Worst Trades/Deals in Sports History...

Guest The Living Highlight

Guest The Living Highlight

What do you think the worst trade in the world of sports is?

Seeing as I'm a Habs fan, I would have to say that when they traded Patrick Roy the the Nordiques/Avalanche, I thought it would have ruined the Canadiens for years.

To Colorado:

Patrick Roy

Mike Keane

To Montreal:

Jocelyn Thibault

Martin Rucinsky

Andrei Kovalenko

That particular trade ruined the Canadiens for nearly a decade. Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay lost their jobs because of it. The Avalanche, on the other hand, won the Stanley Cup that same year.

If you've got something that's gonna beat that, I'd like to hear about it.

Minnesota Vikings receive:

Herschel Walker

Dallas Cowboys receive:

11 people/picks, including the one they used on Emmitt Smith

So basically, Dallas wound up dumping a past-his-prime RB for a pick that became an even better in his prime RB, which would make it a bad trade. But they also received TEN OTHER PEOPLE. This trade was unfathomable even then.

Nolan Ryan and like 3 other guys from the Mets to the Angels for Jim Fergosi. How about the Cowboys building a dynasty netting 6 players and 12 draft picks (including Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson) from Minnesota in exchange for Herschel Walker. Cubs traded away a youn Lou Brock. Ruth to the Yankees? Divac to the Hornets for Kobe. Red Sox send Heathcliff Slocumb to Seattle for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe. How about when Schilling and Finley got traded to the Astros from the O's. Dodgers traded away Pedro for like Delino Deshields. Celtics got Mchale and Parrish in the same deaL.

Tomas Brolin, what a fucking donkey. Can't remember off the top of my head who he came from, but he had a good Euro Champs (I think) and Leeds snapped him up. And regretted it.

Also, Eric Cantona from Leeds to Man U. Bad move from Leeds, fo' sho'.

And a special mention goes to Gary Fletcher of Orient. He did well against us, so we bought him and then he scored about 2 goals in 2 seasons. Then we flogged him off to Lincoln and he scores against us.

Most trades make sense at the time of the trade, especially with baseball since you're talking about minor leaguers. Almost everyone in baseball started off somewhere else. Just look at who came up through the Expos system (Pedro, Randy Johnson, Larry Walker, Andres Gallaraga, etc).

I'll go with Charles Barkley being shipped to Phoenix for Tim Perry and two others.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Rafael Schiedt to Celtic. Without any puns on his surname, he cost them £4.8m, Celtic never went to see him play in the flesh, bought him soly on videotapes and recommendations. He played a handful of games (pretty sure none were competitive) and was shipped back on loan to Brazil never to play again for Celtic.

You could do a substantial list on the bad buys The Old Firm have wasted millions on in the last decade or so.

Rafael Schiedt to Celtic.  Without any puns on his surname, he cost them £4.8m, Celtic never went to see him play in the flesh, bought him soly on videotapes and recommendations.  He played a handful of games (pretty sure none were competitive) and was shipped back on loan to Brazil never to play again for Celtic.

You could do a substantial list on the bad buys The Old Firm have wasted millions on in the last decade or so.

John Hadl to the Green Bay Packers. The year is 1974, Dan Devine (Packer's coach) decides to mortage the teams future to the Rams using five picks.

1974 1st round

1974 2nd round

1974 3rd round

1975 1st round

1975 2nd round

Here was Hadl's stats for 1974:

89 184 (Completions/Attempts)

48.4 (Percentage)

1072 (Yards)

5.8 (Yards for Attempt)

3 (Touchdowns)

8 (Interceptions)

If this guy was gotten in a trade for say a fifth round pick, that'd be fine. But they put the team's future on a sore armed QB. One of the wost trades in NFL history.

Edited by The Punisher

Out of the modern ones, the Colts trading away Marshall Faulk to the Rams for a couple of draft picks was rather stupid, especially considering what the Rams got with Faulk later that season.

Guest LucaIII

Gotta agree tha all Veron deals were aweful, although it is yet to be know i predict Peter Crouch to Liverpool will be a terrible deal.

Not the worst deal but the weirdest will be Diego Forlans change from a load of sh*t to a half decent player.

Drogba-24 million? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest ryan_the_canuck

In defense of the Roy deal (and as an Avs fan, I don't really need to defend it), you can't get much for a guy who everybody knows wants out.

As a Blue Jays fan, here's a few more...

David Cone for Marty Janzen

Woody Williams & Carlos Almanzar for Joey Hamilton

Shawn Green for Raul Mondesi

Also, not a trade, but the worst deal of all was the old Ottawa Rough Riders drafting a dead guy.

Guest Bluesman

The Divac for Kobe deal shouldn't be on there, seeing as how Kobe pitched a fit so he could play for the Lakers.

The Bucks dealing Ray Allen (and Flip Murray) for Gary Payton and Dez Mason. The Bucks deal Allen because they believe they can't contend with so much money tied into a SG, then turn around and sign Michael Redd (who is clearly inferior to Allen) to a fat deal. Meanwhile Mason has yet to develop as expected.

The Twins trading A.J. Pierzinki for Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriano. The Giants get so sick of A.J. they straight release him after one year, while Nathan develops into an all-star closer that the Giants were desperately seeking this past offseason. Liriano has become one of the Twins best pitching prospects.

Jermaine O'Neal for Dale Davis. I don't think this needs to be explained a great deal.

Robert Traylor and other bums for Dirk Nowitzki. Again, why ask?

Marbury for Kidd. Kidd leads the Nets to the Finals, Steph gets to the first round and is dealt for expiring deals and Euro prospects. Out of a heartache that still won't die I refuse to address the T-Wolves trading away Steph...

Didn't the Bulls deal Olden Polynice for Scottie Pippen? That should probably be in there...

The Bulls dealing Ron Artest, Brad Miller, and Ron Mercer for Jalen Rose. To be nice to the Bulls fans I won't bring up Elton for Tyson Chandler.