NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

I think Millen knows football, being an ex-linebacker and all, but he doesn't know how to build a team. I can think of maybe one or two good draft picks he's made. Shaun Rogers being the obvious pick, and maybe Roy Williams and Kevin Jones can help vindicate his awful track record. As it stands, Sims and Bullocks are looking like they'll make an immediate impact.

As for Garcia and Harrington, I'll take Harrington. Garcia has a wet noodle for an arm, and is clearly past his prime. There were games that we lost last year that led me to believe that we could have had Harrington been in the game as opposed to Garcia. I'm also not defending Harrington because he did nothing to endear himself to the city of Detroit either.

I'm highly skeptical about this season, at the very least, I just hope that we are a fun team to watch. I think Kevin Jones will do well, and I think Roy Williams should also have a breakout season. The defense is a huge question mark, but the d-line looks like it could be better than ever if we have all four starters together (Hall, Redding, Rogers, and Cody).

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harrington sucked because he wasn't built for the West Coast Offense. He was a deepball type of guy, who would actually fit in well with Martz, especially since their offense was completely drafted for such a field stretching offense, not the West Coast. It's a shame for Harringto, because he does have talent IMO, he was just in the wrong system.

Who knows, maybe he'll get another chance down the line.

I thought Harrington had a great attitude honestly. He was always positive, always ready for adversity, and always ready to bust his ass for the team. The problem with him is that he never could get the job done for the team. I don't buy that he was in the wrong system, he had plenty of time to learn the system and never proved that he could play at a decent level consistently. There were way too many excuses surrounding him, it was for the best that we parted ways with him. He's going to amount to being a good back up QB and probably nothing more.

Batch and Mitchell had better years than Harrington. Hell, Scott Mitchell holds most of the Detroit Lions passing records as of right now. He was the QB when Herman Moore broke the record for most receptions in a year, and most receptions by a WR tandem (the same year Moore had his individual record. Moore had 123 receptions while Brett Perriman had 102).

Mitchell sucked, but he's another sad piece of history for the Lions. He's one of the best QB's we've had since the 1970s, which is sad.

Speaking of the Lions, here are some notable roster cuts from around the league.

Detroit

=====

WR Charles Rogers

Houston

=====

DE Earl Cochran

LB Sam Cowart

FB Nick Luchey

RB Antowain Smith

New England

========

LB Monty Biesel

Player Aqustions

========

Probowl RB Stephan Davis to St. Louis

Acquired QB Brooks Bollinger from the New York Jets for DT C.J. Mosley and an undisclosed draft pick. (Vikings)

So lets start guessing where Charles Rogers will end up.

I think he can still be a good player, but he needs a good QB and needs to stop playing so conservative to keep from getting hurt.

Rogers isn't going to endear himself to a coach that wants 110% in each and every practice. Rogers has had plenty of chances to prove he was the guy for the Lions and never did. I think last years drug suspension pretty much sealed his fate. I think somebody will take a chance on him but will have to keep in mind that Rogers is one dirty drug test from a year suspension.

I also think Rogers still has what it takes to be a great WR. He's got great hands, blazing speed, and moves well on the field. He needs to get his head adjusted and sign with a team that is the right situation for him. The city of Detroit adores the guy still being that he's a hometown boy.

My guess is he goes to either Chicago or Minnesota so that he has a chance to stick it to the Detroit Lions. Both teams are looking for WR help, and could take a chance on him.

A lot of people outside of Detroit may not know this but Mike Williams was also on the bubble for poor practice habits. If salary wasn't an issue he'd have probably joined Rogers on the unemployment line. Yay for Matt Millen draft picks. :thumbsdown:

Rogers isn't going to endear himself to a coach that wants 110% in each and every practice. Rogers has had plenty of chances to prove he was the guy for the Lions and never did. I think last years drug suspension pretty much sealed his fate. I think somebody will take a chance on him but will have to keep in mind that Rogers is one dirty drug test from a year suspension.

I also think Rogers still has what it takes to be a great WR. He's got great hands, blazing speed, and moves well on the field. He needs to get his head adjusted and sign with a team that is the right situation for him. The city of Detroit adores the guy still being that he's a hometown boy.

My guess is he goes to either Chicago or Minnesota so that he has a chance to stick it to the Detroit Lions. Both teams are looking for WR help, and could take a chance on him.

A lot of people outside of Detroit may not know this but Mike Williams was also on the bubble for poor practice habits. If salary wasn't an issue he'd have probably joined Rogers on the unemployment line. Yay for Matt Millen draft picks. :thumbsdown:

Edited by jase12881

The year we drafted Roy Williams and Kevin Jones was absolutely brilliant on Millen's part. I wont give him much credit, but that was a coup to dupe Cleveland into giving us a second rounder so that they could switch spots to get Winslow. Then we parlayed that second rounder into a first rounder and got KJ.

