DC United v Chelsea

Well, the game just ended and I was wondering if anyone over there caught it or was planning on seeing it. Chelsea were 2-1 victors in front of about 31,500 in DC. Both sides played well, but it was clear Chelsea just had more class, especially in the bench. DC played their starters a lot, but Chelsea basically switched the entire team (save Tiago, who came out later anyway) at the half. Cudicini, Crespo, Gudjohnsen, and Lampard all didn't play the first half which ended 1-1. Chelsea's game winner might have been offside, but Robben gets full points for a beautiful pass to Crespo who left the keeper with no chance.

So, basically, did anyone see this or care? If so, do you think MLS teams could compete in England? I'm not thinking for European spots, but could they at least avoid Premiership relegation?

(I have no idea, and I'm banking on someone who has access to MLS and EPL -- I'll be able to see more EPL games this season, so I'll have a better idea.)

I honestly don't think they could. Sure, only losing 2 - 1 makes it seem like they could, but League 2 teams beat Premiership teams in friendlies, so that shows how that results in friendlies mean very little. I'm not really 100% sure of the overall quality of all MLS teams, but I could imagine seeing the lowest Premiership teams being able to beat them.

I watched the game and chelsea played awfull at times, jiri jarosik couldn't get anything right, all his passes were bad, he was never able to get the ball from the other team and he even lost in a header to a player much shorter than him. I really don't know what mourinho saw in this guy. great goal from duff though

I would have sold Jarosik and kept Parker. :\

Anyways, Crespo scored, and I certainly hope he will blossom at Chelsea this season. And I don't think any MLS team will survive in the Premiership. The difference in quality between the 2 leagues are just too vast right now.

I haven't watched MLS in ages because I don't think its on over here anymore, but from what I have seen and heard some of the top teams could probably hack it. It would be interesting to see them play some European teams in a proper competition, but not the stupid FIFA club cup.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I'd like to see the American teams play more competitive games against European teams, in some form of a cup, that'd be quite good. Shame it'd be extra fixtures and everyone would probably field crappy teams.

Yeah for a start its European, although they could go the full hog and make it worldwide, but that'd probably be far too massive. Plus, the South American teams would have more rights to join than the Americans.

Travel expenses would be massive.

I suppose this is what World Club Cup is for, but nobody takes it seriously. I'd really love to see some of these American and South American teams take on the European teams, but sadly the only way we get these are from the American tours that the big teams do. Oh weellll.

I read this morning that Freddy Adu has stated he would love to play for Chelsea at some point in his career and that they were his favourite foreign club. This, the same Freddy Adu that has been saying the exact same thing about Manchester Utd his whole life.

What a crock of fucking shit... <_<

A poor man's double over the course of 50 years is nothing compared to our rich history... :P

It's like Essien all over again.

From Football365's Mediawatch;

Michael Essien, June 27: "I went to Manchester United for a trial and it was a fantastic experience...From that moment, it was my dream to play for United, but unfortunately, a transfer was not possible at that time."

Michael Essien, July 12: "I want to play in England and in Chelsea. In my head I am already in Chelsea. I am dreaming about it..."

Michael Essien BBC factfile, July 25: 'His dream coach is Arsenal's Arsene Wenger.'

From his official website, chronicling his favourites, July 25:

'A foreign football club: Arsenal or Manchester United

A coach of a foreign club: Arsene Wenger

A player: Patrick Vieira'

What would an expert make of Essien's dreams? Probably 'what a difference big wads of cash can make...'

I like the way that Lyon are holding him prisoner, I wouldn't mind seeing him at Chelsea, I like to see them spend stupid amounts of cash and slowly build the biggest squad ever.

I always said, people will stop saying they bought the league when they go through a transfer window without needlessly spending millions on players they don't need, rather than players they can get if they wanted to.

I honestly don't want Essien anymore. It's not one of those "Fuck him! He's shit anyway!" things like some people seem to say, but I think that Lyon are taking Chelsea for a ride here, and it's somewhat our own fault.

Chelsea have been known for paying alot of money for players, usually way over their actual worth. Lyon know this and are trying to get as much as possible out of Chelsea, which is £32m and a first team player. I think it would send out a better message from Chelsea to say "No, we're not upping our bid. Accept our offer or we look else where"

I don't think Essien will be worth as much next year, and I think Lyon do aswell.

Essien is not worth £32m. Not even near that. And I have the feeling that if he comes, he will turn out to be a dud. So I think we should just leave Lyon alone, wait for another season, and if Essien continues his great form, then we buy him at a much reduced price for the waning Makelele.

As for the original question of the thread, i think any US team as they are currently would struggle in the premiership. However this doesn't mean they would be relegated for sure. They would fight to avoid relegation, and in a good season get a midtable place. Fighting for better (a place in Europe) would be nearly impossible at first.

As for the World Club Championship, it's not that they don't take it seriously but most big teams in Europe have huge schedules (even if not as big as in Brazil) and are also playing in European competitions where they actually get a lot of money from. They would always pick a Champions League win, or even a UEFA cup win over the WCC. On the experimental WCC the final was between Corinthians and Vasco da Gama (two brazilian clubs) who were by far the best 2 during the tournament. If it was to become an important competition in which every team would field their best eleven and try to win it, the major favourites would always be the south american and European teams. However the current format of Group Stages/Knockout Stages, gives a better chance to the other continents teams as they would probably give all they can and more to win it, and as there were only 5 games for the finalists in it, they could have more of a chance. Afterall in this format, a couple bad games and you're out. It could happen to any team, good or bad.

Finally, as for Essien, i think you're reading too much into it. It's perfectly natural that it's his dream to play for Manchester United...AND Chelsea... AND Arsenal. It's not because he walks around with his Manchester United Kit on the streets because he supports them and has supported them his whole life, it's his dream because it's his dream to play in a top european club. He'll obviously want to go to a top team, and when selecting one, if given the choice, he will obviously pick the team who will provide him the best conditions (read... money).