World Baseball Classic Thread

Maxx

First game starts in an hour, its the first match in Pool A, Korea Vs Chinese Taipai

Here's a thread for discussion of the games and the entire tournament.

My picks to advance to the next round:

Pool A: Japan, Korea

Pool B: Mexico. USA

Pool C: Cuba, Puerto Rico

Pool D: Dominican Republic, Venezquela

all the info can be found at www.worldbaseballclassic.com

Guest baseballfan2k6

Korea d. Chinese Taipei 2-0

Japan d. China 18-2

Korea VS China in about an hour

Japan VS Chinese Taipei in about 8 hours

If the first day is any indication, this tournament clearly has a playoff atmosphere. These teams are playing as hard as they can and are trying to win each and every game, something that's not typical in baseball. There's still 2-7 games left for these Asian teams and there are 3-8 games for the other 12 teams to play. I really pity those Italians and Aussies because they have to play in the same group as the Dominicans and Venezuelans. If that isn't a group of death, I don't know what is.

The other teams I pity are the Netherlands and South Africa. The South Africans might become the first team in World Baseball Classic history to lose all their games by the Mercy Rule and the Dutch don't stand a chance against Panama, Puerto Rico or Cuba.

In Pools B and C, there are 3 teams that have a real chance of advancing. Canada, Mexico and the US could all make it to the next round and Puerto Rico, Panama and Cuba are another intriguing pool. If the Cubans aren't up to the task of Major League competition, they might lose and Panama and Puerto Rico might go on to Round 2.

In Round 2, it will be the top 2 teams from Pool A and the top 2 teams from Pool B in 1 pool. The other one has the 2 top teams in the other pools.

I'm picking Japan, Korea, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela to make the next round. I don't think Team USA will do very good, because I doubt the players will take it seriously, since it seems very few other people here in America take this tournament seriously. They still think that baseball is an American-exclusive sport. They think that players will be hurt and it will adversely affect the Major League season.

How many people in Europe or South America complain about star soccer players going to the World Cup every 4 years to represent their country? I doubt there are more than 9 of them.

Korea 3 versus Japan 2 in the final game of the pool. Both teams advance to the next round.

I think this tournament is going to be great. Canada and Mexico is the game to watch, for me, because the Americans do seem to be taking it seriously, and should advance with ease. But hey, Japan was supposed to beat Korea, too.

If someone had told me Canada would stay within two runs, I wouldn't have believed it.

If someone had said Canada would have WON by two over the Americans, I would have laughed.

Holy shit.

what.a.win

Canada looked great until the middle when USA got into the pen. I knew going into this thing the pen would be weak without Gagne and Dumpster. Green looked good for the save though. Canada's has a great shot of advancing now if they can handle Mexico. The Mexicans can't be taken lightly as they have a lot of pitching depth and a decent order. I still expect Canada to win the game and move on to the next round. If the U.S doesn't move on it would be a disaster as no one in America would care anymore.

Adam Stern is awesome!

The World Baseball Classic I think would benefit from studying the success of the World Cup of Hockey.