Kid Rock/Metallica Question

Summers

Why is Kid Rock's "American Bad Ass" the EXACT same tune as Metallica's "Sad But True"? I'm assuming he asked for permission and everything, but.. I mean, why? :\ Has he ever mentioned it in an interview/cd booklet?

It's a sample, basically Kid Rock singing & rapping over "Sad But True".

About midway through it changes to some clusterfuck tune by the Twisted Brown Trucker Band, his backing band.

And Metallica were pissed about Rock using it because he/his label didn't clear it up and get the rights and shit to use it from what I gather.

It's a sample, basically Kid Rock singing & rapping over "Sad But True".

About midway through it changes to some clusterfuck tune by the Twisted Brown Trucker Band, his backing band.

And Metallica were pissed about Rock using it because he/his label didn't clear it up and get the rights and shit to use it from what I gather.

I swear I heard somewhere that you don't need rights for a sample, but I dunno, I'm kinda unsure about that kinda shit.

Eh, wannabe may be right, but I remember reading that Metallica were pissed about Rock using it. Probably 'cause they're cuntbags, but whatever.

Eh, wannabe may be right, but I remember reading that Metallica were pissed about Rock using it. Probably 'cause they're cuntbags, but whatever.

Only reason I think it's not needed is that I don't believe all the dance/techno DJ's get permission for all the samples they use, as it'd be bloody hard going.

Has he ever mentioned it in an interview/cd booklet?

American Bad Ass 2000 (R.J. Ritchie J. Hetfield, L. Ulrich)

Thanks to our friends in Metallica, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett,

Jason Newsted, Lars (Is It Safe? Are The Drums Loud Enough? Who's Holding?

100% Danish Dynamite) Ulrich and their families.

Then later on

"American Bad Ass" contains excerpts from "Sad But True" as performed by Metallica.

Used courtesy of Elektra Entertainment under license from Warner Special Products for the

United States and Canada. Used courtesy of We're Only In It For The Music, LLP for the world

outside of the United States and Canada.

It should also be noted that American Bad Ass contains the worlds most useless song lyric.

Never Gay, No Way - I Don't Play With Ass,

But Watch Me Rock With Liberace Flash.

However he does later redeem himself by giving props to the Beastie Boys.

Has he ever mentioned it in an interview/cd booklet?

American Bad Ass 2000 (R.J. Ritchie J. Hetfield, L. Ulrich)

Thanks to our friends in Metallica, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett,

Jason Newsted, Lars (Is It Safe? Are The Drums Loud Enough? Who's Holding?

100% Danish Dynamite) Ulrich and their families.

Then later on

"American Bad Ass" contains excerpts from "Sad But True" as performed by Metallica.

Used courtesy of Elektra Entertainment under license from Warner Special Products for the

United States and Canada. Used courtesy of We're Only In It For The Music, LLP for the world

outside of the United States and Canada.

Thanks.

Only reason I think it's not needed is that I don't believe all the dance/techno DJ's get permission for all the samples they use, as it'd be bloody hard going.

I'm probably wrong, but did Queen ever sue Vanilla Ice for shamelessly ripping off the main beat in Under Pressure for Ice Ice Baby? I didn't think so even though there was the infamous clip of Ice trying to explain the differences. ("So you see, theirs goes, dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum but ours goes, dum-dum-dum-dum-DUM-dum, so it's obviously different... yeah")

My sister told me Jessica Simpson used the beat for Jack & Diane and she didn't get in any trouble for it.

And I'm still pissed off at Vanilla Ice for taking the beat to such a great song. Especially when someone has it burnt on a cd and you think its Under Pressure but its really Ice Ice Baby..god its so AGGRIVATING!

Yeah, Rock and Metallica are close from what I understand. I know they've performed together a couple times as well. Jessica Simpson didn't get in trouble for Jack & Diane because she got permission, same reason Beyonce didn't get sued for sampling Stevie Nicks in "Bootylicious." Vanilla Ice did get in some hot water over the sample of Queen and David Bowie, however, I think since sampling was so new back then, there wasn't a legal statute for it.