Game Soundtrack

Benji

This was something I was mulling over while playing Prince of Persia. We all know that music in anything can set the mood, but I want to know, how does it change your gaming experience?

In PoP: Sands of Time, the music is arabian, very nice, it's kind of soothing and can make you enjoy puzzles, but in Warrior Within, the fierce rock soundtrack make me adore the battles, but you know that you CAN'T mix those two styles to make the best of both, it just wouldn't work. Personally I prefer WW because it's just music you can enjoy out of and in the game, where as SoT was something I wouldn't dream of listening to outside.

In Smackdown! vs RAW 06 I noticed a distinct lack of music during matches and I found it horrendously boring, I have made up my own mini-soundtrack for the game but it just doesn't feel right it not coming from the game :(

Music definately helps to make the game for me. For instance, I don't think I would have played Gran Turismo as much if it wasn't for the kickass soundtrack. I probably would have put my own CD on or something, but whatever >_>

Tony Hawks 1, 2 and 3 have the best music in my opinion, followed by Gran Turismo 3 or 4 and Wipeout.

Since I love and am genuinely fascinated by the background music in just about anything (films, anime series...), computer games are no different.

Should I point out that I'm listening to the Disgaea soundtrack at this very moment?

Music definately helps to make the game for me. For instance, I don't think I would have played Gran Turismo as much if it wasn't for the kickass soundtrack. I probably would have put my own CD on or something, but whatever >_>

Tony Hawks 1, 2 and 3 have the best music in my opinion, followed by Gran Turismo 3 or 4 and Wipeout.

Wipeout 2097, it was mostly mainstream music that I really didn't like, but when you play that game and the music comes on, something just clicks, y'know?

Should I point out that I'm listening to the Disgaea soundtrack at this very moment?

You should. I should also point out that two of my favourite game series have two of my favourite soundtracks, FF (although admitedly Nobuo Uematsu is a fucking genius and without him it isn't as good) and Tekken (in particular Tekken 3, Jin and Hwoarangs' soundtracks > *).

The same with films I find myself fully immersed in a game if it's got a soundtrack that sets mood perfectly.

On a similar note it's one thing that winds me up in a game a poor soundtrack. One of my biggest problems with SvR2006 was the way the soundtrack was the only custom music you could have for your CAW. I liked the older ones which had more soundtracky themes. The Necromancer just doesn't work right coming out to some hip hop track rather then the haunting themes he was able to use in older versions.

I love soundtracks. Halo 2 was so good. Preferred Halo's though. Less needless guitar masturbation is a good thing.

Knights Of The Old Republic games have awesome music as well and set the scene very well, despite it being a very open game (you can do whatever you want, go wherever at any time, etc), the music always adapts to suit the situation. I loved that. It also helped me figure out if I was being stalked.

Wipeout 2097, it was mostly mainstream music that I really didn't like, but when you play that game and the music comes on, something just clicks, y'know?

Which was the first one? I remember it having Orbital or Chemical Brothers and Supergrass, I think. I remember it being kickass.

Aye, the first Wipeout is credited with helping Sony make the PSX a mainstream electronics item rather than a videogames machine simply through the graphical assistance of the Design Republic to make it look cool and some of the first music licensing, like you said from the Chems and the Prodge, to make it sound cool.

I'm personally very partial to SSX3. Theres some pretty good songs to start with, but the way that the vocals fade out on really big airs or just suddenly stop after falls sounds beautiful.

Let's not forget the Grand Theft Auto series, they have a great soundtrack usually in any GTA game. I loved San Andreas's soundtrack, and it set the mood, and tone of the game very well then again =/ it was a radio.. but ehh it's regardless of that fact.

I love the Xenogears soundtrack personally but i'm a huge Xenogears fan so -.- that's to be expected.

I will say that I absolutely loved the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack, and all of its background music, to me it was wonderfully done, and made the game that much better, and the emotions in the game stick out. Despite low graphics, the music made the game quite a bit... I cannot imagine going through the game and not listening to "Forever Rachel", or Celes's theme, it's just a simply marvelous work on Uematsu's part.

MMORPG wise, Final Fantasy XI has the best sound hands down. The music is alot more relaxing/scene setting than WoW. That's one thing I love is music, and so in MMORPGs I've noticed so many MMO's fall short in this category, and it's really hard to do, but FFXI has a really nice job of having mood specific/area specific music that fits well.