Modern stuff with piano's

YI

I'm looking for bands whcih have piano's as a major focal point of the album. For example "Get Up Kids - Guilt Show" and "Death Cab For Cutie - Plans". And to a lesser extent stuff like the quieter stuff Muse do. So anybody got any recommendations?

Edited by Spyrazul

Probably not what you're after, but Dresden Dolls, The Tiger Lillies and Antony & The Jonsons are probably the best piano-based bands out there at the moment that I can think of. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone really obviosu that's nearer to Death Cab, so I may have to return to this thread later...

Probably not what you're after, but Dresden Dolls, The Tiger Lillies and Antony & The Jonsons are probably the best piano-based bands out there at the moment that I can think of. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone really obviosu that's nearer to Death Cab, so I may have to return to this thread later...

the white stripes

My Doorbell

The Denial Twist (one of my fafurits of the latest album)

White Moon

Passive Manipulation

I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)

This Protector

St. James Infirmary Blues

a bit lesss but still

I Want To The Boy To Warm Your Mother's Heart

Little Acorns (well the intro part is all piana)

Take, Take, Take

Radiohead's Pyramid Song is pretty huanting and has a heavy focus on the piano. Pretty simple melody, but it's the right instrument. They have a few other songs with piano, but I can't remember any that really jump out as amazing.

Matthew Good, who I can't believe Kaneanite is thanking Apple Shampoo for the introduction to when I've been shamelessly whoring the guy since I was alive, likes to throw in an occaisional painist melody. All Together is a very badass song, apart from the boring chorus, but the haunting paino melody and vivid lyrical descriptions remind me a lot of A Great Day For Freedom, possibly the best song in the history of history. House of Smoke and Mirrors and Omissions of the Omen, both rare tracks, both feature piano I believe, as do many of the acoustic reworkings he did for Rooms. There are some super rare versions of Weapon and Every Name Is My Name done with a more traditional piano as opposed to the keyboard, but I doubt you will find them.

I'd reccomend some Coldplay, but to be honest, I think they're far better when the piano plays second... uh, fiddle, to the guitar. There are a few Pink Floyd tracks with some great piano, and I know I'm forgetting a really awesome song that I should put here, but yeah. Them's the breaks.

I dunno if it's what you're looking for, but if it isn't, it should be.

Matthew Good, who I can't believe Kaneanite is thanking Apple Shampoo for the introduction to when I've been shamelessly whoring the guy since I was alive.

Since I took the iniative to show him true Matt Goodness. :P

Where's he been thanking me, now?

Nowhere you can read.

There is no emoticon to describe my hatred for you.

In fact, there is only one way to express my undying passionate malice towards you. Allow me to quote Star Trek.

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!!!!!

Edited by SeanDMan

Edguy. My new flavour of the month favourite powermetal band :P Edguy - When A Hero Cries. Beautiful song.

Also, Sonata Arctica use piano's extensively, but I'm not sure if you want merely songs with piano's in them (although Sonata Arctica's Replica and Tallulah are mainly piano).

I don't really know any bands that use just/mainly piano's for entire albums...

I'd definately get Edguy - When A Hero Cries, though. And if you like it, then other Edguy stuff too, although most of it isn't very pianoish.

Edited by TheReilDeal