Cactus 3:16

The New Musical Express  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is NME any good nowadays?

• No. It's shite.
    • Yes. It's great.
    • Yeah... but it used to be better.
    • It's okay.

Why do they have to be unbiased though? NME has a strong foundation in opinion, not bandwagon jumping as stated above. They've turned on bands almost as quickly as they've fallen for them (Art Brut I'm looking at you, you rubbish rubbish band).

In any case, calling Justin Hawkins an Idiot Nobhead isn't an opinion, its a fact. In general, and in terms of his ludicrous recent statement that British music is currently in the worst state its ever been and the Darkness are saving it with their non-derivative exciting soundscapes.

Why do they have to be unbiased though? NME has a strong foundation in opinion, not bandwagon jumping as stated above. They've turned on bands almost as quickly as they've fallen for them (Art Brut I'm looking at you, you rubbish rubbish band).

In any case, calling Justin Hawkins an Idiot Nobhead isn't an opinion, its a fact. In general, and in terms of his ludicrous recent statement that British music is currently in the worst state its ever been and the Darkness are saving it with their non-derivative exciting soundscapes.

They have to be unbiased because it's kind of expected in journalism? They're supposed to be Britain's most respected source of music journalism, I think they should be somewhat obliged. Fair enough, if an album's bad, give it a bad review, but "Justin Hawkins is an Idiot Knobhead" is opinion, no matter what way you slice it.

And are you trying to suggest that "turning on bands as quickly as they've fallen for them" is a good thing? Sounds like bandwagon jumping to me.

But you don't like Art Brut, so your opinion is invalid :thumbsdown:

I rarely buy it, but I usually flick through it in WH Smiths or something. I used to think it was good but it has gone downhill, take their Top 100 Albums of 2005 for example.

What was number one? And is it as bad as in the Cool List? According to NME, the guy from the Arctic Monkeys is the coolest guy in the country - despite the fact that nobody outside the walls of NME knowing the guy's first name. Very cool. :blink:

Here is the list in full if anybody hasn't seen it. Quite a few on there that I have never heard of.

50 Test icicles

49 Dead Meadow

48 Ladytron

47 Sleater-Kinney

46 The Duke Spirit

45 Shout Out Louds

44 Field Music

43 Engineers

42 Sigur Ros

41 Nine Black Alps

40 Brakes

39 Vitalic