Brandon Flowers

Benji

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But how can you argue that a band's great when half the population that don't listen to that genre have never heard of them? You don't have to like Led Zeppelin, but you know who they are. You don't have to like Metallica, but you know they are. Get the drift here? None of these bands in the current era of music (all of music, possibly), like Liam said, will be remembered and that is a bar of success at times.

I completely disagree with that argument. Just because one band's more popular or more well-known doesn't mean it's greater. By that logic, all these emo bands like FOB and MCR are "great", because more people have heard of them then have heard of some of the (much better) bands that PRP just listed, when that's clearly not true.

In my opinion, Carnival In Coal are one of, if not, the greatest metal band in the world. Yet not even the tiniest fraction of people who have heard of Metallica will have heard of them, does that make Metallica better? Fuck no, it doesn't.

As much as FOB is overplayed, Wentz has mostly come off as a class guy through it. I remember watching him at the Movie Awards and thinking he seemed like a regular guy and all afterwards. He seems like a decent guy.

The problem with your disagreement is that it's completely subjective. You may think that they're a better band, but a majority of the music population obviously disagree with how successful Metallica has been and the fact that I've never heard of Carnival of Coal. That's not exactly the greatest measuring stick either, but you can't really say a band is great without it being your opinion. Other than Led Zeppelin, of course. <_<

The irony.

You are telling other people that arguments are subjective, YET you claim that there isn't a single great emo band. Pot-kettle-black. And if you are going by the majority of the music population, than wouldn't My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy be considered good, because lots and lots of people like them, just like lots and lots of people like Metallica.

And for the people who are questioning the bands I listed.

1) You asked for great emo bands. Not great AND popular emo bands. Just because you don't know the bands doesn't mean they aren't good.

2) Pinkerton by Weezer is an emo album. As I stated before, the artists I listed have albums or bodies of work that are considered emo. Are Weezer emo? No. But at one point in their career they were.

3) Just because Alexisonfire sound different than the "mainstream shit that Flowers is talking about" doesn't mean it isn't emo. Do the Clash and the Sex Pistols sound alike? No, but they are both punk. Just like how Alexisonfire are emo and so are Fall Out Boy.

The problem with your disagreement is that it's completely subjective. You may think that they're a better band, but a majority of the music population obviously disagree with how successful Metallica has been and the fact that I've never heard of Carnival of Coal. That's not exactly the greatest measuring stick either, but you can't really say a band is great without it being your opinion. Other than Led Zeppelin, of course. <_<

The irony.

You are telling other people that arguments are subjective, YET you claim that there isn't a single great emo band. Pot-kettle-black. And if you are going by the majority of the music population, than wouldn't My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy be considered good, because lots and lots of people like them, just like lots and lots of people like Metallica.

And for the people who are questioning the bands I listed.

1) You asked for great emo bands. Not great AND popular emo bands. Just because you don't know the bands doesn't mean they aren't good.

2) Pinkerton by Weezer is an emo album. As I stated before, the artists I listed have albums or bodies of work that are considered emo. Are Weezer emo? No. But at one point in their career they were.

3) Just because Alexisonfire sound different than the "mainstream shit that Flowers is talking about" doesn't mean it isn't emo. Do the Clash and the Sex Pistols sound alike? No, but they are both punk. Just like how Alexisonfire are emo and so are Fall Out Boy.

Edited by Livid