The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Oooh. Cool bit with Chameleon. Ms. Marvel and Spidey, though, is rather absurd to me. I'd give it a chance, though, I suppose.

Regarding the Spidey / Ms Marvel thing... another "hint" is that, well, she was in separated into several energy forms after a confrontation with Moonstone, and two of those energy forms went to ask for help to two heroes: Wolverine and Spidey. Now, Wolverine I can understand, they're friends from way back, but why Spidey? I guess it's another hint. Or maybe I'm just over analyzing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I borderline hate him and wish he'd fuck off Deadpool. But I haven't read anything else of his, so there might be something good out there.

Out of current Deadpool, Suicide Kings, average with good moments as it was, is the best. The regular Deadpool comic has been good in places (Deadpool vs. Bullseye, and even then....) but generally is weak. There has been two issues of Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth, which I'll give another issue or two before I make my mind up.

Not sure if you've read any before, but for Deadpool just go and read Cable and Deadpool. The first volume is fine, but after that, FUCK it's hilarious and not totally and utterly dumb like the current Daniel Way comic is.

Bold prediction: by the time his run is over, Jonathan Hickman will be one of the five best Fantastic Four writers of all time.

Presuming, of course, that the Fantastic Four aren't replaced by Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy.

Spiideeyy spoilers.

So, Chameleon takes over Peter's life, acts like a total dick, and SHOOTS HARRY FUCKING OSBORN. The whole issue (603) was complete fucking filler for the shooting, though. Ugh. I... I get that the whole point is "MAN, HOW MUCH WORSE CAN PETER'S LIFE GET?" and Spidey's been like this for a long-assed time. Fuck, that's his character, but the issue itself was just so damned unreadable. Urgh.

Oh, and how about that Disney buying Marvel, hmm?

Just picked up Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman's "Whatever Happened To...." on Superman and Batman, respectively. Should get those read tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it - they're pretty much dream writers for the two stories, in theory.

I really wish The Irredeemable Ant-Man had gone longer than 12 issues. I was really enjoying it before he got taken away from his own book to join the whole Dark Reign thing.

His book was cancelled due to low sales. Very very very low sales.

I really wish The Irredeemable Ant-Man had gone longer than 12 issues. I was really enjoying it before he got taken away from his own book to join the whole Dark Reign thing.

His book was cancelled due to low sales. Very very very low sales.

Which is lame. It's a quality book. There isn't a lot of stuff I can read just all the way through, but Ant-Man was one of those books. It's too bad that it didn't sell well. It should have.

Granted, he's with the Thunderbolts now, and that's a good book. I was hesitant to keep going, with the whole Osborne thing, but it's still very good.

Note that I'm not "up to date". I don't get the new books as they come out. I grab a bunch from one series every once in awhile, and then read that.

The more he appears in bigger selling books, like ThunderBolts and that Avengers book he was in for awhile, the higher his profile becomes and the better chance that he will get another nod at a solo book someday. Not by Kirkman I am sure, but somebody.

I also loved The Irredeemable Antman, but the decision to make him a supporting character in other books was definitely the right choice. Plus it yielded us the great panel where he and Taskmaster sit out of a fight at Camp Hammond to watch videos on his Ipod.

A girl I work with recently loaned me her copy of Box Office Poison and I've really been enjoying it. I usually don't go for this type of comic, but it is exceptionally well written and loaded with some great tips of the hat to other comics, movies, and pop culture et cetera that makes it an awful lot of fun.

Edited by GRIFT

Alan Moore has to be about the only writer who can get me even remotely interested in Superman. "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?", and the other stories included in the deluxe edition, are some of the best Supe stories I've ever read - mostly I just can't stand the character, and none of his enemies even begin to interest me, so being able to hold my attention at all is an achievement in a superhero story.

"Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" I'm not sure about yet, though. It's Neil Gaiman, so obviously it's good in a delightfully abstract and somewhat metaphysical sense, and not being an avid DC reader but a fan of Batman in theory, I'm always most drawn to stories like this that attempt to tie up backstory, especially any that make any attempt to tie up the darker side of Batman with the lighter camper stuff, which is done to an extent here, and reminds me of the recent (well, to me, anyway) Batman Legends "What The Butler Saw?" in which it's implied that Batman only tolerated the more ridiculous villains and camper aspects of crimefighting (Bat-gadgets etc.) because it kept Dick Grayson amused.

Anyway, the only problem is that I feel it's just too short. The concept of the facts of Batman's death being irrelevant next to what the man ultimately stood for is great, but it could've done with a few more conflicting accounts of how he met his end - I'd have much rather seen more of The Joker's account of things than the couple of frames we got of it; after all, a story of Batman's end as told by The Joker? That's practically worth a mini-series in its own right, yet it's reduced to one of the least interesting bits of the story. Catwoman's account wasn't much better.

Really, the strong point of the whole thing, and another that could have been a mini-series all of its own, is Alfred's tale, which I genuinely loved;

The idea that, as in the backstory as accepted, Bruce Wayne created the "Batman" persona resulting from his parents death, but soon realised that fighting crime wouldn't bring them back and just fell into despair and loneliness, and gradually gave up crime-fighting is hardly new or innovative, but I love the concept of Alfred basically creating this rogue's gallery of increasingly absurd villains to keep Bruce Wayne occupied - and the suggestion that Bruce Wayne was still, at heart, a sheltered rich brat, not the dark spirit of the streets that Batman claimed to be (an aspect of the character I tend to find is ignored too often) meant that Alfred was able to keep up that level of trickery due to Wayne's detachment from everyday life - that's all interesting in itself, but the panels of Alfred's reflection as he applies the Joker's make-up results in one of the most chilling scenes I can remember in a Batman comic, and possibly my favourite alternate Joker origin story. I, for one, would love to read a series in which this was the actual reality of Batman.

Actually, the icing on the cake of Alfred's alternate reality is the line "They took Eddie Nash to the madhouse, the real one, not "Arkham"".

Kay, so I'm poor and in need of funds for NHL 10 when it hits stores on the 15th, and I'm selling some stuff.

Here's a list of what I have... price is negotiable, but you will pay for cost of shipping.

All TPB

Ultimate X-Men vol. 1-16

The Ultimates vol. 1-2

The Ultimates 2 vol. 1-2

Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 1-12

Wolverine: Enemy of the State vol. 1-2

Wolverine: House of M

Sabretooth: Open Season

Thunderbolts Presents: Zemo- Born Better

X-Factor: Visionaries vol. 1

Uncanny X-Men vol. 5 - The First Foursaken

X-Men: Golgotha

X-Force and Cable vol. 1

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga

Earth X

Excalibur vol. 2 - Saturday Night Fever

New X-Men: Academy X vol. 3

New X-Men: Academy X- House of M

New Warriors: Reality Check

District X vol. 1

Astonishing X-Men vol. 2 - Dangerous

Wolverine's Enemy of the State volume 2 is in Hardcover, but that's the only note to make. They're all in fairly good condition. At least 7 or 8 out of 10. Just shelving and dust collecting in terms of potential damage to them.