Favorite new millenium films?

ROC

I'll give my brief five here, in no real order:

The Rules of Attraction (2002) - As I mentioned in the other thread, I love how it's a depraved satire in the vein of American Psycho. It's also one of my faves because it was one of the first true indie films I saw and while I'll admit it has its problems, it is so fond to me that I would love it anyway.

Requiem for a Dream (2000) - It is a beautiful film, yet easily one of the most anti-Hollywood ending movies you will ever see. It is also one of the most disturbing. It's a movie I'm glad I saw, but I really don't think I'd stand it again.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - This one is pretty obvious. Jim Carrey continues to impress me with what he can do well and Kate Winslet is sexy, odd and gives a brilliant performance.

Big Fish (2003) - Easily the best feel-good tragic comedy I have ever seen. It's hard not to be touched after watching it and Burton definitely got deserved acclaim here. It's just continually fantastic with amazing performances.

Serenity (2005) - The best popcorn action film released in a long time, Serenity is the type of film that is fun, witty when it needs to be, and by the end even sad. Whedon created his Star Wars here, it's just disappointing that no one else (barring the Whedon fans) bought into it.

City of God (2002) - One of my favorite movies ever. Everything about it just felt perfect to me. I saw it at the right time in my life and I was able to relate to many of the characters despite them growing up in a setting virtually the opposite of mine. I could go on for days.

Suicide Club (2002) - Just one of those eerie social commentaries that had an actual entertaining plot to go with it. Not perfect, but I greatly enjoyed it.

Sin City (2005) - Some of the most fun I've had watching a movie in my life.

Kill Bill (2003-2004) - Grouping both together. The same goes for these as with Sin City. But more importantly, this movie is what really set into motion my film addiction.

Good Bye Lenin! (2003) - I can't really describe what it was I liked about this, just that I did. It felt right.

Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) - The whole trilogy. My faovirte books on the big screen, and they were very well-done films to boot. Peter Jackson is just a brilliant, brilliant director.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) - I couldn't ask George Lucas for anything else. The perfect ending to one of the few franchises that I actually have an emotional attachment to (because of nostaliga and crap).

There are so many more, for any decade really. You could make a topic for many, many decades and I'll have a list this long.

I was gonna do a topic like this, only write a lot about each one. It would've been something title Overlooked Movies Of The Millenium. If you haven't seen any of these films, do so as soon as possible.

Cast Away (2000)

Almost Famous (2000)

The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

High Fidelity (2000)

Unbreakable (2000)

Wonder Boys (2000)

Meet The Parents (2000)

Made (2001)

Memento (2001)

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

Road To Perdition (2002)

25th Hour (2002)

The Good Girl (2002)

About A Boy (2002)

Adaptation (2002)

Frailty (2002)

21 Grams (2003)

Lost In Translation (2003)

Big Fish (2003)

Matchstick Men (2003)

American Splendor (2003)

Narc (2003)

Open Range (2003)

All The Real Girls (2003)

Maria Full Of Grace (2004)

Closer (2004)

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)

The Incredibles (2004)

Sideways (2004)

Criminal (2004)

Collateral (2004)

I Heart Huckabees (2004)

Munich (2005)

Capote (2005)

Jarhead (2005)

Broken Flowers (2005)

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (2005)

Hustle & Flow (2005)

The New World (2005)

Edited by Numbahs

Eternal Sunshine Of the Spotless Mind - Jim Carrey was awesome, but it was really Michel Gondry's amazing depiction of the dream world that made it a classic.

Lost In Translation - Combination of Sofia Coppola's beautiful depiction of Japan and the performances of Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray.

Amelie - Surreal performances + Audrey Tautou.

Million Dollar Baby - I didn't even like Hilary Swank until I saw this. Now she's one of my favorite actresses.

Serenity - I think this critic's reaction sums it up:

"The cleverest, crankiest, wittiest, wildest, and most character-driven sci-fi adventure in 25 years; it's the best outer-space trip I've been on since the empire struck back."

-- Scott Weinberg, EFILMCRITIC.COM

Donnie Darko - Cuz.

Before Sunset - Because it was a sequel after nine years that not only maintained the originals charm, it blew it away.

A number of 21st century films are in my top 20 films - these include:

2. Zatoichi (2003) - It's a Kitano film (+1), about samurai (+1), is actually Japanese (+1), has incredible action (+1), great sets (+1), humour (+1), a decent plot (+1), a blind masseur swordfighter (+1), cool cinematography (+1) and a big dance finale (+1).

