VH1 Top Ten Metal Songs.

K

The top 10 greatest metal songs of all time are:

01. BLACK SABBATH - "Iron Man" (1971)

02. GUNS N' ROSES - "Welcome to the Jungle" (1987)

03. METALLICA - "Master of Puppets" (1986)

04. AC/DC - "Back in Black" (1980)

05. JUDAS PRIEST - "You've Got Another Thing Coming" (1982)

06. KISS - 'Detroit Rock City" (1976)

07. IRON MAIDEN - "The Number of the Beast" (1982)

08. SLAYER - 'Raining Blood" (1986)

09. OZZY OSBOURNE - "Crazy Train" (1980)

10. MOTORHEAD - "Ace Of Spades" (1980)

I've got eight out of the ten of these on albums. Nine if you count the Symphony Alive version of Detroit Rock City. I can't believe I don't own Back In Black :o I'll have to sort that.

Edit: Sorry. Here's the Metal Hammer article that went with it.

Here's who's in it...

Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" reigns as the #1 song in the definitive metal count down "40 Greatest Metal Songs" airing on VH1. The countdown, which began Monday, May 1 will culminate on Thursday, May 4 at 11 p.m., with the top ten songs of all time. Hosted by Sebastian Bach (who can be seen on VH1's "SuperGroup" beginning May 21 at 10 p.m.), "40 Greatest Metal Songs" kicks off its metal month and brings you the 40 most notable metal songs of all time in four rockin' half hour episodes. Whether epic, political, scary or downright silly, these tunes have one thing in common: they will rock your friggin' socks off.

Each half-hour episode of "40 Greatest Metal Songs" will feature VH1's panel of rock scholars and metal all-stars like Lars Ulrich, Scott Ian, Jerry Cantrell, Ronnie James Dio, Toni Iommi, Dave Mustaine, Lemmy Kilmister, David Draiman of Disturbed , Frank Bello, Riki Rachtman, Jacoby Shaddix of Papa Roach, Evan Seinfeld of Biohazard, Tera Patrick, Chris Jericho, Doro Pesch, Dee Snider and many more who will weigh in on this definitive list of the greatest metal music the world has ever known. ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian steps up to the metal month plate by writing and recording the show's original theme music, which is a first in VH1 history. Never before has an artist written and recorded the music for a VH1 show that they also appear in.

I have 4 of them on albums I have. Would have been 6, but I sold my best of Sabbath and best of Maiden.

EDIT: Well, 5 if you include the live version I have of "Ace Of Spades" on the "No Sleep Till Hammersmith" album.

Edited by rvdwannabe

All very good songs there. I'm glad they haven't tried to pull an MTV or NME or Kerrang by putting in bands like My Chemcial Romance and Trivium. Admittedly I only own three of the albums that's in the list. But my stepdad's collection means I have eight of them... Technically. <_<

Edited by God-Awful

All very good songs there. I'm glad they haven't tried to pull an MTV or NME or Kerrang by putting in bands like My Chemcial Romance and Trivium.

Though this is true, it also leaves us with a list of songs that rarely get pimped as being anyones favourite metal songs these days. You just always get the same songs thrown up, it seems, and it comes across as a little dated.

Can you think of a particularly iconic metal song of the 90s? They only one I can think of that could possibly be up there is Enter Sandman, and that's not as good as most on the list. This isn't a metal magazine/channel compiling this list, so it's going to be songs that most people are familiar with.

Cowboys From Hell was 1990. Walk was 1992... Those are killer metal songs. And fairly iconic. Not as 'important' as those on the list though.

Edit: DAMN YOU RVD. BEATEN TO THE PUNCH.

If we're compiling a list of Metal songs post 1990 that would fit on a list like this.. I would also consider... but probably not induct into a top ten, Enter Sandman, From Here to Eternity, Thunderstruck.

Edit: Oh and for the more modern vote: Surfacing.

Top forty.

Breaking the Law - Judas Priest #40

I'm Eighteen - Alice Cooper #39

Balls to the Wall - Accept #38

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple #37

Wait and Bleed - Slipknot #36

Metal Health - Quiet Riot #35

Paranoid - Black Sabbath #34

High 'N' Dry (Saturday Night) - Def Leppard #33

Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie #32

Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions #31

Epic - Faith No More #30

Caught in a Mosh - Anthrax #29

The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson #28

Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden #27

Refuse/Resist - Sepultura #26

Cowboys From Hell - Pantera #25

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC #24

Freak on a Leash - Korn #23

Enter Sandman - Metallica #22

Paradise City - Guns N' Roses #21

I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister #20

Man in the Box - Alice in Chains #19

Slave to the Grind - Skid Row #18

Live Wire [Kick A** '91 Remix] [Mix] - Mötley Crüe #17

Walk - Pantera #16

Bulls on Parade - Rage Against the Machine #15

Toxicity - System of a Down #14

Rainbow in the Dark - Dio #13

Bring the Noise - Anthrax #12

Peace Sells - Megadeth #11

Toxicity @ #14? A wee bit high me thinks... I stopped watching when Man in the Box came on, I got all emotional :(

Breaking the Law - Judas Priest #40

I'm Eighteen - Alice Cooper #39

Balls to the Wall - Accept #38

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple #37

High 'N' Dry (Saturday Night) - Def Leppard #33

Epic - Faith No More #30

Caught in a Mosh - Anthrax #29

Refuse/Resist - Sepultura #26

I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister #20

Slave to the Grind - Skid Row #18

Live Wire [Kick A** '91 Remix] [Mix] - Mötley Crüe #17

Bulls on Parade - Rage Against the Machine #15

Rainbow in the Dark - Dio #13

Bring the Noise - Anthrax #12

Peace Sells - Megadeth #11

Raining Blood - Slayer #8

You've Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest #5

These are the only songs I don't have off that list, although I thought I'd have the Def Leppard song.

Edited by ACCBiggz