City Of Heroes

thatshortguy

This game looks kind of fun and has definately caught my interest but I worry about these MMORPGs. I played Everquest for a few months and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I spent a bunch of money to get everything available for it and then shelled out the monthly fee. Then it was like you almost always had to be on it and had little time for anything else. Not only that but half my time on there seemed like it was spent looking for people to team up with. Once you found some people to group with, most of the time they were unreliable and left you hanging (get you killed and no help in getting your corpse back). If I did find some good people to team with, I'd probably never get to play with them again because the level difference would be too much (because I wasn't on 24/7). I like a game that I can play at my leisure, when I want to play and without having to rely on others to have a good experience.

No worries on that. You're able to do some damage when first starting out. You don't have to run off and die to kittens before you can fight real criminals :)

Also, there are always a ton of people looking for teams, regardless of your level. The game even features a nifty tool that allows you to search for people looking for teams while you play the game.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bruins72

No worries on that.  You're able to do some damage when first starting out.  You don't have to run off and die to kittens before you can fight real criminals :)

Also, there are always a ton of people looking for teams, regardless of your level.  The game even features a nifty tool that allows you to search for people looking for teams while you play the game.

Thanks for the info. I might have to pick it up. I'll probably wait until after the summer though. My schedule is getting way too busy.

I was going to get City of Heroes, but I found out that I need a better video card and more memory. I *may* be getting a new computer in a few months, so I'm going to hold off for now.

You know, I'd like a good superhero game to try... I might pick up Freedom Force, if I see it.

If you do try Freedom Force, give me a yell. I can tell you where to find all sorts of good downloads for it (player-made mods, meshes, skins, etc). And before any moderator or anyone else starts yelling `WAREZ!', don't. The game was MEANT to be modable by the fans.

You should be able to find it fairly cheap, depending on where you are. And there's a sequel supposed to be coming out later this year or sometime next year. :)

(My avatar is a head shot of a FF skin I made, btw)

I was going to get City of Heroes, but I found out that I need a better video card and more memory. I *may* be getting a new computer in a few months, so I'm going to hold off for now.

If you do try Freedom Force, give me a yell. I can tell you where to find all sorts of good downloads for it (player-made mods, meshes, skins, etc). And before any moderator or anyone else starts yelling `WAREZ!', don't. The game was MEANT to be modable by the fans.

You should be able to find it fairly cheap, depending on where you are. And there's a sequel supposed to be coming out later this year or sometime next year. :)

(My avatar is a head shot of a FF skin I made, btw)

Sounds very cool... I'll definately have to keep my eyes open for FF then. When you say there's mods... is there just mods to change the appearances of characters? Or have some people modded it so far as to make a semi-new game, kind of like the Max Payne mods.

Oh, there's a TON of stuff out there. Player-made meshes, skins, mods, voicepacks, etc.

By mods, I mean stuff that changes the game entirely. Like new scenarios that use characters that didn't come with the game, for instance.

Edited by GhostMachine

Oh, there's a TON of stuff out there. Player-made meshes, skins, mods, voicepacks, etc.

By mods, I mean stuff that changes the game entirely. Like new scenarios that use characters that didn't come with the game, for instance.

I did a quick google search, and I came across some mods that sounded cool... but I couldn't find any pictures of the mods.

I got this game this weekend, and been playing it throughout the day today (sunday)

I personally find it a very fun game at times, kinda hard to figure some things out, that or I'm just dumb

I personally can't wait fo r the super-villians game to come out

• 2 weeks later...

I got this game this weekend, and been playing it throughout the day today (sunday)

I personally find it a very fun game at times, kinda hard to figure some things out, that or I'm just dumb

I personally can't wait fo r the super-villians game to come out

Yeah, I'm nine days late in the matter, but hell, I've been busy keeping you people in line <_<

Seriously, though, create a hero and jump on the Virtue server. You may find ye ol' Midget under the guise of the sexiest beast to ever roam the concrete plains: The Zinger.

Yeah, I'm nine days late in the matter, but hell, I've been busy keeping you people in line <_<

Seriously, though, create a hero and jump on the Virtue server.  You may find ye ol' Midget under the guise of the sexiest beast to ever roam the concrete plains:  The Zinger.

Are you part of a bigger Superhero faction of KFC Products? Who are led by the greatest superhero of them all, The Colonel?

Are you part of a bigger Superhero faction of KFC Products? Who are led by the greatest superhero of them all, The Colonel?

A nice try at zinging, my friend, but you're waaaaaaay off.

You see, The Zinger is the leader of The Annoyance Alliance, who's sole purpose is to annoy and zing all those who cross their path. Roleplayers are at the top of our list, and suffer our smart-ass wrath more than they obviously care to :)

• 1 month later...

so now after you have played it for a while, did the typical onlinegame bordome start (i usualy have this wen it boil down to more and more fighting and chating than legit states building, i love building stats, but in online rpgs that just gets way to slow way to fast)

how interesting are the 20+ storylines that the game is supos to have (arc storys ore what they call them ?! no normal missions, some real story you alone ore with frinds you can finish)

Story arcs are generally a fun challenge. One that isn't however, is when you're infected with a disease after beating up some of the zombie-like creatures in the sewers. Unless you run alllllllll the way back to the person that gave you the mission, you're stuck with that disease for as long as you have the character.

Aside from that, though, they're fun. Especially when you're fighting the Tsoo (which are a collection of ninjas and sorcerers.) Tougher than hell, but hey, they act like real freakin' ninjas once you run into the higher level ones.

And yeah, the boredom sat in for me a few weeks into it, however that was due to me not having many friends to play with as opposed to getting bored with the gameplay itself.

Story arcs are generally a fun challenge.  One that isn't however, is when you're infected with a disease after beating up some of the zombie-like creatures in the sewers.  Unless you run alllllllll the way back to the person that gave you the mission, you're stuck with that disease for as long as you have the character.

Aside from that, though, they're fun.  Especially when you're fighting the Tsoo (which are a collection of ninjas and sorcerers.)  Tougher than hell, but hey, they act like real freakin' ninjas once you run into the higher level ones.

And yeah, the boredom sat in for me a few weeks into it, however that was due to me not having many friends to play with as opposed to getting bored with the gameplay itself.

What server do you play on?

I don't play (I would, if I had a better video card and more memory), but I *might* be able to hook you up with some allies.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's an old topic, but damnit, City of Heroes is a hell of a drug.

Here's the deal...I'm sick and tired of random strangers leading to my sexy Zinger meeting a premature demise. So whoever is still playing this game needs to send me a PM. I want to rebuild the Annoyance Alliance with people from EWB, regardless of level. I'll even sidekick yo' happy ass, and plus it's a chance to score brownie points with an EWB mod =P

So let's hear it, people. Who wants to go crime-fighting with a six-foot tall bug in a business suit? =)