Champions League Final

Evafreak

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry questions referee

Arsenal captain Thierry Henry was far from happy with the referee after Arsenal's UEFA Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.

After having Jens Lehmann sent off early in the first half, Arsenal went ahead through Sol Campbell.

But second half strikes from Samuel Eto'o and Juliano Belletti handed the Catalan giants victory.

Henry refused to blame match referee Terje Hauge for defeat, but he was less than pleased with his performance.

"I think we can be proud of ourselves and I don't want to start any arguments, but I don't know whether the referee had a Barcelona shirt on or something - in the first half they kicked me all over the place," he told Sky Sports.

"They are not used to the pace of The Premiership or maybe the desire, I thought they were harsh - I told the ref, 'If you don't want us to win it, just tell us from the start.'

"I don't think he cost us the final, you can't say that because we were one-nil up, and you know against a team like Barcelona - doing what we did for a very long time was more than difficult, but on the other side - next time I might learn how to dive maybe, they tried to kick me in my knee, from behind on my ankle but I am not a woman so I try and stay on my feet - but I always expect the ref to do his job, but today he didn't.

"At the end of the day they [barcelona] can be happy, but we have played at ten for the whole game."

Henry insists that Swedish legend Henrik Larsson changed the game as he had a hand in both Barca goals.

"People always talk about Ronaldinho, and everything but I didn't see him today - I saw Henrik Larsson," he said.

"Two times he came on - he changed the game, that is what killed the game - sometimes you talk about Ronaldinho and Eto'o and people like that, you need to talk about the proper footballer who made the difference and that was Henrik Larsson tonight because I didn't see no Ronaldinho or no Eto'o or a proper referee also."

The French international again refused to be drawn on his future.

"I said I didn't think about it, I will start to think about it tonight," he said.

"I am just upset about the match we did - I can't complain about Jens's sending off, I am sure if you look at the game again Puyol should have got a yellow card, so many times Marquez came from behind to take my ankle and he didn't get a yellow card and I am sure if you are playing against me with a yellow card it is not the same game anymore.

"But we can be proud of what we did, I am upset for the Arsenal fans who came - but at the end of the day we made ourselves proud and the English game proud and I am a just a bit strange, but you know that is how it is."

From Sky Sports.com, it's more or less what he said at full-time.

TMM, you do know about the amendment to the play-on rules now I take it? If a player commits a professional foul, and the referee allows play on from which the opponents score, he can still go back and send off the player who committed the professional foul.

Fair enough, by that rule he should have let the goal and sent him off. But he didn't.

But he was buying fair, he could have let the goal go in, then sent him off for a professional foul, or blow up & send him off. Thus only one problem hitting Arseynal.

& I hate Eboue.

Why Eboue?

I think Micky Gray send it best to Fabregas at Ewood this year:-

"Get up you cheating, cheating cunt".

Haha, Blackburn fans talking about cheating...

....hahahah...

..:shifty:

Savage...Bellamy... ;)

Why Eboue?

....hahahah...

Savage...Bellamy... ;)

I left my point for people to work out.

God I hate you....

Why Eboue?

....hahahah...

Savage...Bellamy... ;)

God I hate you....

I felt the need to elaborate...I blame the referee <_<

Why Eboue?

....hahahah...

.. :shifty:

Savage...Bellamy... ;)

God I hate you....

Don't hate god, hate me.

At least I exist.

With your imaginary goal?

With our secret weapon...half-time lasagne...¬_¬

lol, i thought it was only Spurs that eat that. :D

I am a Blackburn fan and yes we do cheat to win, take the goal at Newcastle with the mike Tyson style punch.

Barcelona players are notoriously not clever (like Spurs :shifty:). Arsene Wenger would've gone into their dressing room at half-time with a chef's hat with some of the famous lasagne and they'd be none the wiser...

Get in!

And yes, I supported Liverpool in last years final.

I just think Barca deserve to finally win a European trophy.

You mean again, right? :P

Overall, it was a good game - good, not great - to watch, as a neutral. The refereeing was appalling, toward both sides. Didn't seem to see much of Henry or Ronaldinho. Giuly and Cole were more prominent. In my opinion anyway.

And am I alone in the school of thought that, as a Barca player/the manager, I would've preferred the sending off to the goal? Meh. Regardless, he needed to be sent off, and he was, so I guess I would've gotten my way.

I guess the jist of it is that goals win matches, not sendings off.

Thought it was a really good game personally. Agreed with the sending off as well. Arsenal were great on the night but I thought Barcelona were certainly as good and pretty much deserving of the win, certainly the best team in Europe without a doubt. While most are saying Ronaldinho didn't do much, I thought he was great tonight. Not at his best but he played some super balls at time and did have a pretty big impact on the game, just it wasn't in the usual way.

Bit sad to see Arsenal lose in a way, in all fairness they have been outstanding in Europe this season and while I think the better team certainly won, certainly got to say Arsenal were mighty unlucky, I really did start thinking they were going to do it after that Cambell goal. Their defense was great at times though, that's a huge plus to bring out of the game, they've really sorted the back four out now.

Great game, great victory. Wouldn't be surprised if Barcelona were to do a repeat of this next season too, they really are the best team around.

Guest Heresy

This game was almost identical to the Barcelona/Chelsea game earlier this year at Stamford Bridge. 10 men going one up then losing it. Arsenal seemed to come out for the second half fully prepared to defend for 45 minutes which was ultimately their downfall, there was no outlet, nowhere to relieve the relentless pressure.

Edited by Heresy

Get in!

And yes, I supported Liverpool in last years final.

I just think Barca deserve to finally win a European trophy.

You mean again, right? :P

Overall, it was a good game - good, not great - to watch, as a neutral. The refereeing was appalling, toward both sides. Didn't seem to see much of Henry or Ronaldinho. Giuly and Cole were more prominent. In my opinion anyway.

And am I alone in the school of thought that, as a Barca player/the manager, I would've preferred the sending off to the goal? Meh. Regardless, he needed to be sent off, and he was, so I guess I would've gotten my way.