I think Roy Williams could absolutely be a pro browler, as he's a big target and immensely talented. His problem is health and he dropped way too many easy passes last year.

I remember espn.com reporting a lot about Rogers and Mike Williams but it didn't seem to garner much attention. I do remember the boys on PTI discussing it but beyond that there wasn't much to report.

As for the Lions WR corp, I'm not as bummed as I should be. We all know what Roy Williams can do so I wont talk about him. Cory Bradford is a good veteran, he'll make plays and help this team with a veteran presence. After that things might look bleak, but I must say Eddie Drummond impressed me against Buffalo. The guy's an obvious talent with a knack for breaking big plays open (he's one of the best return men in the league) and he could turn out to be a hell of a WR. There's also Mike Williams who could see the light, but he's a hard one to guage. I don't know if the coaching staff will give him much playing time this season. Kevin Furrey I'm not thrilled with, but he looks to have decent hands so hopefully he'll just catch the ball. Shaun Bodiford is only on the roster until Scottie Vines returns or so it seems. I like Vines, he was consistent last year and made some big catches to move the chains.

You know its funny saying you don't care how many yards he puts up and yet you drafted him #1 overall in a fantasy leauge.

Wow Wali Lundy performed adequately in a few preseason games! Thats it guys we've got our boy, the sky's the limit for this one.

Texans need Reggie Bush now, they needed him then too. Williams will be just like most other D lineman drafted in the top 5 and end up a bust.

They had the chance to get a game changing player, who'd legitimize the run, which would keep teams from relentlessly rushing Carr every play and the whole Texans offense might have finally reached its potential.

Instead they decided to keep the injury prone back they already had and take a huge gamble on a defensive end. Injury prone back gets hurt again and it looks like another 60 sack season is on the horizon for David Carr.

Texans need Reggie Bush now, they needed him then too. Williams will be just like most other D lineman drafted in the top 5 and end up a bust.

Bruce Smith, Neil Smith, Willie McGinest, Simeon Rice, Peter Boulware, Lee Roy Selmon and Julius Peppers all say hi.

Edited by Maxx

More Surprising cuts.

Ron Dayne by Denver

Naji Davenport by Green Bay

Rod Gardner by Green Bay

Jerome Pathon by Atlanta

Lee Suggs by Cleveland

Marcus Vick by Miami

Willie Ponder by the Giants (I thought Ponder was pretty good on STs last year)

Jabar Gaffney by Philidelphia

Peter Warrick by Seattle

Moe Williams by St. Louis

Edell Sheperad by Tampa Bay

Tyrone Calico by Tennessee

RB Jarrett Payton by Tennessee

Suggs cut by Cleveland really isnt much of a surprise to me, we already got a nice starter in Droughuns and we just drafted a good change of pace back in Jerome Harrison and then we even got a guy that could step in and do pretty well in a former starter William Green who could be doing better if it werent for the off the field problems he has had. Along with that Suggs has been injury prone during his time with us so I really wasnt a huge shock to see him let go and I have to say altough some of the cuts are kinda surprising there was really nothing spectacular that I didnt see coming.

Bruce Smith, Neil Smith, Willie McGinest, Simeon Rice, Peter Boulware, Lee Roy Selmon and Julius Peppers all say hi.

Fucking Steelers cut Quincy Morgan who was their best performing WR in the preseason.

Say what you want about Quincy, but he played fantastic for the Steelers.

Fuck Nate Washington and fuck Sean Morey even more. They don't belong on the team.

Dammit.

The Texans don't need a new QB, they just need to give David Carr time to throw. Carr should be at Palmer's level right now but he's stuck behind one of the worst O-Lines in history and has been stunted because of it.

They're committed to him though, otherwise they would have drafted Young.

If they were smart and really wanted a defensive end, they should have dealt Davis to the Jets for John Abraham and gotten an instant solution ot their D-line problems, then drafted Bush.

In a nutshell, the drafting of Mario Williams over Reggie Bush may not necessarily lead to Williams attaining "bust" status but he will always be compared to Bush no matter what he does. It's an unfair comparison playing two different positions (unlike the Manning/Leaf debate of 98) but Reggie Bush is a game changing back while Mario Williams is just a speed rusher who ruined a bunch of ACC jabronis while struggling against some of the better offensive lines in the conference. I believe in drafting for need over "best player available" but not with the #1 pick. You pick the best player. Picking for need early usually burns you but only time will tell.