20 Games That Changed The World

Yitzy

I can understand why all of them are there. All of them had new things that no other game had before it, and has since been copied (or will be copied) in the future.

Guitar Hero: Er, first game that allowed you to play guitars in it?

Pokemon: First game that allowed portable interactivity.

E.T: The Extra Terrestrial: First movie-franchise game.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater: I suppose it was the first game to be endorsed and helped to be created by a sportsperson.

Street Fighter II: Revolutionized beat 'em ups.

GoldenEye 007: First game of it's type to have such detail and just everything you see in FPS nowadays.

Nintendogs: First er...interesting DS game?

Counter-Strike: Revolutionized online FPS for PCs.

Tetris: It's Tetris.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Started the whole Sega/Nintendo war, which really made both companies try to beat each other. And it started the Sonic games, which were great.

Mortal Kombat: Like Street Fighter really.

Dance Dance Revolution: First franchise of interactive dancing game (for consoles anyway).

Sim City: One of the first sim games to become popular, and detailed, and extremely addictive.

John Madden Football: First endorsed sports game, that wasn't shit.

Halo 2: Revolutionized online FPS for consoles.

Pac-Man: It's Pac-Man.

Doom: The original FPS revolution (and Castle Wolfenstein too to be fair).

Super Mario Bros. 3: Took the Sonic-style games to greater heights.

Grand Theft Auto III: One of the first 3D free-roaming games that gave you complete freedom of a simulated world.

World of Warcraft: Revolutionized MMORPG games.

But a lot of those did the same things (like MK/SFII). And some aren't that important (ET, THPS). I mean, where the fuck was Zelda? Mario 64 would have been suitable too. And Halo 2 did for consoles what Counter-Strike (and Half-Life and other such games) already did on the PC, so is only really acceptable on a technicality. And before that, there was Goldeneye, which wasn't that revolutionary in comparison. And before that was really the birth of online FPS in Doom.

Seems like a very biased list to be honest, and only a few changed the 'world' (like Mario, Doom, Pac-Man, Tetris, etc). If you haven't played those games, then you are almost retarded in a gaming sense.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand why all of them are there. All of them had new things that no other game had before it, and has since been copied (or will be copied) in the future.

Guitar Hero: Er, first game that allowed you to play guitars in it?

Pokemon: First game that allowed portable interactivity.

E.T: The Extra Terrestrial: First movie-franchise game.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater: I suppose it was the first game to be endorsed and helped to be created by a sportsperson.

Street Fighter II: Revolutionized beat 'em ups.

GoldenEye 007: First game of it's type to have such detail and just everything you see in FPS nowadays.

Nintendogs: First er...interesting DS game?

Counter-Strike: Revolutionized online FPS for PCs.

Tetris: It's Tetris.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Started the whole Sega/Nintendo war, which really made both companies try to beat each other. And it started the Sonic games, which were great.

Mortal Kombat: Like Street Fighter really.

Dance Dance Revolution: First franchise of interactive dancing game (for consoles anyway).

Sim City: One of the first sim games to become popular, and detailed, and extremely addictive.

John Madden Football: First endorsed sports game, that wasn't shit.

Halo 2: Revolutionized online FPS for consoles.

Pac-Man: It's Pac-Man.

Doom: The original FPS revolution (and Castle Wolfenstein too to be fair).

Super Mario Bros. 3: Took the Sonic-style games to greater heights.

Grand Theft Auto III: One of the first 3D free-roaming games that gave you complete freedom of a simulated world.

World of Warcraft: Revolutionized MMORPG games.

But a lot of those did the same things (like MK/SFII). And some aren't that important (ET, THPS). I mean, where the fuck was Zelda? Mario 64 would have been suitable too. And Halo 2 did for consoles what Counter-Strike (and Half-Life and other such games) already did on the PC, so is only really acceptable on a technicality. And before that, there was Goldeneye, which wasn't that revolutionary in comparison. And before that was really the birth of online FPS in Doom.

Seems like a very biased list to be honest, and only a few changed the 'world' (like Mario, Doom, Pac-Man, Tetris, etc). If you haven't played those games, then you are almost retarded in a gaming sense.

True that Goldeneye and Sonic can be tossed off the list, but I'll just address E.T.

E.T. is on the list not because of the movie or the Reese's peices. It's because it's possibly the worst game ever produced in the history of mankind. Singlehandingly creating the downward slide that was the video game crash is why that bitch is on the list. What other game can you think of that has unsold copies of it buried in a landfill in Vegas/Texas/I forget.

Yeah, but no one except America gave a shit.

Yeah, but there were still lots and lots of games before that that were endorsed, beyond what you said. :P

GODAMMUT SHAMMY! >_<

My original point was Tony Hawk did it for fun, not profit (apparently) and played a big part in making the game, and he and his skater chums chose the music and such. I don't think John Madden really cares about the games anymore, he's paid so they can use his name on it. Free money kicks ass.

Although...I suppose Hawk will eventually end up like Madden, or he'll disassociate himself.

I was thinking along the lines of all those years that Wayne Gretzky associated himself with hockey games, I don't think he's that much of a profit man himself.

Yeah, but no one except America gave a shit.

Yeah, but there were still lots and lots of games before that that were endorsed, beyond what you said. :P

GODAMMUT SHAMMY! >_<

My original point was Tony Hawk did it for fun, not profit (apparently) and played a big part in making the game, and he and his skater chums chose the music and such. I don't think John Madden really cares about the games anymore, he's paid so they can use his name on it. Free money kicks ass.

Although...I suppose Hawk will eventually end up like Madden, or he'll disassociate himself.

Edited by The Kraig

To TheKraig, Guitar Hero wasn't the first game to allow you to play a guitar.

Back in the early 90s there was a game released that had you playing a guitar peripheral. You "practiced" in your garage before joining a band and playing bigger and bigger gigs.

So there.