NBA Off-Season...

Guest StreetzHopin

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, Boozer isn't offically a Jazz, and the Cavs offered him a one year deal, and promise a bigger contract next year. Meh, I still think the Cavs should do everything they possibly can to retain the services of Carlos Boozer.

I'm going to say a little something about Stephen A. Smith, whom I usually like very much.

His argument that Boozer is perfectly right in accepting the Jazz's offer because it's $27 million more is downright greedy and retarded.

Boozer gave the Cavs his word, then stabbed them in the back. Carlos better go to Paxson and kiss his damn feet for getting that $5 million offer, because if I were in the GM's role, I would likely tell him to enjoy his money while I find a player or two that is willing to be honest.

NEW YORK, July 13 -- The National Basketball Association today announced that the salary cap for the 2004-05 season will be $43.87 million. The new cap goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, July 14, when the league's "moratorium period" ends and teams can begin signing free agents and making trades.

The salary cap has increased during the current collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association from $26.9 million in 1997-98 to the new level of $43.87 million, the highest amount since the salary cap was established in 1984. Last season's cap was $43.84 million.

During the current CBA, total player salaries and benefits have increased 57 percent from $1 billion in 1997-98 to $1.573 billion in 2003-04.

For the 2003-04 season, a tax will be collected from teams equal to the amount by which their payrolls exceeded $54.6 million. The tax money is re-distributed to NBA teams.

The 2004-05 minimum team salary, which is set at 75 percent of the salary cap, will be $32.90 million next season.

The expansion Charlotte Bobcats, who begin play in the 2004-05 season, will have a salary cap and minimum team salary equal to two-thirds of the salary cap and minimum salary that applies to the rest of the league. The Bobcats' salary cap in 2004-05 is $29.25 million and their minimum salary is $21.94 million.

Not that important, but I but it up for the hell of it.

And thumbs up to Boozer, the slimy bastard is now my favourite player.The Cavs are stupid for letting him slip, Bron and Boozer could have end up being a force in the East in a few years.

...and on the opposite end of that argument, I'm sure that if Carlos was saddened/hurt by Paxton's comments(as aluded to in Midget's scenerio) he would find something that would make him happy again with the extra 27 million he would be making

Oh, definately so. But Boozer fired the first proverbial shot by scurrying to Utah. I mean, hell, he was still being offered $40 million plus from Ohio, so did he really need $27 million more?!

Guest bukkake bandit

Oh, definately so.  But Boozer fired the first proverbial shot by scurrying to Utah.  I mean, hell, he was still being offered $40 million plus from Ohio, so did he really need $27 million more?!

I'd take it.

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

ESPN.com news services

The Detroit Pistons, who Monday got a commitment from free agent Antonio McDyess, will announce today that they have also signed their starting power forward, free agent Rasheed Wallace, reported the Detroit Free Press in Tuesday's editions.

The two sides have agreed on a five- or six-year deal that will pay Wallace $10 million the first year and has a 12.5 percent raise each season afterward, the newspaper reported. The total value of the contract would be between $48 million and $64 million.

McDyess agreed to a four-year, $23-million offer, ESPN Insider Chad Ford reported Monday. A league source told Ford that an additional year would be guaranteed if McDyess plays a minimum of 60 games in the fourth year of the deal.

Neither player can sign a contract until Wednesday, when the NBA lifts its two-week moratorium on free-agent signings and trades.

That's very good news for the Pistons. This team is going to remain relatively intact, minus Okur of course. I like the Antonio McDyess signing alot, I'm hoping he can contribute significantly from the bench. Carlos Delfino, the Pistons other first round pick from last year is also said to be joining the team this year. He has apparently played very well in the European league and should give the Pistons a nice boost off of the bench.

Edited by VerbalPuke

It's a deal: Lakers send Shaq to Heat

July 14, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports   

The Lakers and Heat finalized a trade Wednesday sending Shaquille O'Neal to Miami, with Los Angeles getting Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and a first-round draft pick in return.

The deal, ending O'Neal's eight-year tenure in Los Angeles, had been on the verge of completion since Saturday, when O'Neal met in Orlando with Heat president Pat Riley and agreed to the trade. NBA attorneys approved it on the same day the league's two-week moratorium on player movement ended.

Acquiring O'Neal is literally a big deal for the Heat, who will count on the 7-foot-1, 340-pound center to transform them into a championship contender.

Advertisement

"I never imagined that we would acquire Shaquille O'Neal," guard Eddie Jones said. "It's once-in-a-lifetime trying to get a player like this guy. It's an unbelievable, unbelievable move."

At 32, O'Neal is coming off a season when he averaged a career-low 21.5 points, and he has missed 15 games each of the past three seasons with foot and leg injuries. But he's an 11-time All-Star with career averages of 27.1 points, 12.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks, and he changes the balance of power in the Eastern Conference, where there's a dearth of dominating centers.

The trade marks a return to Florida for O'Neal, who began his NBA career in 1992 with Orlando and still has a home there. He led the Magic to the finals in 1995, signed with the Lakers as a free agent in 1996 and helped them win three NBA titles.

Days after the Lakers lost this year's championship series to Detroit, O'Neal demanded to be traded, weary of feuding with Kobe Bryant and feeling disrespected by owner Jerry Buss. He's under contract for $27.7 million this coming season and $30.6 million in 2005-06.

O'Neal joins a Heat team that has reached the conference finals only once in its 16-year history and went 42-40 last season, instantly becoming South Florida's most high-profile athlete.

With the departure of three starters, Riley will build his team around O'Neal, Olympian Dwyane Wade and Jones, Miami's leading scorer each of the last four seasons. The Heat will now shop for help at both forward positions and backup point guard, and free agents will likely consider Miami a more appealing option with the addition of O'Neal.

"Everybody wants to be here now," said Jones, who played with O'Neal in Los Angeles from 1996 to 1998.

Each player involved in the trade must pass a physical before joining his new team. O'Neal is not expected to speak publicly until at least Friday, the Heat said.

O'Neal has already made an impact in Miami, with the Heat's ticket sales brisk this week. He's moving from one city enthralled by celebrities to another, but there are a lot more of them in Los Angeles than in Miami, and O'Neal is likely to become the biggest thing on South Beach.

"There's a lot of excitement going around in the city," Heat guard Rasual Butler said. "They call Shaquille O'Neal 'Big Daddy' for a reason -- because everything he does is big. And it's big news that he's coming here."

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

It's official now. I'd love to see Kobe go to the Clippers just because I hate Lakers management. Morons.