EWB's Top 20 Funniest Movies

Tarheels.

Guest Grapehead

This is being thrown together, so it might not be in proper order, but this is how I'm voting anyways...

1. Run Ronnie Run

2. National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation

3. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

4. Happy Gilmore

5. Clerks

6. Anchorman

7. Zoolander

8. Wedding Singer

9. Office Space

10. My Cousin Vinny

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list is devised upon numerous factors. For a film to be funny, I have to find it funny time and time again. Not just upon the first viewing and then the novelty will wear off. I’ve also thought about which I would most prefer to watch right now, if I had to choose.

1. Bruce Almighty

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

3. School of Rock

4. Happy Gilmore

5. BASEketball

6. Ace Ventura

7. Hot Shots: Part Deux

8. Mrs Doubtfire

9. Dodgeball

10. Wayne’s World

If you think Bruce Almighty is a weird choice, well… Jim Carrey, need I say more? I do? Okay, well, Steve Carrell is also absolutely brilliant in this movie. Way better than Anchorman and 40 Year Old Virgin. I know far more of this movie off by heart than should be reasonably expected. It’s spurred a lot of phrases that friends and I use a lot. (“s’good, s’goooood” and “I need a spoo-eugh” being two of them.) I could watch it over and over again. Oh, and the extras on the DVD where Carrey is improvising are even funnier in places than the film.

1. Wayne's World

2. This Is Spinal Tap

3. Airplane!

4. Monty Python & The Holy Grail

5. The Naked Gun

6. Animal House

7. Shaun Of The Dead

8. Team America

9. The Full Monty

10. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I've blatantly forgotten a lot.

Was really hard to put them in order. I'd say the top 6 would be safe on the top 10 list unless I suddenly remember some amazing films. The orders would fluctuate quite a lot, i've basically just thrown them in a random order. (Besides the top 6...Animal House may be higher though).

The 40 Year Old Virgin is really, really, fucking shite...it's one of the worst films I've seen at the cinema, and I went to see Cheeper By The Dozen 2 (Damn there being nothing else on :(...how was the preggers one fitter than the token totty? That didn't work) I remember laughing once and that was at a comment made by a friend. It was awful.

Edited by BillyGunnPinchedMyBum

1) Smokey and The Bandit

2) The Blues Brothers

3) Spaceballs

4) Groundhog Day

5) Monty Python and The Holy Grail

6) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

7) Animal House

8) Office Space

9) Saved!

10) Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

Edited by Raistlin

1) Kingpin

2) Dumb and Dumber

3) This is Spinal Tap

4) The Big Lebowski

5) The Blues Brothers

6) Animal House

7) Rushmore

8) Groundhog Day (IMO, one of the most underrated films of the last 20 years)

9) The Naked Gun

10) Zoolander

Obviously there are other movies that may shift on and off the list, but these were the first 10 that came to me.

Let me step on the opposite end of the soapbox for Shaun of the Dead and ask, really? Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining and certainly a movie I don't mind watching again and again, but I'm the type of person who doesn't mind watching The Core and Grind repeatedly as well. But out of the ten funniest movies ever? I don't see it. I guess, though, I'm the only one who wasn't a fan of when the film got dramatic in the third act...

EDIT: I suppose the same statement applies to 40 Year Old Virgin as well.

Edited by ROC

Let me step on the opposite end of the soapbox for Shaun of the Dead and ask, really? Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining and certainly a movie I don't mind watching again and again, but I'm the type of person who doesn't mind watching The Core and Grind repeatedly as well. But out of the ten funniest movies ever? I don't see it. I guess, though, I'm the only one who wasn't a fan of when the film got dramatic in the third act...

EDIT: I suppose the same statement applies to 40 Year Old Virgin as well.

I'm not a huge fan of Shaun of The Dead, but I must admit my pleasure in watching it seemed directly related to how much Spaced I watched, as after I caught the first series, I found SOTD better. That may be similar to some others, as stylistically it is quite similar at times, and the humour is the same.

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

1. Clerks

2. The Princess Bride

3. Billy Madison

4. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

5. Heathers

6. Billy Madison

7. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

8. Duck Soup

9. Eurotrip

10. This is Spinal Tap

People who critique other people's lists are gay little fags :shifty:

Unless it's the 40 Year Old Virgin, which is wank, without a climax. Hard work and leaves you with nothing at the end besides sense of frustration.

Edited by BillyGunnPinchedMyBum

See, this depends on whether we're talking about actual comedy films or just films that are really funny. I'm going with the "really funny" films.

1. Liar Liar

2. Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl

3. Mrs. Doubtfire

4. Serenity

5. Ghostbusters

6. Mousehunt

7. Sister Act

8. Naked Gun

9. Ace Ventura

10. Bruce Almighty

And I still don't see what's funny about any of the Monty Python films.

Guest Bosstown Boy

I'm so proud of EWB having Liar Liar amongst many of your top ten.

Fletcher: You LIAR! You know what I am going to do about this?

Motorpool Guy: What?

Fletcher: Nothing! Because if I take it to small claims court, it will just drain 8 hours out of my life and you probably won't show up and even if I got the judgment you'd just stiff me anyway; so what I am going to do is piss and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!

Motorpool Guy: You've been here before haven't ya?

:lmao:

I just cannot wrap my mind around this hatred, or at least displeasure with The 40 Year Old Virgin. This is seriously the first time I have seen anyone say bad things about it - everyone I know enjoyed it.

Maybe its a geographical thing? I don't know.