George Best passes away

probablyoliver

Football legend George Best dies

Football legend George Best has died in hospital at the age of 59.

Best died in intensive care on Friday afternoon following "a long and very valiant fight", said a statement from west London's Cromwell Hospital.

The ex-Manchester United and Northern Ireland star had multiple organ failure after developing a lung infection last week that led to internal bleeding.

He had been in hospital since entering with flu-like symptoms on 1 October, later suffering a kidney infection.

The statement continued: "The thoughts of all staff at Cromwell Hospital are with Mr Best's family at this time."

Best, a recovering alcoholic, needed drugs after a 2002 liver transplant that made him susceptible to infection.

The Belfast-born former footballer and television pundit had been prescribed medication to suppress the immune system and prevent his body rejecting the new liver.

At the time of his hospital admission in October, Best's agent Phil Hughes said his client had been "off the drink" before being admitted to the hospital.

Best is widely regarded as one of the greatest players to have graced the British and world game.

His heyday occurred during the 1960s, and he brought a pop star image to the game for the first time.

But the accompanying champagne and playboy lifestyle degenerated into alcoholism, bankruptcy, a prison sentence for drink-driving and, eventually, his controversial liver transplant.

He helped Manchester United win the First Division title in 1965 and 1967 and the European Cup in 1968. His role in the team's success was recognised by his becoming the European Footballer of the Year in 1968.

Best made 466 appearances for the Old Trafford club, scoring a total of 178 goals.

He also won 37 caps - scoring nine goals - for Northern Ireland.

Looking through the other thread I find a lot of you had a lot of offensive comments towards one of the greats. I'm not a big football fan, but I recognize true talent, and just because he had an addiction you guys act like cunts. I mean, seeing the compassion you showed Eddie the other week, I would have thought there would have been some more grown up and mature comments in the other Best thread, but you guys just acted like assholes.

Yeah, maybe he hasn't got the willpower to help himself, but it doesn't mean he hasn't wanted to get himself better. Coming from a family full of compulsive gamblers, alcoholics and addictions galore, I know how his family must feel, and I thought there would have been some maturity on this board.

RIP Besty, you'll be remembered as one of the greats.

Edited by Ollie Beak

Guest *Doink*

He certainly was one of a kind.

This news doesn't shock me though, it's been coming for years now, I'm surprised he lasted this long. It's kind of sad that a man with as much talent as he had will now mostly be remembered for his battles with alcoholism.

RIP George.

Looking through the other thread I find a lot of you had a lot of offensive comments towards one of the greats. I'm not a big football fan, but I recognize true talent, and just because he had an addiction you guys act like cunts. I mean, seeing the compassion you showed Eddie the other week, I would have thought there would have been some more grown up and mature comments in the other Best thread, but you guys just acted like assholes.

Yeah, maybe he hasn't got the willpower to help himself, but it doesn't mean he hasn't wanted to get himself better. Coming from a family full of compulsive gamblers, alcoholics and addictions galore, I know how his family must feel, and I thought there would have been some maturity on this board.

RIP Besty, you'll be remembered as one of the greats.

That's what I was thinking, if I'd have gone into the Eddie thread and called me a stupid fucking cunt for using drugs and drinking all his life, and thank fuck he's gone then I'd have likely been banned due to the uproar. People seem to think it's easy to get past an addiction as big as his was, it obviously isn't, and the comments he got were out of order.

I'll say it again, RIP Best, I HOPE you're always remembered for your brilliance, and not your mistakes.

Guest muddatrucker

The only person that acted a cunt, was him, I don't feel sorry for him but I do for his family (even that queer cunt Callum) for having to put up with the shit he pulled over the years. I'd of rather seen that liver given to someone who deserved it even if their body rejected it rendering it useless rather than allowing him to ruin it.

People felt sorry for Eddie because he had problems and overcame them, he didn't get priority over a transplant which he then allowed himself to waste.

Just because he's classed as a 'great' by some, it doesn't mean he deserves any more compassion than any other alcoholic who suffered the same fate, I'd of shit all over him regardless of his cult status.

