an actual real picture of it in your graphic.

I realise that it's a totally different thing to what you normally do, just thought it would be a change from the sorts of stuff you normally come up with. I was just looking at some websites that had awesome wallpapers, and realising that 99.9% of said wallpaper had been created by the dude making it, not from stocks manipulated and pasted together (like I said, not that that's wrong or bad or anything, just different :)).

... yeah, I'll go away now (I realise I hardly ever post here :P That's because I suck ¬_¬).

I take it you'll be entering.

And second I don't think you're giving this forum enough credit, stock manipulation is a vital skill that can be done poorly, or can be done well. Just as much talent is needed to do it properly, as it is to render something in 3D. They're just different skills.

Third, now all you can see is stock manipulation, a few months ago all you could find were web layouts, and before that pixel art. We're just in a Worth1K phase at the moment.

I take it you'll be entering.

And second I don't think you're giving this forum enough credit, stock manipulation is a vital skill that can be done poorly, or can be done well. Just as much talent is needed to do it properly, as it is to render something in 3D. They're just different skills.

Voyager scans a nebula.

All hand made.

Couldn't be arsed to learn to model a 3D ship, although I tried.

None of the web filetypes could handle the colors in the image, the JPG color is off slightly, I reccommend looking at the PSD if you care.

post-50-1119179538_thumb.jpg

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=2302">voyager1.zip

post-50-1119179538_thumb.jpg

voyager1.zip

That may not quite look like a nebula, but DAMN that looks awesome Keith.

(Y)

Just for reference, this is what a nebula looks like. That's the Orion Nebula.

EDIT: Yay, triple digits! 1000th post, and I spent it telling people what a nebula looks like. Heh.

Edited by Darth Xavier

A nebula could look like that. Afterall you haven't seen ALL of them have you?

Nice work Keith.

No, but by definition, a nebula is a gigantic cloud of gas. That doesn't really look very cloudlike to me.

But enough nitpicking. Let's just bask in the awesomeness of Keith's graphic.