*SPOILERS* G-Phoria Award Winners

ROC

Credit - Gamespot

Halo 2 takes top honors at G-Phoria

Third-annual video game awards show adds another Game of the Year award to Bungie's stash.

LOS ANGELES--Though the G-Phoria video game awards will not be airing until August 9 at 8pm ET, tonight's taping of the event revealed all the winners across more than 20 different award categories. Halo 2, from developer Bungie and publisher Microsoft Game Studios, took away the Game of the Year award at the end of the evening, as well as the most awards overall, including Best Shooter, Best Multiplayer Game, Best Sound Design, Best Original Soundtrack, Best Boss for the game's Scarab battle, and even Best Male Voice Performance for comedian David Cross' smarmy antics. Several other games won some other awards, as well.

The G-Phoria award winners were apparently determined by audience voting, which consisted of more than a million votes tallied online and through text messages. The award show itself was hosted by Wilmer Valderrama, best known for his role as Fez on That '70s Show. Other celebrity appearances ranged from Kimberly Stewart to William Shatner, the latter of whom presented the G-Phoria Legend award to Ralph Baer, oft considered the grandfather of video games.

Other games that won big this evening included Sony's God of War for the PlayStation 2, which snatched up awards for Best Action Game, Best Cinematic, Best Original Game, and Favorite Character (for Kratos, the game's surly antihero).

Games like Halo 2 and God of War competed among the ranks of highly acclaimed titles from this year and last, including Blizzard's World of Warcraft, Capcom's Resident Evil 4, and Namco's Katamari Damacy.

Following is a complete list of category winners from G-Phoria 2005. For a complete list of nominees, visit the official G-Phoria Web site.

Alt Sports Award--NBA Street V3

Best Adaptation--LEGO Star Wars

Best Action Game--God of War

Best Boss--Halo 2 - Scarab Battle

Best Cinematic--God of War

Best Graphics--Half-Life 2

Best Handheld Game--The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Best Innovation--Katamari Damacy

Best Licensed Soundtrack--Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Best Multiplayer Game--Halo 2

Best Original Game--God of War

Best Original Soundtrack--Halo 2

Best Racing Game--Burnout 3: Takedown

Best RPG--Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Best Shooter--Halo 2

Best Sound Design--Halo 2

Best Traditional Sports Game--Madden NFL 2005

Best Voice Performance - Female--Half-Life 2 - Merle Dandridge

Best Voice Performance - Male--Halo 2 - David Cross

EB Gamers' Choice Award--World of Warcraft

Favorite Character--God of War - Kratos

Game of the Year--Halo 2

Legend Award--Ralph Baer

Resident Evil 4 getting no awards makes me fear the casual gamer even more.

How predictable, with the last years 2 biggest over hyped pieces of shit (Halo 2 and God Of War) picking up everything.

David Cross' part in Halo 2 wasn't even that big anyway, so him winning the award is a bit stupid, but David Cross is my hero, so it doesn't bother me that much.

However, Lego Star Wars deserved its reward. Heres to many sequels!

Please explain how God of War was on overhyped piece of shit? I can see Halo 2, but God of War was a pretty fucking cool game. Original, challenging, inventive play mechanics, and just plain fun. Definitely the PS2's best game in 2005 so far, arguably the best game on any platform this year.

I still don't get the whole "too short" argument. Some of the greatest games of all time can be completed in one setting. I didn't find it repetitive except for a few sections. And how was the combat shallow? Two weapons, magic abilities, huge combos... I found it fun. And while there were some frustrating parts, I find it to be very challenging.

But maybe that's because I didn't play DMC3, but the first two sucked massive cock, so that's why I didn't bother with it.

God of War may have been short but it is one of the greatests games I have played for PS2... another short game is Metal Gear Solid 2 it was short (if you skipped the codec and cutscenes) but it was still a great game (some might disagree). Quality over quantity is the way to go. (Y)

God of war is excellent . imo it out classes dm3 in the combat category. DMC may have the more stylish combo's but GOW has the better system imo. The only game I think should be really long are rpgs other games should be short with replay value. GOW isn't short to me but others have complained but it does have the replay value.

I don't have a gamecuve but it is a crime that RE4 didn't get an award

DMC3 is simply more stylish than GOW? Its more than that. DMC3 has a deeper, more responsive combat system that offers 10 times more variety than GOWs. Its faster, its more fun, you can do a hell of a lot more and its much more tense and involving and overall, fun to fight through.

And the camera problems aren't as major as people like to point out.

I also see nothing wrong with the arguement that games shouldn't be too short. I pay up to £40 for a brand new game these days, for games that will last me up to most about 8 hours and I will never bother to pick up and play them ever again. Granted yes, there are a lot of good games that can be completed in one sitting, but if I have no reason to go back and play it again, or no desire because the game is repetitive, then I really just think that potential has been wasted and that I have wasted my money.

Pretty, short, repetitive. 3 words that sum up 95% of the games released this entire generation. And its just a trend thats going to keep up in the next generation.