American Psycho

Bigal

You fuck, I thought this was Sean's game :(

I saw it was on last night too, but I never managed to catch it. I was talking to SDM earlier about it actually, and he's just watched the film again so he might be able to help you :P

Okay, I don't want to look dumb, but I watched this last night and...

Could someone explain the ending? I think I kinda half get it, but want to be sure

The film is about materialism, the fact that everyone is so concerned about their social status, etc. So much so that all the guys in the firm/clubs look the same, hence why they all keep getting each other confused throughout the film. The ending is basically the same as that, the lawyer guy gets him confused with someone else, also the same with Paul Allen, hence his claim he had lunch with him recently when infact he was dead.

Theres also other parts which are apparantly regarding the line "Your father practically owns the company Patrick, you can do what you want" in regards to the appartment being cleaned up and sold.

I've never 100% paid attention when it was on, but I thought the jist of it was that he was cracking up in front of everyone, but people were so materialistic they didn't even realise, and still don't.

Could someone explain the ending? I think I kinda half get it, but want to be sure

The film is about materialism, the fact that everyone is so concerned about their social status, etc. So much so that all the guys in the firm/clubs look the same, hence why they all keep getting each other confused throughout the film. The ending is basically the same as that, the lawyer guy gets him confused with someone else, also the same with Paul Allen, hence his claim he had lunch with him recently when infact he was dead.

Theres also other parts which are apparantly regarding the line "Your father practically owns the company Patrick, you can do what you want" in regards to the appartment being cleaned up and sold.

I've never 100% paid attention when it was on, but I thought the jist of it was that he was cracking up in front of everyone, but people were so materialistic they didn't even realise, and still don't.

Did he actually kill anyone though, or was it just a figment of his imagination? And what did that last line, something like "My confession has been for nothing" mean?

I assumed he had killed the people, and his confession being for nothing was that people were so wrapped up in thier own worlds, his problems had been overlooked and allowed to manifest/continue. As I said, I didn't pay 100% attention to it, so I may have missed some important parts of it...

Did he actually kill anyone though, or was it just a figment of his imagination? And what did that last line, something like "My confession has been for nothing" mean?

I assumed he had killed the people, and his confession being for nothing was that people were so wrapped up in thier own worlds, his problems had been overlooked and allowed to manifest/continue. As I said, I didn't pay 100% attention to it, so I may have missed some important parts of it...

HGWannabe has more or less nailed it. The point of the film is not actually to show the descent of Batemen but to show how ludicrous it is that the descent is allowed to continue by everyone around him as he continues to lose his mind. The fact that most of the people can't tell one from the other and are more concerned with looking good at dinners then any relevant issues whatsoever makes whether people are actually dying somewhat of a moot point; if a corpse rots in a bathtub and no one is around to notice, does it make a smell?

The best evidence for definitively whether Bateman killed everyone or not is his scene early in the movie with Lewis. The fact that he can't kill him, or jis assistant Jean later, suggest these incidents may be real... as no witness to his depravity survives the film (with a singular exception) and the end fate of him is left a mystery, what he did, and to who, is debateable, and beside the point. The movie isn't about the Psycho as much as it's about the America.

He also delivers an absolutely hillarious sex scene. I don't know if any better can ever be done.

Loved the movie, so then I read the book which I loved more, but in turn did not love the movie as much. If you liked the movie, I highly suggest you read the book as it is much, much better.

And listen to Matzat. The sequel sucked ass. I was hoping for a Mila Kunis nude scene, and it did not deliver. Not even Shatner could save it.