Pompey sack manager Alain Perrin

Lineker

• Admin

Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric has lost patience with Alain Perrin and sacked the Pompey manager after just under eight months in charge at Fratton Park.

Pompey had won just four of Perrin's 21 games in charge and lost 3-0 at Liverpool last time out, but Mandaric had vowed to take his time.

He told the Daily Mirror: "There will not be any changes for the foreseeable future. Alain will be in charge against Chelsea on Saturday.

"I believe we have enough quality to keep us in the Premiership and we have to keep faith with Alain. We've got to find a way of getting us out of this hole."

However, on Thursday morning he axed Perrin and placed Joe Jordan in caretaker charge.

Mandaric commented: "This has not been an easy conclusion to reach.

"Alain Perrin is a talented coach and a good, honest man who has worked extremely hard since his arrival in the summer. We are all extremely grateful to him for his dedication to the club.

"The view taken, however, is that recent performances and the general morale amongst the squad needed improvement.

"Following a period of thought and consultation with the board, the players, staff and supporters, I have made this decision for the future of Portsmouth Football Club."

Guest muddatrucker

He'll be great at halftime, when hes not racially assaulting Lua Lua, he'll be telling stories of Man Utd, just like he use to do on ITV commentary, regardless of who was playing.

I use to like Portsmouth, but now they annoy me, everything about them is Championship, even their kits, I mean look at it, at least those children at Nike have some form of quality control.

Mandaric has completly fucked his club by bringing in that technical Director leading to the departure of Redknapp. They were going along nicely and gently and he was building himself a good side, it all went down hill from there for them.

They need an Englishman to come in reignite the passion of a team who have some good players who can stay up if properly managed. I doubt Warnock will leave Sheffield, mainly because i don't think he is motivated by money. He has worked bloody hard to get Sheffield where they are now and I see no reason for him to leave. Sir Bobby did a similar job with Newcastle when he took over after Gullits knightmare spell. Obviously he doesn't have the money when at Portsmouth, but maybe a year spell with him moving upstairs to Tech Director and mentoring a young manager. We will see though.

Neil Warnock is understood to be close to tying up a deal which will see him installed as the new Portsmouth manager.

News that the former Plymouth Argyle boss is about to walk out on Sheffield United is sure to rock the foundations of Bramall Lane, where he has steered the club he idolised as a child into a promotion slot at the head of The Championship.

It is reported that Warnock has grown frustrated at the United board's reluctance to sort out a new contract and, unless they can hastily cobble together a suitable deal, it looks increasingly likely that the 56-year-old will be heading to the South Coast.

Portsmouth are also understood to have slapped a three-year £3.5 million contract on the table, as they look to bring some stability and discipline to their wayward dressing room.

Chairman Milan Mandaric has already confirmed that he has initiated talks with United, and he said: "Maybe I like one guy better than the rest, but I have got to look at the overall package.

"Perhaps we need someone to throw tea-cups and kick buckets around in the dressing-room. I expect an appointment inside the next two weeks, before our game at Tottenham, although it could be before that."

Other names to be linked with the Portsmouth hot-seat include former Newcastle chiefs Sir Bobby Robson and Ruud Gullit.