News on "Grind"

Pepsi

"Variety brings a solid report on the highly-anticipated "Grind" horror flick, which will be a dual-story experiment from directors Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. Production is expected to get underway later this month.

"The Weinstein Co.'s highly anticipated experimental pic -- for which Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez are each set to helm a 60-minute horror tale -- is headed into production in the coming weeks, with Rodriguez readying to shoot his segment on his home turf of Austin, Texas.

Rodriguez's part, "Planet Terror," will be a zombie pic, while Tarantino's section, "Death Proof," will a slasher segseg.

Casting hasn't been announced.

"Grind" will be shot in the tradition of the '70s exploitation films that influences both helmers. Variety coined the phrase "grindhouse" to describe the seedy, downtown movie theaters that ran double or triple-features with only brief intermissions."

Edited by Pepsi

Dude, I seriously thought that this was a topic about that bad skateboarding movie from a few years ago..

Quentin + Slasher = :w00t:

Looking forward to all the films, hopefully they come out soon enough< I forget what its like watching a good horror film :P

"Grind" will be shot in the tradition of the '70s exploitation films that influences both helmers.

Well of course it will. Wouldn't want to force Tarantino to actually develop a style of his own. He does bring new meaning to the term "70's exploitation" however, so I suppose he's contributed that to pop culture. On the other hand, Robert Rodriguez is bad ass. So it's good news-bad news from my perspective.

"Grind" will be shot in the tradition of the '70s exploitation films that influences both helmers.

Well of course it will. Wouldn't want to force Tarantino to actually develop a style of his own. He does bring new meaning to the term "70's exploitation" however, so I suppose he's contributed that to pop culture. On the other hand, Robert Rodriguez is bad ass. So it's good news-bad news from my perspective.

Quentin Tarentino doesn't have his own style? News to me.

Unless you call "homaging" films of the 70s and 80s a style, then no, he doesn't.

Edited by Pepsi

I rewatched Jackie Brown last night and I have no idea what you are talking. What is intentionally cheesy about it? This sounds more like you just don't like him and have built this reasoning which doesn't make any sense. Your saying that by shooting his movies in a style not concurrent with modern filmmaking that he is a hack? :huh:

I rewatched Jackie Brown last night and I have no idea what you are talking. What is intentionally cheesy about it? This sounds more like you just don't like him and have built this reasoning which doesn't make any sense. Your saying that by shooting his movies in a style not concurrent with modern filmmaking that he is a hack? :huh:
Edited by .Beatnik

I'm saying that his films are more "entertaining" than "good"

Shouldn't every film be entertaining? I mean, not every film is, but that's probably the main goal of every director out there. If Tarantino designs his films to be entertaining and succeeds, then they're good in that aspect, because he's done what he has set out to do.

Unlike most repliers, I can't see this film being anything special at first glance. I'm a complete Tarantino fanboy, but the thought of him trying a slasher makes me cringe.