The Christmas Invasion!

Timmoru Suzuki

So, what did you guys think? At first it just seemed a re-hash of 'Aliens of London' with a bit of 'Rose' thrown in, and the first half was OK, but a bit boring, with only the occasional good bit...... Then David Tennant 'woke' and the last half was fantastic! Just great! I like him as the new Doctor already.

Overall, the episode was very good (one decent half with one great half), they've actually created a GOOD new alien race (Sycorax seem well good, unlike the fucking slitheen. They could be a great new baddies for the new series), and David Tennant was great as the new doctor. I like how he seems 'familiar' in the sense he is a bit like Ecclestone, yet he's also obviously different...

I'm well up for the series now, after the good Christmas special.

Eddie Izzard needs to be the Doctor at some point. Apparently he was approached, but either turned it down or wasn't available. I think he'd be perfect for the role. I'd also like to see Noel Fielding play him, but more just to amuse me than for any legitimate reason.

As for this episode, I wasn't too impressed, I haven't really enjoyed any of the "new" Doctor Who so far, but at least they are creating new enemies instead of just murdering the credibility of the old ones.

David Tennant was a load of wank.

Seems like alot of old people are back in the upcoming Series (Harriet Jones, K9, that assistant to Tom Baker), and also Anthony Head. And who can forget...the ****ing Cybermen! Oh thank you god!

In other related news, that bit where "Torchwood" (isn't this the series with Captain Jack?) destroys the Sycorax was done very well.

Yes, Torchwood is an upcoming spin off series which will feature Captain Jack. Its pretty much an institute that does research into alien and paranormal activity. Sounds a bit X-Files like to me.....but with Captain Jack!

I found Tennant to be highly amusing.

"Oh I'm rude."

I think he'll fit right in, he's got enough of the cheeky chappy of the old doctor while changing the character of his own, I love his outfit too :blush:

The episode was very shit without a Doctor, the first half was just pointless back and forth as far as I felt, nothing worth caring about at all, but the second the Doctor woke up it became fine, almost as if the writers worried about him being outshined they gave everyone shitty lines beforehand.

I loved the preview of next season, if K9 isn't back permanently I'll sob my little heart out, when they get rid of Rose I'll be happy, not because I dislike Rose, but because her mother and Mickie do the same crap everytime she comes home, they were bad enough in the first episode.

That's been the biggest irritant for me sicnce it came back. They've spent all their time on Earth, which itself isn't a problem, but hanging around the current day and in the same location EVERY time. It'd be interesting if (as an example) the Daleks had figured out they could go back in time to a time when humanity was less advanced (e.g. Romans) and aniahalte them easier. Instead they stick around London in 2005. Not much travelling in that particularly. Lets see some of these distant worlds we've heard about!!

As for the Christmas episode itself. A personal highlight was the doctor starting to quote the Lion king to the sycorax.

Edited by lanky316

That was great, like I said in my first post, I liked Tennant as the doctor, and he was amusing. "Some great BIG button not to be pressed at all costs.... Well, I think I'm gonna be the kinda guy to do.....THIS!"

Or words to that effect.

Have to agree with Lanky, you have this machine to take you anytime, anyplace in the universe, and the furthest you go from home is Cardiff? Whatsupwiddat?

It seems the Doctor always has the same formula, Wacky but serious. Tennant was good, I'm going to have to admit, but I'm still going to have to wait untill the series starts before I start comparing him to other doctors.

And as for the Alan Davies thing, he would be a good doctor, if you see him on QI he's fucking hilarious. But as I watched on Jonathan Ross this week. I think he'd just make a brilliant doctor if he was more of an actor than a comic.

Also, I'm looking foward to the Cybermen coming back, they were my favourite baddy in the 'old' doctor who. And that thing about Mickey and Jckie, why don't they just go with them, instead of the Doctor and Rose coming back to visit them every few weeks.

Loved it. A few niggling problems, though:

The hand part just screamed "Star Wars" to me.

What the hell was "Sycorax Rock!" all about?

Usually, Doctor Who comes up with an original reason for an invasion of Earth. The Sea Devils claiming the planet was theirs after they had been in hibernation for thousands of years, the Nestene Consciousness wanting to harvest the planet to, basically, eat it, the Slitheen wanting to reduce the Earth to molten slack and sell it as fuel...a regular "we want the Earth" invasion didn't really cut it, especially as the Daleks had literally just done it in The Parting of the Ways.

In the first part, the evil Santa dudes attacked Rose, who said they were out to get the Doctor. Then, somebody plants a Christmas tree in the Tyler's living room to kill the Doctor. Then, nothing is made of this, and the Sycorax do not recognize the Doctor, Rose, or the TARDIS, making half an hour of buildup add up to nothing.

The Tenth Doctor supposedly brings down Harriet Jones' government by questioning her health. But the Ninth Doctor says in World War Three Jones was elected for three successive terms and built "Britain's Golden Age." I doubt a "Golden Age" can last the nine months between World War Three and The Christmas Invasion...

As for Series Two:

I love seeing the Face of Boe, Sarah Jane and K9 back. Anthony Head's character looks cool.

Despite the Cybermen looking mediocre, their episodes look intriguing.

The Doctor has a Scottish accent in one of the clips - what the hell is that all about?

Rose kisses the Doctor in one of the clips. Me no likey.

Edited by The One Bad Ass Outlaw

Loved it. A few niggling problems, though:

The hand part just screamed "Star Wars" to me.

What the hell was "Sycorax Rock!" all about?

Usually, Doctor Who comes up with an original reason for an invasion of Earth. The Sea Devils claiming the planet was theirs after they had been in hibernation for thousands of years, the Nestene Consciousness wanting to harvest the planet to, basically, eat it, the Slitheen wanting to reduce the Earth to molten slack and sell it as fuel...a regular "we want the Earth" invasion didn't really cut it, especially as the Daleks had literally just done it in The Parting of the Ways.

In the first part, the evil Santa dudes attacked Rose, who said they were out to get the Doctor. Then, somebody plants a Christmas tree in the Tyler's living room to kill the Doctor. Then, nothing is made of this, and the Sycorax do not recognize the Doctor, Rose, or the TARDIS, making half an hour of buildup add up to nothing.

The Tenth Doctor supposedly brings down Harriet Jones' government by questioning her health. But the Ninth Doctor says in World War Three Jones was elected for three successive terms and built "Britain's Golden Age." I doubt a "Golden Age" can last the nine months between World War Three and The Christmas Invasion...

As for Series Two:

I love seeing the Face of Boe, Sarah Jane and K9 back. Anthony Head's character looks cool.

Despite the Cybermen looking mediocre, their episodes look intriguing.

The Doctor has a Scottish accent in one of the clips - what the hell is that all about?

Rose kisses the Doctor in one of the clips. Me no likey.

He changed history as he always does, that was the point.

Cybermen with Sylvester McCoy takes me back to a scared childhood.

However the last series and this start to the new series of Doctor Who have both been highly disappointing.

Ecclestone did as well as could be expected, and there were a couple of good episodes (such as the one with Simon Pegg) but the writing ain't great and it's too contrived.

Never been the biggest fan of Doctor Who ever but David Tennant could possibly be the worst doctor ever....Kinda like a wacky pixie version of Richard Hammond from Top Gear....