Breaktrough bands for 2006

Animal

I can only hope that HORSE the Band, Ribspreader and Leng Tch'e keep kicking ass on their respective fronts. Leng Tch'e was a great surprise in the grindcore scene in 2005, and can only grow bigger and stronger. Ribspreader, while not wholly original, marches in the vein of Bloodbath and others in the new rise of more old-school Swedish death metal, unlike the Gothenburg melodying that has dominated the scene for most of the 90's. And HORSE the Band... Seriously, Nintendo-influenced screamo should have an opportunity to crack a niche for itself on the markets.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to check out HORSE The Band for a while. I hate screamo, but the "Nintendo-influenced" part has intrigued me for some time.

That said, Gay For Johnny Depp had better make it big this year.

Matisyahu's built quite the cult following in this neck of the woods, the single was #1 for 6 straight months on one radio station's weekly countdown. But that single is only going to get bigger.

Living Things probably has a chance, their album has been hyped to death and "Bom Bom Bom" is increasing in spins weekly around the globe.

Some to look out for: My Morning Jacket, Morningwood, We Are Scientists, The Exit, Hard-Fi, Lovemakers, She Wants Revenge, Aiden, Rock N Roll Soldiers, Allele, The Years and Towers of London.

CHALK UP NUMBER 1 FOR ME!!! :shifty: About half an hour ago I saw Jose Gonzalez on MTV Hits ("New Stuff"...or something similar)...then that cunt who won X-Factor came on, so my happy was ruined. :( With Joe-public lapping up James Blunt etc, José has a good chance to make it fairly big. His music is so mellow, it's beautiful. He has a good voice as well. And whilst I'm no guitar expert, his stuff on acoustic guitar sound impressive to mine ear (It may not be...but I like it).Plus the fact he is the most Spanish named Swede ever should give him success on principle.

CHALK UP NUMBER 1 FOR ME!!! :shifty: About half an hour ago I saw Jose Gonzalez on MTV Hits ("New Stuff"...or something similar)...then that cunt who won X-Factor came on, so my happy was ruined. :( With Joe-public lapping up James Blunt etc, José has a good chance to make it fairly big. His music is so mellow, it's beautiful. He has a good voice as well. And whilst I'm no guitar expert, his stuff on acoustic guitar sound impressive to mine ear (It may not be...but I like it).Plus the fact he is the most Spanish named Swede ever should give him success on principle.

Is he the one whos song is on that Sony advert?

If so, he (or that song was) was already getting a lot of airplay at the end of the last year.

Is he the one whos song is on that Sony advert?

If so, he (or that song was) was already getting a lot of airplay at the end of the last year.

I highly doubt that Sigur Ros will breakout anytime soon. They've had a little hype for Takk..., which is nice, even if the album is incredibly mediocre. Yes, it's more mainstream-accessable than their other works, but that doesn't mean is is mainstream-accessable. Give them a couple more years/albums to build up the fan-base, which grows exponentially whenever they play live in a city, but 2006 isn't the year.

As for who I think will breakout, eh. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah might, as they have a sound that people crave now, but I have a feeling that they've pretty much capped. So I'll go with M.I.A. She's exploded in the previous year, got to open for Gwen Stefani, and is now working on a new album with Timbaland. Normally, that isn't good news, but hey. It'll get her more attention.