4. Amelie (2001) - It's a Jeunet film (+1), is beautifully shot (+1), is whimsical but not annoying (+1), is a romance that isn't cheesy (+1), uses cool effects and ideas (+1), great soundtrack (+1), has a globetrotting garden gnome (+1).

5. Battle Royale (2000) - It's got Kitano (+1), it's based on a fantastic book (+1), it's dystopian (+1), it's got the best premise of a movie, ever (+1), doesn't go over the top in gore (+1), is deliciously black comedy (+1), is'nt cheesy or formulaic (+1), makes you care about characters (+1), it's generally magnificent (+1).

6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - It's Jim Carrey! (+1), it's a carefully crafted beauty (+1), has a clever premise (+1), it builds to a tear-jerking finale (+1), it's smart and doesn't insult your intelligence (+1).

10. Oldboy (2003) - It's a Park film (+1), it's slick and smart (+1), it's cooler than Tarantino (+1), two words - CLAW HAMMER (+1), has an intricate plot (+1), resolves only what it needs to (+1), doesn't forcefeed you plot updates (+1), shot brilliantly (+1), great soundtrack (+1), near-perfect acting (+1).

11. Ong-Bak (2003) - Jony Jaa (+1), incredible moves and action scenes (+1), no wire work (+1), he did all his own stunts! (+1), quick and doesn't get dragged into pointless plot (+1), one kick knock out! (+1), that double knee drop (+1), the flying flaming knee o-doom!¬ (+1), fanboy heaven (+1).

12. Equilibrium (2002) - It's dystopian (+1), Christian Bale, Sean Bean and Sean Pertwee! (+1), gun-kata (+1), tasty action scenes (+1), clever premise (+1), well shot (+1), better than The Matrix (+1).

14. House of Flying Daggers (2004) - Wushu (+1), beautiful story (+1), plot twists galore! (+1), beautifully shot (+1), firing off four arrows (+1), the colours, the snow, the themes (+1), the soundtrack (+1), the overall beauty (+1).

15. Hero (2002) (See House of Flying Daggers), Tony Leung (+1).

16. Memento (2000) - Guy Pearce and Christopher Nolan (+1), genius set-up (+1), very clever story (+1), great voiceover (+1), just enough humour (+1), constant revelations (+1), messes with your head (+1).

19. LOTR: ROTK (2003) Meh, I'm not going into all the plus points for this beautiful movie.

20. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - Spaced humour (+1), totally British (+1), in-jokes galore (+1), the clever approach to ideas used (+1), more humour (+1), completely fun (+1), ripping apart cliches while still falling into ALL of them (+1), well-thought out cameos and minor parts (+1), fantastic soundtrack (+1), Battle Royale poster on the wall (+1).

(Out of interest, my other movies in the top 20, from highest to lowest are: Seven Samurai, Fight Club, Ran, Alien, Apocalypse Now, Croupier, The Sting, Trainspotting)

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

Serenity - Because I'm a fan boy.

Road To Perdition - I really like gangster movies. I really like Sam Mendes. This proved the perfect match.

Almost Famous - Everything about the movie is awesome, from the music, to the acting, to the cinematography, and the coming-of-age is awesome.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Its a tad pretentious, but apart from that, it depicts an awesome dream world that's pretty much unseen in the movie world nowadays.

I Heart Huckabees - It's surrealist, often hilarious and you can watch it a few times. I guess it really grew on me.

The Royal Tenenbaums - The mixture of old school cinematography, humour, music and storytelling make this a worthy follow up to Rushmore.

Donnie Darko - As if I need to explain this >_>

In The Mood For Love - Its easily one of the most aesthetically pleasing movies I have ever seen. The story isn't that great, but there's few movies that have cinematography that's this good.

5. Battle Royale (2000) - It's got Kitano (+1), it's based on a fantastic book (+1), it's dystopian (+1), it's got the best premise of a movie, ever (+1), doesn't go over the top in gore (+1), is deliciously black comedy (+1), is'nt cheesy or formulaic (+1), makes you care about characters (+1), it's generally magnificent (+1).

10. Oldboy (2003) - It's a Park film (+1), it's slick and smart (+1), it's cooler than Tarantino (+1), two words - CLAW HAMMER (+1), has an intricate plot (+1), resolves only what it needs to (+1), doesn't forcefeed you plot updates (+1), shot brilliantly (+1), great soundtrack (+1), near-perfect acting (+1).

I KNEW I was forgetting some movies on my list. I completely agree about both, but I'd put Oldboy in front of Battle Royale in terms of favorites. But that could have to do with me being on painkillers from surgery when I watched it.