As a football manager, what would you choose?

Liam

Best choice as a manager?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Great goalkeeper or great defender?

• Goalie
    • Defender
  2. 2. Great midfielder or great striker?

• Midfielder
    • Striker
  3. 3. Great goalkeeper or great midfielder?

• Goalie
    • Midfielder
  4. 4. Great defender or great striker?

• Defender
    • Striker
  5. 5. Great goalkeeper or great striker?

• Goalkeeper
    • Striker
  6. 6. Great defender or great midfielder?

• Defender
    • Midfielder

Simple...if you were a manager, and could get anyone in the world, where would you start? Is a goalie more important than a midfielder, is a defender more important than a goalie, or does a striker trump them all?

Each category includes any variations on that (striker includes forwards, midfielder includes wingers, etc).

The reason I did the individual competitions is due to me being interested not just which is the most important as far as you are concered, but how they all stack up.

Goalie

Midfielder

Midfielder

Striker

Striker

Midfielder

If a midfielder has a good all round game he (or she :lmao: ) can carry a team (Steven Gerrard). A striker can cover a lot of weaknesses in a team if he bangs a few goals in (Darren Bent) and a keeper (think Schmeichel) can earn you points. Defenders are the most useless of all.

Went for mainly defensive & goalkeepers people. Have a great backline you dont concede, and if you dont concede you dont lose.

My way of looking at that is this.

You don't concede you don't lose, but you might not have someone who can score goals, so you might get a lot of draws, and snatch the odd win.

You pick strikers and midfielders, you may concede and lose some, but chances are you'll win some by purely scoring more than you let in.

Wins are worth 3 points, draws worth 1. If the gap in points was closer (like when it used to be 2 for a win), I'd agree with that way of doing it, but I'd rather attack, lose the odd game with my not asgood defence, but make up for it in the Win column.

After watch local non league team Hednesford have a terrible season i must say a Great Goalkeeper is nothing with a poor defense. One Week we lost 8-0 to Northwich Vic, our Goalkeeper made some good saves that day and generally played well but without a defense he couldn't stop a million shots without some getting past him.

However i do think it's very important to have some one that can lead a team in midfield. As midfield players can get back and defend yet also go foward and put balls through to your strikers. So i think a great midfielder is the most important of all.