Rooney's Scan Brought Forward

Rooney scan date brought forward

The next scan on Wayne Rooney's broken foot will now take place on 7 June - a week earlier than originally planned.

Rooney, 20, had been due to fly to Germany with the rest of the England World Cup squad on 5 June, returning a week-and-a-half later for the scan.

However, it was decided at a meeting on Monday to bring that date forward.

The deadline for England to change their squad is 9 June, which means now they will have time to replace Rooney should the scan provide bad news.

If the scan had remained on 14 June, and if Rooney had been passed unfit for the tournament, England not have had the option of replacing him.

Jermain Defoe of Tottenham and Andy Johnson, set to move from Crystal Palace to Everton, are the strikers standing by to replace Manchester United man Rooney if he cannot play at the World Cup.

However, if the scan on 7 June shows that the fourth metatarsal in Rooney's right foot has healed, he would have three days to get fit for England's first group game or, more likely, two-and-a-half weeks to prepare for the first knockout round match should Englsnd qualify.

Monday's meeting, at Manchester United's Carrington training ground, was attended by Sir Alex Ferguson, England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and medical experts from Rooney's club and the national team.

A statement issued by Manchester United read: "It has been agreed to obtain a further precautionary CT scan on June 7 in order to help the England management to make a decision (on Rooney's fitness) before the deadline of 9 June.

"Both parties agree that everything possible is being done to aid recovery of a fracture that involves the joint."

I came from Entertainment and saw "Rooney's Scan Brought..." thought he'd had his original scan and someone was buying the scan photos on eBay, I came here to laugh at the dedicational craziness of some of Englands best, instead I'm told he might be able to play at the World Cup? Urgh, I hope someone shatters his legs so the rest of the squad actually gets a look in as 'heroes'.

They should leave Rooney off the squad all together this time around... If England centralise everything around him again - then we'll see another case of Euro 2004, where the squad went to buggery when he was taken off against Portugal. They should be drafting in a new guy now and conditioning him instead of sloppily putting in someone else if he is declared unfit. Its not like this is Rooney's last chance for glory... He's 20 years old for god sake!!! He'll still be younger than the majority of the squad for Africa 2010!

Rooney will be fit for the WC, its gamesmanship, key player out,before first game, "Rooney miracle", he's back in squad, boost to England, knock to every other team.

They did it with Beckham in 2002.

Cant wait to see Walcott play.

Walcott won't play.

At all.

He's not experienced enough for that stage, he looked nervous in a B international against Belraus last week, why throw him on and risk everything when he's too inexperienced?

I'd bring Lennon on though.

Guest muddatrucker

Its not called arguing, its called saying one thing, then saying something else when questioned, you could at least of edited the first post.

Yes, I am right. He didn't seem nervous in that game at all.