What's Your Genre?

Benji

I noticed the trend in my games that I always seem to play Beat 'Em Ups and RPG's over any other game, even stuff like Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks mixes in the Beat 'Em Up elements. I'd put this down to my favourite series', Final Fantasy and Tekken, which is suprising to me because my games on the Commodore were generally strategy and action games (or the latter at least what could be made of action games).

So what is your genre and do you know why in particular?

Guest muddatrucker

Probably Sports (namely Football, infact only Football) and Free roam style games (Like GTA).

I can't understand where the lasting entertainment within a beat'em up is, stuff like FF confuses me too.

RPGs - I've always had a pretty fertile imagination, so I appreciated the other-world qualities of games like Final Fantasy VII, Grandia and Breath of Fire III (three of my favourites). I was the only one of my group of mates to like them.

Simulation/RTS - Civilization, FM, Tropico and Medieval: Total War all appealed to me, and I think it's because I don't have the reaction times necessary for action-adventure, so I was able to keep up with these games, which made me better at them and I enjoyed them all the more.

Probably Sports (namely Football, infact only Football) and Free roam style games (Like GTA).

I can't understand where the lasting entertainment within a beat'em up is, stuff like FF confuses me too.

Generally I like learning combos and fighting mates, the variation of learning different characters moveset keeps me interested as well as (occasionally) the story. Tekken generally has the best sub-games too so that explains one.

RPG's are just something that got brought about by FF7, I started playing that for the story and grew to enjoy the system (although I've since learned to despise it over certain other RPG systems). The thing with RPG's is they generally allow for a better storyline than any other genre, which is also why I hate online RPG's in general, they tend not to have a strict story.

First Person Shooters, hopefully in the vein of Red Faction. What? I just really like blowing shit up. It pleases me. Not to mention the everlasting fun you can have on multiplayer.

Sports games, but only the games where you get to play yourself. I hate managerial games. I ended up ejecting FM2005 and snapping it clean because it was pissing me off so much.

I've always had a soft-spot for Beat Em' Ups, of course, especially when playing with mates. Games like Streets Of Rage and Golden Axe count here, too.

When I was younger, it was RPGs and 2D fighters. Nowadays, I don't really have time to sit down and go through an RPG like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger or FFVI. Pretty much now my genres are wrestling games and anything free-roaming like GTA.

Katamari Damancy.

I am the king of all cosmos in that game, nothing can stop me. I listed it as such, since... well it doesn't have it's own genre. Other than that, I am really into games like free-roaming action\adventure games such as the Grand Theft Auto series and more recently, Total Overdose.

What is it about sports games? I find them to wane after short periods unless I have someone to play against, the only exception really is Football Manager, which I would classify more as a Stats and Tacts games. I just find them too easy to keep me occupied for too long unless I have a friend to play with, and even then it's only fun in short bursts.

What keeps me interested with the likes of Pro Evo and FIFA is doing a career/season. The Master League in Pro Evo is so deep and has such a long lifespan that it could keep me going for ages.

And with the career mode in FIFA, you've always got the option at the end of the each season to try and take the team your with further or to try and take another team higher. It's all about variety.

What keeps me interested with the likes of Pro Evo and FIFA is doing a career/season. The Master League in Pro Evo is so deep and has such a long lifespan that it could keep me going for ages.

And with the career mode in FIFA, you've always got the option at the end of the each season to try and take the team your with further or to try and take another team higher. It's all about variety.

See but that's basically my fun in Footy Manager, but I don't find it that great in sports games. I dunno', maybe it's just my tendency to take my time on games rather than power through, I like the kind of action (semi-puzzle) games like Prince of Persia so speed isn't an issue necesarilly.

See but that's basically my fun in Footy Manager, but I don't find it that great in sports games. I dunno', maybe it's just my tendency to take my time on games rather than power through, I like the kind of action (semi-puzzle) games like Prince of Persia so speed isn't an issue necesarilly.