The Clash/Sex Pistols. Punk or not?

Summers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSN Girl:

strike anywhere.. death by stereo.. minor threat.. i use to think anti-flag, but realized their just an idiotic band. drop kick murphys, in a way, but not really. comeback kid, slightly, but i'm finding them to lean more towards emo.

Sorry to post after myself, but it bumps it back up so people who looked past would notice it's been updated.

Stupid woman on my MSN says:

the clash & the sex pistols.. aren't even really punk

I tend to disagree. I'd just like to know, how are those bands not punk? :\

If they're not punk, then nobody is. They were two of the front runners of the punk music movement. The bands she listed have nothing on the Clash or Sex Pistols, granted Minor Threat is a decent band. She simply sounds like a kid who is misguided/ignorant in regards to punk music.

MSN Girl:

strike anywhere.. death by stereo.. minor threat.. i use to think anti-flag, but realized their just an idiotic band. drop kick murphys, in a way, but not really. comeback kid, slightly, but i'm finding them to lean more towards emo.

Sorry to post after myself, but it bumps it back up so people who looked past would notice it's been updated.

Stupid woman on my MSN says:

the clash & the sex pistols.. aren't even really punk

I tend to disagree. I'd just like to know, how are those bands not punk? :\

If they're not punk, then nobody is. They were two of the front runners of the punk music movement. The bands she listed have nothing on the Clash or Sex Pistols, granted Minor Threat is a decent band. She simply sounds like a kid who is misguided/ignorant in regards to punk music.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

MSN Girl:

There are lots of kinds of punk. Ultimately The Clash or the Sex Pistols would be "more punk" because they were actually some of the first bands to whom the term was applied. If any of the bands she mentioned is punk, which considering the evolution of the style most are, it has a lot to do with the fact that the others existed before them. Also, i would hardly call Minor Threat Punk-Rock as they were as basic as a band can get in their sXe HC style and Comeback Kid - OMG, Does she even know what Emo is? Don't worry Summers. Just ignore and she will go away ^_^

That is true about Minor Threat, as there were alot of bands that came out of D.C. better than them. Still, I can probably tolerate them a bit more then the bands listed by the girl.

Dude? Death By Stereo shit on The Clash and The Sex Pistols (Of course that's my oppinion).

Definitely your opinion, because I'd say The Clash and The Sex Pistols are the ones shitting on Death by Stereo.

Dude? Death By Stereo shit on The Clash and The Sex Pistols (Of course that's my oppinion).

Definitely your opinion, because I'd say The Clash and The Sex Pistols are the ones shitting on Death by Stereo.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

Just the way music tastes are. I like both The Clash and The Sex Pistols but there's something about DBS, maybe it's their fusion of numerous different genres and styles that just has me hooked. I love the singers voice as well (When he sings, though his screaming is good).

Yeah I understand that, just that DBS and stuff like it are not my cup of tea. Probably in the same vein that some stuff I like may not appeal to you.