T In The Park

ADG

Opeth were fucking shit at Download, I wish they hadn't been there.

I've been to the last two Downloads, and htey were both awesome. There's not really stuff that isn't heavy at all though, unless you mean the stuff that was on Friday last year like Feeder and Garbage. Yeah, they're not as heavy, but they're still alternative acts, and judging from the lack of crowd reaction I saw for Feeder, I doubt they'll be going that route again.

All I heard about Opeth were how good they were (not just at Download, but in general live, whether it be gig reviews or reviews of the live DVD they have), but c'mon, they aren't really a festival act, especially if you look at the kinda bands Download has relative to them. They stuck out like a sore thumb.

And I'm not saying Downloads acts aren't heavy, just nothing compared to most of the acts you see at something like a Wacken festival. They tend to play the more "mainstream" metal/alternative acts (which makes sense, as they want to sell tickets), but they tend to avoid the smaller, more cult-ish bands, that possibly don't have the larger following. They have the odd band like that (like Arch Enemy, for example), but that is usually after they've had a big year commercially. Have In Flames or Soilwork played Download before, out of interest?

I assume, from what I've heard, that heavier metal (like, your black/thrash/death/grind) is much bigger on the continent, which is why you can have much larger festivals geared towards that kinda music then you could over here (although there are some smaller festivals catered towards this kinda thing) as the tickets would sell.

To be honest, I'd go to Download, Reading, Glastonbury and that dance festival (Creamfields, is it?) if I had the money for all of them, but I don't, so blah :P

Edited by rvdwannabe

All I heard about Opeth were how good they were (not just at Download, but in general live, whether it be gig reviews or reviews of the live DVD they have), but c'mon, they aren't really a festival act, especially if you look at the kinda bands Download has relative to them. They stuck out like a sore thumb.

In Flames were there last year actually. And why do you assume that if something doesn't go with the majority, I'll hate it? I said opeth were shit because they were. Could barely hear the vocals for a start. And the guitars sounded less like they were playing songs and more like they were jsut trying to be as loud as possible, it was just noise really.

Where did I say if it doesn't go with the majority, you'd hate it? I just said I've never heard bad things about them live, and that Opeth even playing Download seemed a bit weird to me, since there are no bands there that play anything like them. They stuck out like a sore thumb, so I'm not surprised if they got a mixed reaction.

EDIT: Yeah, I'd assumed In Flames had played at least one of the years, as would have someone like Soilwork...any idea if they've played Download?

Edited by rvdwannabe

Well, again, I read in mag reviews and from people who went there that there reaction was fine, and there set was fine (from the reviewers, and from Opeth fans....so thats arguably biased, obviously, although most fans can admit when bands they like are poor live).

However, I'm saying that I wouldn't expect people who went there for a lot of the other stuff to like Opeth or come away thinking Opeth were good, as they are different from most of the other stuff.

Edited by rvdwannabe