Strategy Guides

Benji

Do you ever use strategy guides? I find myself using them a lot depending on the game, for example, on Prince of Persia I use them constantly (because I'm shit at it), whereas Resident Evil I try never to use it, I kind of group the two games into one genre but have hugely different opinions on how to use guides on them.

I use guides to help me learn combos on Tekken and I read guides to get 100% on Final Fantasy's (after a play through the first time without using them).

I see them as cheats, but I'd also rather cheat than get stuck on a game, get sick of it and never complete it, you know?

Buy them for RPGs mostly, for all other games I think they are wastesw, I might read an online one for he odd puzzle in an adventure game if I get really stuck and keep dying but I would never buy one for an adventure game.

The only one I ever used/bought was for Pokemon Yellow. I do though remember seeing one in the shops for Sonic 3 back in the day, and each level was mapped out in one huge continuous picture across a double page spread. Not that I'd ever need anything like that for Sonic, but it was damn sweet to look at.

I've never bought one, but I will use GameFAQs or something if I'm so stuck it's preventing me enjoying the game.

I hate it when I go to GAME or something and see people in the que buying a game and it's accompanying strategy guide. At least have a fucking go at the game first. It only narks me because they're usually the ones boasting about how quickly they beat the game.

Edited by Dragsy Twenty Seven

I'm a bum so whenever I get stuck I go into a shop and flick through to the bit where I'm stuck on (until they started wrapping it in cellophane, the cunts), vaguely remember how to do it and then walk out. Don't think I've ever bought one though.

Edited by Codename V

I'm a bum so whenever I get stuck I go into a shop and flick through to the bit where I'm stuck on (until they started wrapping it in cellophane, the cunts), vaguely remember how to do it and then walk out. Don't think I've ever bought one though.

Guest clintcasey

I don't even use stratagy guides for RPGs anymore myself. The only time I ever usualy use a stratagy guide is when I'm looking specificly to figure out how to find some item. Mario 64 for instence, I beat the game whole game without ever opening a stratagy guide. The only time I ever used it was to get all the stars after I'd already beaten the game.

Only time I've bought one was for Diablo. I needed to find a treasure or something and couldn't find it anywhere. Bought the guide, and it said it was on the ground somewhere random. So basically buying the guide was pretty much a waste of time. Itr turned out all I needed to do was fix the colours on my monitor so I could make out the floor of the dungeon.