The only person that acted a cunt, was him, I don't feel sorry for him but I do for his family (even that queer cunt Callum) for having to put up with the shit he pulled over the years. I'd of rather seen that liver given to someone who deserved it even if their body rejected it rendering it useless rather than allowing him to ruin it.

People felt sorry for Eddie because he had problems and overcame them, he didn't get priority over a transplant which he then allowed himself to waste.

Just because he's classed as a 'great' by some, it doesn't mean he deserves any more compassion than any other alcoholic who suffered the same fate, I'd of shit all over him regardless of his cult status.

Edited by Scott McFly

• Admin

This is a rememberance topic. If you want to pay your respects, post here. If you don't want to, don't post here.

I may not follow the sport, but I agree with the last two poster's opinions on the matter. However, this isn't the topic for it.

Guest muddatrucker

The first post was slating peoples opinions from the previous thread, so everyone has a right to reply, we've always been allowed to give our opinions at EWB without being censored, theres no reason why it should change now. Its a thread regarding George Best dying, anything regarding that seems fine to me.

Feel free to overrule me, but I'll post what I like and I won't punish those who take the same stance.

• Admin

The first post was slating peoples opinions from the previous thread, so everyone has a right to reply, we've always been allowed to give our opinions at EWB without being censored, theres no reason why it should change now. Its a thread regarding George Best dying, anything regarding that seems fine to me.

Feel free to overrule me, but I'll post what I like and I won't punish those who take the same stance.

I've no intention of punishing those who say what they want to either and I've no intentions of censoring anyone, lol. I was simply saying that as it is a remembrance topic, people will want to pay their respects to George and those who do shouldn't have to wade through other posts slating him. I'm simply trying to appeal to your better nature :P , I know you don't like him, neither do I. Which is why I'm saying nothing about him.

It's the same situ with my mates, they all adored him (he's somewhat of a hero round here in Belfast). So even though they've all been talking about him and all that shit, I'm trying to say as little as possible because I understand that they want to pay respect to the man.

Meh, whatever. I probably wouldn't have visited this topic again had I not of saw you'd replied.

On the field, he was a legend. Off the field, he couldn't overcome his alcohol problems. I feel horrible for his family, but I don't feel horrible for the way he lived his life post-soccer.

Rest in Peace anwyay, Mr. Best.

Edited by Magus978

I'm in two minds about his death, on one hand he was one of the world's greatest footballers in his prime, and should be remembered as such, but on the other hand it's hard to find any sympathy when he pissed away every single chance he was given to turn his life around.

I admittedly wanted him to die (as I think I said in the other thread), purely because his lease of life from now on would have been shit anyway (the drugs he was taking sap the immune system, so he would have been in and out of hopsital for the rest of his life), and because of the fact that he was given a second chance, and didn't take advantage of it.

However, alcoholism is a disease, rather than a way of life. He was a great, but its sad that this crippling disease took such a hold on him, and ruined his career, and then his life.

RIP George Best, to one of the greats.

Remember him for the ball at his feet, not the bottle in his hand.

Yes I stole that from somewhere.

Either way watching highlights it looked like a steam train was the only thing that could take him down, and earlier on in his career he'd just get up and walk away, it's a shame that so many people now don't need to be touched to fall flat on their face.

Wow, the Leeds fans were real pricks and any other team that done that during the minute silence. Like him or not he's one of Britains best and should be shown respect for his footballing abilities if anything.

Then again they're just a city full of terrorists. ¬_¬

Why everyone just naming Leeds fans? Liverpool did it, Man City did it and apparantly Tottenham did it (That's just what I've heard) but Leeds are the ones getting all the abuse

I don't condone the booing in any way. I was disappointed in our fans that did boo, although I am not surprised. I don't think the booing was aimed at Best though, but rather it being a Man United player getting a national minutes silence when Leeds players (Billy Bremner, John Charles) didn't get one previously.

Whilst Best is a great player, and arguably one of the best these isles have produced, I don't think that there should of been a National Minute silence for him, due to a lot of personal problems he had (Women beating, drinking etc) rather clubs should have chose if they wanted to hold one themselves

That said, I don't like any disrespecting of minute silences whoever its for and it was bang out of order.

RIP Best