Godzilla

apsham

Alright, so I was watching the CBC late last night when I saw a really old Godzilla movie, horribly dubbed, come on and I was intrigued by it and started watching. I don't know which one it is, but it featured some long neck thing that turned around and used fins to blow everything away and some badass mechanical Godzilla that was evil and shot rockets and what not. That got me wondering:

1: What is Godzilla's background? I mean... it's obvious that he's not just some mutated thing that grew big, because he took like 50 missles and 20 laser beams, as well as horrible throwing sequences, being buried alive and getting thrown through buildings. Then again, there isn't much sense in those films.

2: How many Godzilla's were made before it was brought over to America and... changed.

Edited by Apple Shampoo

All I can remember is "We're goin' deeper under ground" by Jamiriqaui or whatever.

That and Lostprophets song "We are Godzilla, You are Japan" shame I can't remember anything about it though.

So yeah, i dunno why i posted this except for "We're goin' deeper under ground." dammit im gonna have that stuck in my head now.

All I can remember is "We're goin' deeper under ground" by Jamiriqaui or whatever

Yeah, thats the song that was on the soundtrack for the American Godzilla film. The American Godzilla which is referred to as GINO, or Godzilla In Name Only. He got his ass kicked by the real Godzilla in Final Wars :P

Godzilla was awesome, I really need to see more films.

EDIT : Should probably make an attempt to answer Ap Sham's questions >_>

1: What is Godzilla's background? I mean... it's obvious that he's not just some mutated thing that grew big, because he took like 50 missles and 20 laser beams, as well as horrible throwing sequences, being buried alive and getting thrown through buildings. Then again, there isn't much sense in those films.

Godzilla was created as a result of nuclear tests, and the whole thing was supposed to be a commentary on the ethics of nuclear practice. There's a lot more detail I've skipped out on, but thats the gist of it, it was pretty much radioactive mutation, as far as I can tell. There was even a later film based around a huge pile of garbage called Hedorah, which was supposed to be a commentary about the effects of human waste on the planet, and so on. But who cares about the details, you're watching men in rubber suits throw each other at paper mache buildings. How can you not be entertained? :P

2: How many Godzilla's were made before it was brought over to America and... changed.

Well, there's been about fifty years of Godzilla flicks, so there'll be a good amount before the bastardisation. According to wikipedia.com, there's 29 Godzilla films altogether, and six of those came out after the American one, but they used the original Godzilla design. GINO only ever appeared in Final Wars in 2004, to get fucked up by Godzilla, and he was referring to as 'Zilla'.

Edited by Kaneanite

Ah...Godzilla, that takes me back to my childhood. Any one else that are Godzilla fans remember when AMC(I believe it was them any ways) once every year had a whole day of Godzilla flicks playing? I remember on more than one time trying to stay up all night watching those things. Perhaps my favorite when I was a kid and the one I remember fondest was the Monster Island ones. Just cause of Baby Godzilla. I also recall watching the old 80s cartoon show of Godzilla too with the renamed Baby Godzilla, Godzooki(sp?).

Personally I'm going to try my hardest to get Final War even though like you Ghost I heard it wasn't too good. I'd get it just for the True Godzilla/GINO fight. Man did my hopes get so high up I remember when I was a kid and that Godzilla movie came out....and then I saw it.....and then deep down inside I cried. Crying over what the hell they did to Godzilla. God was that a horrible movie and GOD did they make Godzilla look like an out right pussy in it.....Then again that Godzilla was a female so I guess that's not too far off. *sigh*