The Office: UK vs. US

Ananas

The Office  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which version do you prefer?

• The British Original
    • The American Remake

Ringo and I were just trying to compare the two, and while the UK original's remake seems to have such a strong reputation, we can't seem to find one instance of a British character being better than its American counterpart (aside from Tim/Jim and Finchie/Todd Packer). Opinions?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chasing Ringy

Gareth vs. Dwight is tricky. Whereas Gareth completely destroys Dwight based on season one of the Office, Dwight's season two is outstanding. Gareth is certainly more subtle, but Dwight is a random geek with an attitude. I just don't think Gareth is better anymore.

Like I told Beaty on MSN, I only really think Tim is better than Jim, because Jim is much more of a cool kid whereas Tim is a nice loser and fits in much better.

The American one's alright, but from what I've seen it's less 'cringe worthy' and more in-your-face than the original. First example that springs to mind is from one of the very first episodes, where Brent decides to play a practical joke on Dawn. When she starts crying in the American one Carell starts shouting "You've got punked!" and it just seems forced, whereas Brent's reaction completely makes that scene.

British version gets my vote, but the American isn't bad either.

I would always say the UK version, as that's how it was written to be. The only reason it was changed for the US version is that it's widely considered that American's don't "get" the UK style of dry humour, and they wouldn't be able to handle the romantic angle not being more central.

At least, that's what Ricky Gervais said.....

I would always say the UK version, as that's how it was written to be. The only reason it was changed for the US version is that it's widely considered that American's don't "get" the UK style of dry humour, and they wouldn't be able to handle the romantic angle not being more central.

At least, that's what Ricky Gervais said.....

Guest muddatrucker

I guess you don't like the results thus far.

I like both series so I don't really care either way, I was just curious. And I guess you didn't see anything beyond the pilot of the American version. :P

I guess you don't like the results thus far.

I like both series so I don't really care either way, I was just curious. And I guess you didn't see anything beyond the pilot of the American version. :P

Guest muddatrucker

You didn't ask me a question, you just seem like you're not completely happy with the results. I've seen a couple on BBC3 and the odd ones that people have downloaded at uni, but I still prefer the british one if thats ok.

Edited by muddatrucker