Beckham Stands Down As Captain

Visionary

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While i believe Terry is the right type of player to be captain it seems to me he is a little inexperienced for the job. Perhaps Ferdinand should be considered before him in my eyes.

Also isn't it going to be a little weird for Beckham to go from giving the orders to taking them. In a way it's a kind of demotion and in some ways is a insult that he would refuse to be captain anymore. Perhaps there's some sort of politics behind this?

It's not going to matter too much on the field, Terry, Neville, Gerrard and Beckham are all leaders on the field.

Beckham having the armband on meant that he was the guy who led the team out, called the coin toss, gave most of the interviews. It didn't much change the way he played, and not having the armband wont change his game.

What will change is off the field. Beckham was a figurehead as England captain. He was focus for the media, it was all very neat, tidy and glamourous for the FA to have 'David Beckham: England Captian' at their disposal.

I'm glad he chose to step down. Like I said the captaincy doesn't matter too much on the field when there are so many influential players in the side, but at times it seemed like the focus was more on Beckham than on the team, having Gerrard or Terry as captain will hopefully take some of that pressure of him, and the team and they can focus on getting back to form.

Fuck Gerrard....John Terry.

As for Beckham standing down, I know people like to slag him off, but I think on the whole he did a good job for us as captain back in the day and deserves to be remembered by that, rather than just for the debacle that this World Cup campaign turned into.

As for Beckham standing down, I know people like to slag him off, but I think on the whole he did a good job for us as captain back in the day and deserves to be remembered by that, rather than just for the debacle that this World Cup campaign turned into.

Agreed, I think Beckham's done us well.

John Terry is shite in an England shirt.

'Nuff said.

Shut up, Terry is good for England, maybe not as influential as he is for Chelsea but he's still a strong part of the national team and I wouldn't be against him taking the armband.

If you want to go for who can lead the team out there on the pitch by barking out orders, give it to Paul Robinson. He's so loud he can instruct the forwards from his goal line :P

I just find the "Terry is shite for England" response can only be based on his poor performances at the World Cup (even though he was pretty good against Portugal, IMO), yet The Arsenal says Gerrard, who was possibly even worse at the World Cup (aside from the two goals...but hey, Beckham helped us to score three goals by assists/scoring himself and people still slag him off...). Outside of the World Cup, they've both played good for England, but I'd definitely go for Terry.

Gotta agree with Liam here. Gerrard, whilst an excellent club captain, hasen't so much as come close to showing the same kind of form for his country and has done nothing to warrent the captaincy.

Terry, on the otherhand is passionate and dedicated for England as much as he is for Chelsea. If there's anyone among the ranks thats deserved it, its him.

I still think Ferdinand should be considered before Terry. He more experienced in the shirt and has in general been a very solid defender for England. He also shows the passion and shouting that a captain needs. Don't let his more casual play fool you.

Ferdinand is too much of a liability in my opinion. Terry is the better player, though that doesn't mean he necessarily should get it just for that, but Terry also strikes me as the sort who'd get more of a response out of the players than Ferdinand.

Ferdinand as captain could be good though.."C'mon Rooney, merk that Portugese players" :shifty:

I'm don't think Ferdinand would have any trouble getting a performance for his players if he was captain and i seen Terry give his own fair share of below performances too particularly at this World Cup. And i think Ferdinand has cut of most of the mistake he use to make from when he was younger.