Breaktrough bands for 2006

Animal

So yeah what do you guys think will be the breaktrough bands/artists for 2006?

I would put up my list but most bands I think will breaktrough over here in Holland are basicly already big names in the States and UK.

So help me out here, who to watch this year?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know as far as 'mainstream' breakout bands. Pluss 44 and Angels & Airwaves are bound to be there. Arctic Monkeys as well. If Something Corporate and Sugarcult get new material out then they could make it fairly big IMO. (Sugarcult especially...depends if Something Corporate are picked up on...they definately have a what would be popular sound). Plus I hope Sufjan Stevens and Jose Gonzalez. The new trend of singer songwriters (Especially in Gonzalez's case...one guy and an acoustic guitar) they may find a breakthrough.

I don't really know what albums are coming out this year. So it's hard to predict. :(

With the 'emo' trend I see Fire Apple Red and Silverstein both getting bigger followings. Silverstein's latest album was awesome. Not a big fan of FAR, but they have got talent.

Edited by YI-tzy McJewish

Aye but the second album was better than the first.

Plus 44, from their first song, is good. Sort of Mark's version of Boxcar.

Angels and Airwaves...well it they're ever half as good as Tom says they are, then they'll be the greatest band ever. I bet they'll be alright, probably not the best live band however as Tom doesn't have a very good live voice

I bet they'll be alright, probably not the best live band however as Tom doesn't have a very good live voice

He doesn't have a very good voice period.

I'm no good at predicting the future, so I'm not going to try. I'd make a guess that the Blue Scholars are going to get big(ger) this year, though.

I hope that the Angels and Airwaves project falls flat on its face just because Delonge is a douchebag and has hyped it up as something that it has no chance of ever being. "Musical Revolution?" Dude... I've heard you sing, you're awful.

Anyway, this year Fall Out Boy is going to get even bigger and all the bands that sound like them are going to have huge years as a result. Expect lots of airplay for Panic at the Disco, Motion City Soundtrack, Hawthorne Heights, From First to Last, etc.

Coheed will continue to get bigger as well.

Also, I expect Matisyahu to get a huge cult following this year.

I didn't mention Matisyahu because I was under the impression that he already DOES have a huge cult following. He does in Seattle, at least; his show here sold out thanks to a presale within a couple of days.

I didn't mention Matisyahu because I was under the impression that he already DOES have a huge cult following. He does in Seattle, at least; his show here sold out thanks to a presale within a couple of days.

He's huge on the coasts from what I understand, but he's just starting to break into the mainstream through the midwest. People are actually interested in finding out who the hell he is.

I suppose I'll say Panic! At The Disco and We Are Scientists, though to be technical, that's already happening. From the sounds of it, Flyleaf also could gain a following. And maybe Millencolin on the appeal of making a music video that's an homage to Sin City...

I too hope Angels & Airwaves falls flat on its face. Tom's a prick. He's so far up his own arse I'm surprised he knows when the sun's shining.

Whilst I don't really like them all that much (Granted they have some catchy songs...but I just don't really dig them) Panic! At The Disco could be big, the same goes for Matchbook Romance.

I'd expect this year to really be a breakthrough one for Sigur Ros, at least into mainstream. I've heard a lot of they're stuff as background music for channel 4 adverts and shows and they seem to feature frequently on MTV2 nowadays. I'd be very surprised if they didn't become a lot bigger by this time next year.

I'd expect this year to really be a breakthrough one for Sigur Ros, at least into mainstream. I've heard a lot of they're stuff as background music for channel 4 adverts and shows and they seem to feature frequently on MTV2 nowadays. I'd be very surprised if they didn't become a lot bigger by this time next year.