Naming Your Character

PkmnTrainerJ

The second time I played through FFVII I named everyone "Sephiroth". Dialogue was often humerous and confusing.

Other than that I use default names, except for calling Red XIII 'Nanaki' and Garnet 'Garnet' (instead of Dagger).

However, when playing multiplayer FPS games like Red Faction or Perfect Dark, we always change names to things like "A Cunt" or "Cancer", so that when you get killed it comes up as "Cancer has killed Player 1" or "You have been killed by a cunt." It makes us chuckle, it really does.

Edit: However, that last one did lead to one problem when I had people round to play a Bond game, and one of my friends Mum had died of lung cancer a few months previous. His name was "Your Mum" and someone else (who didn't know about what had happened) was called "Cancer". Then when the inevitable happened it came up on the screen "Cancer has killed Your Mum". The silence when that happened was shocking.

Edited by Ollie Beak

The second time I played through FFVII I named everyone "Sephiroth". Dialogue was often humerous and confusing.

Other than that I use default names, except for calling Red XIII 'Nanaki' and Garnet 'Garnet' (instead of Dagger).

However, when playing multiplayer FPS games like Red Faction or Perfect Dark, we always change names to things like "A Cunt" or "Cancer", so that when you get killed it comes up as "Cancer has killed Player 1" or "You have been killed by a cunt." It makes us chuckle, it really does.

Edit: However, that last one did lead to one problem when I had people round to play a Bond game, and one of my friends Mum had died of lung cancer a few months previous. His name was "Your Mum" and someone else (who didn't know about what had happened) was called "Cancer". Then when the inevitable happened it came up on the screen "Cancer has killed Your Mum". The silence when that happened was shocking.

I usually call the main character after myself as i like to emerse myself as much as possible in the game, the other characters use to be named after friends but i find it a better expreince to leave them named as they are. I'll never forget naming Cait Sith after one of my friends and then getting pissed at him, good memorys.

I named my Final Fantasy character "Fuck You". I think it's Final Fantasy 10, the game where the stupid character plays in the weird sports league with the pseudo Samoan characters. I named him Fuck You because a kid asked me for my autograph, and I had hoped they'd actually write "fuck you" on the ball I autographed. I was dissapointed when the ball didn't say fuck you.

My cousin named the Final Fantasy 8 character "VIOLENT" due to my suggestion.

Bwahaha, I did that once, but naming everyone Red XIII.

And first time playing through FF9, I gave Garnet the nickname "Cabbage", not realising that the nickname she gave herself would be her name for the rest of the game. And I called Griever "Larry" on FF8, which was fairly amusing when it got to the end. And Rinoa's dog got all manner of "comedy" names, but the only one I remember was "Mangy". I also once renamed Rinoa to "Rhino", and then the next time I played through to "Prisoner", based solely off how much I laughed when you're imprisoned and one of the soldiers asks "Is there a Rhino in here?"

I remember renaming Steiner in ff9 rusty

I did that too.

Edited by Skumfrog

Guest Zeokage

I remember naming Rinoa and Squall... Buffy and Angel when I first played FFVIII. My first game of FFVII went with school friends. My brother named all his FFIX characters after himself, just with slight variations. Looked way too confusing to say the least.

I suppose next time I play FFVII Aeris will turn into Aerith.

Edited by Zeokage

I call characters all types of names in Final Fantasy games. Nothing beats a good old "Faggot" or "Cock Breath" when you're reaching the final ends of the game. I called Cloud "Cuntlips" once which was hilarious when I got to the Temple of the Ancients.

But in things like Pokemon, I use names of movie rivals and stuff. When I first got the game. Red became "Bret" and Rival became "Shawn".

When I'm entering names into shoot-em-ups, I do things like Ollie does. "Aids" is always a popular choice.