Are music fans sheep?

Liam

I enjoy going to EWB as I do like the posters when it comes down to music discussion, and I've always liked trying to generate as much of it as possible, so I just wanted to question something, and see what other people though about it, and hopefully kick start a little bit of a discussion maybe.

My question is....is it a blinkered/non-existant idea to believe that music fans like the music they like purely because it is good?

This may sound a little weird, but hear me out. Anytime a genre becomes big, or a band does ( HIM, My Chemical Romance and Arctic Monkeys are 3 of the ones I can think of off the top of my head), people are very quick to belittle what they don't like, talking about "bandwagons" and "media hype" as to why the bands get so many fans.

What I've always thought though is that if a band doesn't have the ability to back up the hype, they ultimately falter or will get found out eventually. People aren't going to buy rubbish music just because magazine X tells them to, or because way of living Y believes that this band is the best thing since sliced bread, surely? Obviously, some bands get more coverage than others, and arguably, non-commerical output is generally better than commercial output, but even then, there are commercial acts that sell better than others do, and non-commercial acts who sell better than other non-commercial acts. Naturally, the number of sales a band has does not equate to how good or talented a band is, but I assume that there must be something in the music to generate this love for the band/artist.

I guess you can also argue as to how much certain bands are covered in the music media, but surely if a magazine offer you a chance to have that kinda coverage or your record label sign you up to everything under the sun, it isn't really the bands fault. Plus, the music magazines tend to hype the same bands....there must be a reason for this "stereo hyping", so arguably the bands they choose to hype must have something to offer.

There were other things I was going to say, but I'll leave it at this. I probably could have worded it better, but yeah, it was kinda off the top of my head. :P

Thoughts/beliefs/ideas/abuse welcome

Admittedly, I only skimmed the post, but I think I grasp the idea of what you were saying.

I tend to think that there are more sheeps on the side of "Band A was hugely popular but only because of the magazines and media, they totally suck and are the worst band ever and their tour bus should probably just explode with them in it." than sheeps who hop on a band's bandwagon. I find that a large portion of the fanbase for the poppy "current" type bands still like the music long after it's no longer popular, and therefore I can hardly consider them sheep. Most likely, they're only getting exposed to the bands that are current and popular, and so it only seems like they like every popular band, when in fact they are still picking and choosing what they like. If that makes sense. It's the people who turn completely against a band the second they become huge hits just to prove their vast knowledge of unknown bands that I find to be more sheeplike.

If anything I feel I can become guilty of becoming "anti-bandwagon" which is probably quite common amongst people wishing to feel superior to the people who wish to feel superior by joining the bandwagon (if that makes sense).

A couple of times I've bigged up groups just because they're weird or I feel that I should because they're in the same genre as music I enjoy however mostly I try to stay true to myself (afterall, lying about music tastes is only lying against myself - I DO like a few Kylie songs for example).

The joy is, everyone's view of "good" is different! So some people would say "This Gansta Rap influx into the UK charts is amazing...Great music". While I can't see what the hell they're talking about.

However I mention my enjoyment of Aphex Twin, Bjork, Polysics, Sigur Ros etc and I get my own share of raised eyebrows and behind the back sniggers.

So it all evens out.

It's kinda cool we all like different stuff and different people will jump on different bandwagons. I reckon we're probably all guilty of it to some extent in an attempt to show our 'individuality' or 'music knowledge' or 'superior taste'.

I think Every Time I Die said it best when they were talking about bands like Avenged Sevenfold:

"The kids see bands like Avenged Sevenfold come out with their mascara, and good for them. It's going to sound like shittalking, but they need that to keep their fans. If their music can't back them up then they need something to keep image, and that something is image. The problem is, that we see more and more people choosing image over music... and it frightens bands like us who are trying to be genuine."

I think Every Time I Die said it best when they were talking about bands like Avenged Sevenfold:

"The kids see bands like Avenged Sevenfold come out with their mascara, and good for them. It's going to sound like shittalking, but they need that to keep their fans. If their music can't back them up then they need something to keep image, and that something is image. The problem is, that we see more and more people choosing image over music... and it frightens bands like us who are trying to be genuine."

Nobody's love for a band is built upon or maintained by an image.

How do you know? Have you asked every single music fan on earth? No, that's impossible. I guarantee you some fans' interest in a certain band was sparked by image.

To be fair, Avenge has grown on me, and it has nothing to do with mascara.

I would tend to agree that the 'anti-bandwagon' bandwagon seems to grow more quickly, or at least, is more vocal, than the other side.

As for HIM, I've liked them since I first heard Love Metal, so the fact that they're hitting it big now is cool for me.

I've always argued against image over music.

If the music isn't good, than a "good" image won't help the band. Sure, it may get the initial attention of a type of fan (say, with Slipknot's masks) but if the music isn't good, what is in it for the fans just to like the band for the image?

By all means, like the image they portray, but don't like the band.

EDIT: And if I don't generally like a genre of music, I as often as not try and not pass judgement of it. How will I be able to objectively discuss someone like Jay-Z if I as a whole don't like rap? I try not to be hate on an act if a genre doesn't do much for me, just because I also believe that all music has it's place somewhere, whether I personally like it or not.

Edited by HGwannabe

I'm more likkely an anit bandwagon jumper. Not necesarily a deliberate thing. For example a band I'm not that keen on, (I'll use MCR for this purpose since it's pissing mew off with all my female contacts telling me how fit Gerard Way is.) Make it big, good for them, i'm not a fan but good fgor them. However.. I soon start getting magazine articles ramming them down my throat and people telling me how great they are and that, "meh I'm not a fan" soon turns into a "lets hope the tour bus get's blown up".

I suppose it's boredom hatred rather then anything else :ohwell:

In my case, I know what I like, and stick with what I like. I know that I'm going to find easy access to good bands through the genre's I'm into (the old punk sound, rockabilly, surf, oi, hardcore, whatever). I love discovering new music, but it's usually in some way derived from the genres I enjoy.

It's hard for me to say if people are slaves to flavor of the month. I think to a certain degree some people are, and will tend to gravitate toward whatever crap is handed to them. On the other hand, I don't know anybody like that. Every music I know enjoys whatever band because they enjoy the music, regardless of the hype or media attention. I'm the same way, I enjoy music purely for the music, and sometimes if the bands I enjoy were somewhat of a spectacle, it's an added bonus.

G.G. Allin is a bit of an obscure example I can use. A lot of people within the punk culture/scene are G.G. fans purely for his antics on stage with the defecation, urination, masterbation, and violence. On the other hand, I think G.G. had some damn good rock and roll bands behind him, and he wrote lyrics that complimented the music that his bands played.

Also, I try not to belittle bands that I don't like, because everybody has a different taste and it'd be arrogant for me to believe that what I like is going to be great to everybody. For the most part I stay away from discussions that involve bands I don't like, or don't know a damn thing about.

I'm in the same boat as Liam in reference to his comment about Jay-Z. I feel the same about rap or hip hop, and I tend to not talk much about it, unless it's an artist I actually do like. The same can be said for bands like Radiohead, I can't stand them, but I wont try and sway people's opinion on them or bands like them. They've obviously carved out their niche, and do have a spot somewhere in the music industry.