City Of Heroes

thatshortguy

*sigh* If I had a better video card and more memory, I'd SO be there.

I'm very close to quitting Everquest. I can't play when I want to, and it takes several hours to complete some quests (and you have to do those quests from start to finish - can't take breaks). From what I've heard, City Of Heroes is a lot more flexible. (ie, no camping a particular enemy with several other players for several hours at a time)

Midg, did you ever check out that information that I sent you a while back?

Edited by GhostMachine

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* If I had a better video card and more memory, I'd SO be there.

I'm very close to quitting Everquest. I can't play when I want to, and it takes several hours to complete some quests (and you have to do those quests from start to finish - can't take breaks). From what I've heard, City Of Heroes is a lot more flexible. (ie, no camping a particular enemy with several other players for several hours at a time)

Midg, did you ever check out that information that I sent you a while back?

Camping is SO EQ and Counter-Strike :shifty:

I did, but I'm looking for a group of people I can converse with outside of CoH. Since I don't have very many friends that have a computer capable of tackling this bad boy, EWB is the next viable alternative. You guys are my silver medal :wub:

Also, I forgot to mention this, but guess what? CAPES ARE COMING! I can finally put an obnoxious pink cape on Zinger and have him strut around singing "Super Freak" :D

Le sigh. This game sounds fun from what I've read and what GoGoLove's told me. What are the specs required to play?

And I don't understand why they need a server charge. Games like Diablo II and other great RPGs function great without charging 15 freakin dollars a month >_>!!

Le sigh. This game sounds fun from what I've read and what GoGoLove's told me. What are the specs required to play?

And I don't understand why they need a server charge. Games like Diablo II and other great RPGs function great without charging 15 freakin dollars a month >_>!!

Minimum System Specifications

• Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP

• Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz

• 256 MB RAM

• 4X CD-ROM Drive

• 2 GB Available HDD Space

• GeForce 2 Series or ATI Radeon 8500 Series

Video Card

• DirectX 9.0

• 16-bit Sound Card

• 56k modem

• Keyboard and mouse

Recommended System Requirements

• Windows® 2000/XP

• Intel Pentium® 4 1.7 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1700+

• 512 MB RAM • 16X CD-ROM Drive

• 2 GB Available HDD Space

• GeForce 5600 or ATI Radeon 9600 Series

Video Card

• 16-bit Sound Card

• Broadband Internet Connection

• Keyboard and mouse with wheel

And the server charge is mainly due to the fact that CoH runs more servers that hold more info. For example, there are 11 servers you can log into, with ten characters per server that you can have. So at their max, each individual player can have 110 characters with unique info to save. So yeah, they gots to have space, and thus, $15 a month. But the Game Time Cards cover two months at a time, and you can find 'em relatively easy.

And GoGo, get thou ass on Virtue and add me to the Friends list! =P

Edited by The Midget

• Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz

Yeaaah. I'm screwed right there. And with the video card. Looks like it's time to relegate myself to the second-best, Freedom Force. Fuck, I hate my life <_<

Much like Cloudy, I'd love this game, but it's the dosh holding me back. A question about the monthly fee though, is it 15 bucks a month, every month, or is it 15 bucks for a month when you want to play? If you get my meaning.

Also, how much is Freedom Force? Is it the same kinda price, pay for the game, then for each month?

Edited by Kaneanite

I cannot recommend this game highly enough, and I LOOOOATHE the usual online gaming experience.

Some quick points I find important:

* NO PvP... at least not until City of Villains comes out next year, and even THEN, it'll be a toggle, so you don't have to fear getting griefed by some lamer with time on his hands when you just want to mission with your buds. Buuuut, if you feel like testing Doctor Cube vs. the local loudmouth, toggle it to PvP ON and go to it.

* The game FORCES most characters to team to survive at middle to high levels, but this isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing. For starters, it keeps the loner nuisance players clumped at lower levels since it becomes harder for them to advance.

Secondly, it plays into the whole comic book superteam concept, which is reinforced with cool game mechanics like Superteam Info Pages for team leaders to post messages and the addition of a second, team color coordinated costume that doesn't force you to abandon your solo look.

Thirdly, it forces a balance in superhero archetypes. Sure, there's lots of low level Blasters or Tankers who can wade into hordes of villains and lay waste, but there isn't a time that I'm on that some mid to high level group isn't clambering for a Controller or Defender for healing and crowd control.

* The game is $15 a month, but as Midget said, you can have up to 110 separate characters at present, and that might actually increase as more servers are added. Also, they've already updated the game twice with new zones and missions and villains and cool minor features like capes (the initial absence of which is explained with an amusing backstory).

These updates are absolutely free and took me less than 5 minutes to download using a cable modem. The creators are still VERY jazzed about the game, and I'm happy to find that they're not content to just sit on their laurels and let the game run itself, instead looking for constant ways to add to and improve the game.

* The only downside, which isn't NECESSARILY a downside, is that the game actually encourages tactical thinking. Sadly, that fact ends up lost on most of the folks one would randomly team with and the possibility of getting killed because Eugene the Retard ran through two mobs of Tsoo and trailed them all back to you is very, very likely. I have a few friends and loved ones I team with frequently and even then, there're some folks that I'm friends with but absolutely cannot play CoH with.

I most often play on Freedom as The Incomparable Pneuman, the titanium Defender, or as Oxford, the stone-fisted asskicker.

Fire off any questions (other than technical ones, :shifty: ), and I hope to see some of y'all around Paragon City!

GoGo, Ray, I promise each of you spots in The Annoyance Alliance as Annoyance Agents if you come on board. And if anything gets sticky for you guys as you level up, Zinger's can take a backseat and I'll bust out my lvl9 Blaster....THE ANNOYING NERD! =D

Michael, you can see two shots of The Zinger over in El Blanco's battle thread. It's in the Graphics/Web Design Forum.

Attached is the best pic of Zinger so far, and it's even better for those who know about my absence and triumphant return to CoH, as well as the backstory about the Rikti.

Edited by The Midget

Oh, there's a TON of stuff out there. Player-made meshes, skins, mods, voicepacks, etc.

By mods, I mean stuff that changes the game entirely. Like new scenarios that use characters that didn't come with the game, for instance.

I got Freedom Force like a couple of months after it came out. It was a present, if I remember correctly.

Where can I download all that stuff from?

(the initial absence of which is explained with an amusing backstory).

Explain. Now.

GM, does Freedom Force have a monthly fee?

Oh, btw GM, your Photobucket account seems to be password protected. And I suppose *if it's cheap enough* I'll pick up FF. Maybe.