Movies On Musicians

Benji

Dylan didn't change music all that much, really. Bowie changed so much about the presentational aspect of music, as did Pop to a lesser extent. Watch any live music pre-Bowie, then watch live music post-Bowie. He was the first real rock star frontman.

Seriously, Dylan's good and all, but it's people like you who talk about him as the be-all and end-all that make me dislike him. He was a good, sometimes great, lyricist, a poor guitarist, and an average singer. Yeah, him as a folk singer picking up an electric guitar had a big impact on music, but nothing close to what Bowie or the Stooges did, directly or indirectly.

I'm not going to argue about Tupac or Hendrix, because I don't know enough about them.

Edited by Skumfrog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, really. Go stick your namby-pamby Bowie and Iggy, or your Hendrix movie (it'd be like 20 minutes long) and your Tupac one. What would a Tupac movie be? "He sucked, then he got shot?"

Dylan changed music. More so than Bowie, Pop, or the Rat Pack. And he was a much, much more revolutionary figure outside of just music, too. Plus, he was sexier, and led a more interesting life.

Wow, you really are an ignornant fuck.

I don't think you really understand the impact that Iggy Pop had on rock and roll. Iggy and the Stooges broke the mold of the mundane 60s acid and protest rock with their ear splitting riffs and shrill piercing vocals. Up until Iggy Pop, there were no vocalists who destroyed themselves on stage, everything before him was fairly tame. Iggy ushered in a new wave of heavy rock which helped to create glam rock, proto punk, 77 style, and hardcore punk. Iggy and the Stooges music was definitely in a league of it's own at the time it was released. Nobody other than the MC5 was playing this pissed off rock and roll. His songs helped usher in the nihilistic approach that so many of the later punk and glam rockers would incorporate into their music. Instead of saying "Hey brother, let's settle our differences and make peace" it was "Fuck you, I'll destroy you".

People like Stiv Bators, Darby Crash, Sid Vicious, and G.G. Allin are all obvious influences of Iggy's stage antics. All of these guys were emulating Iggy directly, although one of them obviously took it a bit more to the extreme (I'll let you figure that one out).

I think there's much more to Iggy than being just a debauched rock god, that's only half of his charm.

As for whether Bob Dylan changed music... there's really not much of an argument there. Dylan directly inspired The Beatles to move away from albums like Help!, and Please Please Me, and into the progressive realm of stuff like Revolver, Rubber Soul, and the White Album. He also inspired a generation of folk music in the 1960s, pretty much every singer-songwriter worth his salt and a few who weren't, and the "going electric" period was pretty much the blueprint for all rock'n'roll after that point. He was the first musician to break away from being packaged, and reinvent himself when he felt like he wanted to do something new, which was most definitely a blueprint for David Bowie doing exactly the same, and Bowie generally acknowledges this.

I think that honor belongs to Link Wray. Just ask Pete Townshend.

Just to be pedantic, John's Children had a similar vibe to The Stooges (while not nearly as sleazy and extreme) in the early to mid-60s, with members of the band writhing around, trashing the stage, and even letting off tear gas on stage at times. While, admittedly, Iggy reached far more people, and took it to the next level, he wasn't the first.

As I said, just being pedantic, it's not really relevant >_<

Christ, Mr. Technicality here. :P

Actually, I'd like to check some of that out one of these days. I've found that a good portion of the punk I ennoy can trace some of it's roots even before Iggy. Of course, none of these groups quite did it in the same fashion as Iggy. Hell, you can even make an arguement for Jim Morrison pre-dating Iggy with the wild stage antics (albeit not quite as violent or nihlistic).

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie based on the Ramones. The PBS documentary that aired a little over a year ago was excellent and the story would translate onto the big screen. If the movie was put in the right hands and had a Sid and Nancy feel, it would be hard to screw up.

Guest Preston

isnt there one about marvin gaye being made now, or about to be made or something? if not then i hope so, because he was a big face.

Edited by Preston

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie based on the Ramones. The PBS documentary that aired a little over a year ago was excellent and the story would translate onto the big screen. If the movie was put in the right hands and had a Sid and Nancy feel, it would be hard to screw up.

That's true, actually, I always thought Joey Ramone would work perfectly as a tragic romantic character.

Yeah, a Ramones movie could be pretty good. The changing of drummers, working with the eccentric Phil Spector, the rift between Joey and Johnny (due in part to political beliefs), and Dee Dee Ramone's lifestyle causing internal conflict. I've read their biography and there is a ton of great stuff that could be incorporated to the cinema.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a movie based solely on Dee Dee.

Is it just me or does the guy that play Klitz in the "Girl Next Door" look exactly like John Lennon, especially in his last scene when he has the longer hair. Anyways, just throwing that out there.

I wouldn't mind seeing a John Lennon or a Beatles movie. Boy George or Elton John would be good too I think.

They already made a Jerry Lee Lewis movie, it had Dennis Quaid, Winona Ryder, and Alec Baldwin in it.

Edit: Wrong Quaid

Edited by Ando Solo

It seems predictable, and there might have been one before but I think a Freddie Mercury one would be great. I'd also enjoy an Eric Clapton one considering his personal life and how it went (his son dying, being raised thinking his mother was really his sister). He was huge and is a phenomenal artist, I'd love a Clapton one.

Clapton might be interesting, yeah.

The problem with a lot of these people is that in order for it to really sell, you'd have to do it on one of the 'huge' rock gods that everybody knows off the top of their head. Bowie, Dylan, Cash, Iggy Pop, etc etc.

Clapton, Cornell, etc are all awesome and had wicked lives, but I dunno if they're name enough for the average know-nothing movie goer to say, for example, "THE Eric Clapton? The man behind the third best supergroup of the 1960s? I'M THERE!"