Good songs from 2002-2003

Blitz

Hey I'm trying to make a little throw-back-ish CD and was trying to find some good songs from this time period. I was really into bands like Yellowcard and bands like that around this time, so if anyone could help me out with like fifteen songs I'd really appreciate them. Here's what I have so far.

1.) Yellowcard - Way Away

2.) Hey Ya - Outkast

3.) Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

Yellowcard? :puke::puke::puke:

QOTSA-No One Knows

QOTSA-Go With The Flow

QOTSA-First It Giveth

Foo Fighters-All My Life

Foo Fighters-Times Like These

ColdPlay-In My Place

ColdPlay-Clocks

ColdPlay-The Scientist

Red Hot(By The Way Tracks)

All the Cd's from Muse

System Of A Down(Toxicity/Steal This Album! Tracks)

The White Stripes - Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground; Seven Nation Army

Pearl Jam - I Am Mine

Audioslave - Cochise

Beck - Lost Cause

LL Cool J - 10 Million Stars

Pink - Just Like A Pill

Eminem - Lose Yourself

The Strokes - 12:51

The Distillers - Drain the Blood

The RZA - A Day To God Is 1,000 Years

Deftones - Minerva

Blur - Out of Time

Yellowcard? :puke::puke::puke:

QOTSA-No One Knows

QOTSA-Go With The Flow

QOTSA-First It Giveth

Foo Fighters-All My Life

Foo Fighters-Times Like These

ColdPlay-In My Place

ColdPlay-Clocks

ColdPlay-The Scientist

Red Hot(By The Way Tracks)

All the Cd's from Muse

System Of A Down(Toxicity/Steal This Album! Tracks)

Coldplay? :puke::puke::puke:

Yeah, although not quite on the level of Yellowcard, figos' list is still a fountain of suck.

Here's my list:

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - the entire "Streetcore" album

Damien Rice - Cannonball

Evan Dando - All My Life

Beck - Lost Cause

Modest Mouse - Float On

The Strokes - Last Nite

Rufus Wainwright - I Don't Know What It Is

Kings Of Leon - Molly's Chambers

Belle & Sebastian - I'm A Cuckoo

The Libertines - What A Waster

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date With The Night

The Mars Volta - Inertiatic ESP

The Bad Plus - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Jesse Malin - Almost Grown

And I'm sure I'm forgetting something, too...

Fuck you guys, I liked the Foo Fighters stuff from One on One and the Coldplay album from that year. And I like Modest Mouse and to some extent The Yeah Yeah Yeahs as well. In fact, the only bleh tracks I've seen so far (that I've heard) are probably "Way Away" and "Ocean Avenue". Well, unless you count a lot of By The Way's stuff...

As for suggestions, "Roses" from Outkast fucking owned. I'm not sure if it counts as '03, but it owned nonetheless.

Edited by Veut baiser d'Eva Green.

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros ?

Evan Dando ?

Modest Mouse ?

Belle & Sebastian ?

The Mars Volta ?

The Bad Plus ?

Jesse Malin ?

And You say Muse, SOAD, Red Hot CP Suck? :blink:

I am assuming you put question marks because you don't know who the bands are.

Joe Strummer is the lead singer of the Clash and the Mescelaros are various musicians in the punk field. Joe Strummer does not suck and probably influenced Muse, SOAD and RHCP to a varying extent.

Modest Mouse are a decent indie band; nothing to get really worked up about; but I'd put them a peg ahead of RHCP and Muse; not SOAD though.

Belle & Sebastian are huge in the indie world. A huge catalogue of great and overlooked releases.

The Mars Volta are the new kings of Prog-Rock and whatever bad things people can say about them there is equal good things to say about them.

Evan Dando, The Bad Plus, Jesse Malin are familar by name, but not by sound. But given the general taste of Skumfrog, I'd probably say they are ranging from decent to great.

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros ?

Evan Dando ?

Modest Mouse ?

Belle & Sebastian ?

The Mars Volta ?

The Bad Plus ?

Jesse Malin ?

And You say Muse, SOAD, Red Hot CP Suck? :blink:

Muse are a bit above-average at best, they take a simple sound and make it sound more complicated than it needs to. The only good thing about them is Matt Bellamy, and he's not quite good enough to carry the fact that they're just not that good.

SOAD are good, they're not my cup of tea, but they're doing something original and doing it well.

Red Hot Chili Peppers are an alright band, but "By The Way" was an incredibly weak album, not helped by how ridiculously overplayed it was everywhere.

Conversely, The Mescaleros' were one of the most original and inventive bands out there during their relatively short career, and Streetcore was the epitome of that, bringing in influences from punk, funk, country, blues and world music, and creating an excellent new sound out of it.

Evan Dando isn't overly original, he's just a damn good singer-songwriter, with an incredible voice and wonderful lyrics.

Modest Mouse are an inventive indie band, like PRP said, they're nothing amazing, just good at what they do.

Belle & Sebastian are Gods of cheery Summery indie, make no mistake about it. Some of the best lyrics ever.

The Mars Volta are, as PRP said, the current Kings Of Prog, and they're just generally incredible.

The Bad Plus are a fairly jazz-ish band that admittedly aren't everyone's cup of tea, but more than worth a mention.

Jesse Malin's a singer-songwriter, in the vein of Ryan Adams, formerly of DGeneration. Again, nothing overly inventive or special, but well worth a mention.

Just because you've never heard a band before doesn't mean they suck.

And by selecting tracks from indie bands do you expect the average US fan to know them?I tried to choose the best alternative inside mainstream music, but since you put things in those terms why not tell the guy to listen to The Hives' first cds and more european rock bands?I don't know how things work in the US but I have an idea that the average fan only gets access to those bands in games like NFSU(for example blindside)

The person who made this thread didn't ask for bands he knew - he asked for good songs from the time period and Skumfrog was giving songs he figured were good.

And by selecting tracks from indie bands do you expect the average US fan to know them?I tried to choose the best alternative inside mainstream music, but since you put things in those terms why not tell the guy to listen to The Hives' first cds and more european rock bands?I don't know how things work in the US but I have an idea that the average fan only gets access to those bands in games like NFSU(for example blindside)

Considering at least nine of the bands/artists I mentioned are American, your points are fairly invalid. Not to mention that there are plenty of ways for people to access all kinds of music, be it television, radio, the internet, recommendations, magazines, anything.

And I didn't tell him to listen The Hives' first albums because The Hives are shit, and I didn't list more European rock bands because that wasn't the question, the question was to name good songs from 2002-2003, and that's what I did. Funny how that works.

Conversely, The Mescaleros' were one of the most original and inventive bands out there during their relatively short career, and Streetcore was the epitome of that, bringing in influences from punk, funk, country, blues and world music, and creating an excellent new sound out of it.

Aww hell yeah. I havent heard the Streetcore album, but the first one by them is one of my favourites of all time. Its just so varied.