World Cup 2006

Dan

Alright. Before this place goes to hell with the chat on England playing later this morning, I figure I post this up.

Please rate my squad in my fantasy league. Also note I have very limited knowledge of international football (being American and all) and only watch the World Cup and the rare Premiership match.

GK

KAWAGUCHI Yoshikatsu - Japan

VAN DER SAR Edwin - Holland

KAHN Oliver - Germany

D

ROBERTO CARLOS - Brazil

METZELDER Christoph - Germany

DE LA CRUZ Ulises - Ecuador

PUYOL Carlos - Spain

LEE Young Pyo - South Korea

SORIN Juan - Argentina

AL MONTASHARI Hamad - Saudi Arabia

M

DECO - Portugal

NEDVED Pavel - Czech Republic

TOTTI Francesco - Italy

BALLACK Michael - Germany

ZIDANE Zinedine - France

DONOVAN Landon - United States

RONALDINHO - Brazil

F

VAN NISTELROOIJ Ruud - Holland

RONALDO - Brazil

MCBRIDE Brian - United States

OWEN Michael - England

BORGETTI Jared - Mexico

HENRY Thierry - France

The rule is, I could only take three players from any country. So that got me to pick names from blah countries (like the Korean, the Saudi, the Ecuadorean)

Awesome start to the World Cup. I was rooting for Costa Rica of course because it's always great to see the home side lose in the opening match like in 2004 with Portugal versus Greece. Me and my mate went nuts when Paulo Wanchope scored 1-1, but I knew Germany would score another goal. I really didn't expect Costa Rica to score another goal after the 3-1 fell but when they did I really thought they could score 3-3 but almost the entire Costa Rica team didn't even try to get a third goal. Frings' screamer was amazing I admit. Germany was pretty good going forward with Schweinsteiger, Klose, Podolski (who tried too hard to score), Schneider and Borowski. But I think when this Germany meets a better side they'll shit their pants.

Poland - Ecuador looked boring on paper but that didn't stop me from watching it 'cause I wanna see every damn match! I expected way more from Poland for some reason and I expected way less from Ecuador. Valencia looks like a great player (I did like his yellow boots). First I thought Poland would come back into the game but then I changed my mind and I said: "Ecuador is going to score 2-0" and I was right :D If Ecuador keep playing like this they can give Germany a hard time 'cause those German defenders suck ass. I also expect Poland to make some sort of a comeback and beat Costa Rica and maybe even Germany (which would mean Germany might not even go through :) )

Can't wait 'till the first match tonight, I'm going to be watching the entire day. Three matches in a row, I'm in footy heaven!

Predictions:

England 2 - 0 Paraguay

Sweden 4 - 0 Trinidad and Tobago

Argentina 1 - 1 Ivory Coast