Breaktrough bands for 2006

Animal

I'd expect this year to really be a breakthrough one for Sigur Ros, at least into mainstream. I've heard a lot of they're stuff as background music for channel 4 adverts and shows and they seem to feature frequently on MTV2 nowadays. I'd be very surprised if they didn't become a lot bigger by this time next year.

They are on MTV2 a lot. :o Woah, awesome. I presume Hoppipolla (sp?) is getting played. I'm sure that's a single from the new album. It's an awesome song. The only time i've seen them on tele (Besides background music) was in MTV2's 100 greatest Videos countdown. When "Untitled 1" was #19 (I think). That song got me hooked.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miss Machine was a big hit for the Dillinger Escape Plan, so I hope their next album is their "blow up mainstream" one.

I think they're never going to be easily digestable enough to have a massive mainstream impact, IMO, but I would love to see it.

Some of their songs are easily digestable ("Unretrofied", "Highway Robbery"). But some of them aren't, I agree.

At the most, they could get some airtime on FUSE/MuchMusic USA here in the states.

Some of their songs are easily digestable ("Unretrofied", "Highway Robbery"). But some of them aren't, I agree.

At the most, they could get some airtime on FUSE/MuchMusic USA here in the states.

I must admit, I'm surprised at how little a lot of alternative music fans have heard from them, especially considering thier "cult" status among many.

So a little bit more widespread notoriety wouldn't go amiss.

I could really see Crystal Pistol going big this year. They're getting alot of air play with "Rockstar" and everything else on their debut CD rocks hard and I could see most of them as big songs. I'm not sure if anyone outside of Winnipeg knows who they are though, hell I only know them 'cuz they played at the Powerball show with Our Lady Peace, Strippers Union, Danko Jones, and some other people I think. God, I really don't make much sense when I post.

Coheed and Cambria will be the biggest band of 2006. CKY will (or at least should) get some decent exposure as soon as Island gets off their ass and releases another single.Sigur Ros' won't do well in the mainstream, it's too far "out there" despite how awesome they are.

I think Co&Ca won't really make it big. The CD came out in like September, and no doubt about it it is an incredible CD and they're an incredible band. I see their next CD being a breakout for them. If Coheed were to make it big then Welcome Home probably would have done it for them. I mean no doubt they're bigger than what they were before the cd came out, but they won't be a breakthrough band. But no doubt that they're getting bigger with every song they release.

I'm really thinking that Velofax will break through this year. I doubt they'll skyrocket into the charts or anything, but they'll definitely make their mark on the alternative scene.

They're fantastic, they're spawned out of the ashes of a couple of bands in Jersey, but are now based in London, and they've got a huge buzz about them.

Their sound is unique, but at the same time listenable and thoroughly marketable, it blends electro, funk, indie, punk and God knows what else into a thoroughly fantastic band, and Chris Wackrow is an amazingly energetic frontman.

If you ever get the chance to check them out, I thoroughly recommend it.

Also, Dead! Dead! Dead! should be making waves soon. Imagine The Futureheads crossed with The Birthday Party, with a dashing of Public Image Limited, and you're halfway there. I saw them last night, and they blew me away. Amazing stuff.

Guest The Trooper

Am i the only one who thinks that Towers of London could do pretty well?

I mean yes most of their songs are incredibly basic, yet are pretty catchy and could lead up to them being "The Sex Pistols 2"....

...If they dont kill themselves first by alcohol poisoning!

I really hope Motion City Soundtrack breaks through but they just released a cd last summer, and nothing off that album screams HUGE single.

I'm on the same bandwagon that says that Panic! At the Disco will hit big, although I can barely stand them. I can also see The Plain White Ts, Cute is What We Aim For, Death Cab for Cutie and Silverstein getting bigger.

If someone would have told me in January that Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, and The Killers would be this big at the end of the year I'd call you crazy. Though The Killers deserve it.

How do The Killers deserve it? I don't want to drag this off topic, but they're not doing anything new or interesting, or particularly good, they haven't been around for that long, and Brandon Flowers is an arrogant berk. I fail to see how they "deserve" to be anywhere near as big as they are.

Oh, and I'm hoping that, along with what I've already said, The Valentines and Kid Carpet make it big, and Art Brut get bigger. I'd love to see Son Of Dave and Jason Webley become household names, but that'll never happen.

How do The Killers deserve it? I don't want to drag this off topic, but they're not doing anything new or interesting, or particularly good, they haven't been around for that long, and Brandon Flowers is an arrogant berk. I fail to see how they "deserve" to be anywhere near as big as they are.

Welcome to the world of mainstream music.

I think the Killers deserve it, because they do commercial music which is better than a lot of other commercial stuff. Obviously, there are smaller, less recognised bands who smoke them for talent and ability, but relative commerically.

Meh, I just don't see it. I've never found The Killers to be anything short of dire, even The Bravery are more interesting, and that's saying something. At least the likes of Franz Ferdinand and The Kaiser Chiefs were doing something moderately original when they came about, while The Killers sound like a bad Duran Duran tribute act. Not to mention Flowers' slagging off of Brian Wilson, which just furthers my disdain for him.

To be honest, though, I don't think it's that possible to judge who'll become huge this year. If, in 2003, someone had told me that the next two years would see the Scissor Sisters, a band I thought destined to be nothing more than a quirky New York underground attraction, top the British charts, I would have laughed in their face. It's a funny old business.