The Office: UK vs. US

Ananas

The Office  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which version do you prefer?

• The British Original
    • The American Remake

I prefer the British version; but I was surprised that I actually laughed at the US version. It's funny, and I've only seen around two eps of the US one (because I keep missing the damn thing) but I still prefer the Brentmeister General.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muddatrucker

Well gauging from your reaction I got the idea that you saw the results and had put it down to people not seeing both versions, rather than people actually having their own reasons to prefer one over the other. Its almost like you like the American version more but don't want to say it outright.

Well gauging from your reaction I got the idea that you saw the results and had put it down to people not seeing both versions, rather than people actually having their own reasons to prefer one over the other. Its almost like you like the American version more but don't want to say it outright.

Seen all of the British ones, and the first five or six of the American ones from when it started on BBC Three.

The American ones get like exponentially better after that point, actually. Like, from the sexual harrassment training episode on.

Anyway. As far as the cast goes, David Brent and Michael Scott are practically entirely different characters to me at this point who just share a common archetype. They definitely made Michael much more sympathetic, but I think they did it effectively. I like David Brent more, though, if forced to choose.

Jim/Tim is another one where the characters are mostly the same in role more than character. Tim is far superior in the role that it's supposed to be, if that makes any sense, so I prefer him to Jim, but John Krasinski plays the straight man role brilliantly either way.

For Dawn versus Pam? Pam by like ten thousand miles. She just... I don't know, does more with the role, it feels like. She's just sort of funnier and she does the serious stuff better.

Gareth vs. Dwight, oh god. Both brilliant characters, but I think I still enjoy Gareth more. Like, I think Dwight is funnier in a way, but Gareth is the better character. Plus Mackenzie Cook is a better actor than Rainn Wilson, in my opinion.

I honestly think that the American version has the superior supporting cast than the British version, though. Mostly because it has a real supporting cast. Like, Kevin is given more to do in the American version than Keith got to do in the British, and there's nobody in the original as far as minor characters goes who could hope to even touch the brilliance that is Creed. Plus Angela, Stanley, and Toby are all fucking hysterical as well. Chris Finch owns Todd Packer, though.

Guest muddatrucker

Okay, one more time: I do prefer the American version (as I pretty much said outright off the top).

I do think the Dwight/Gareth thing is the hardest contrast there is between both shows since both of them are gold, but I prefer Dwight. I really enjoyed the football scene with Dwight where Michael threw it and Jim intercepted, and they toss it around the room, then when Ryan gets it Dwight comes from nowhere and levels him then screams out fumble and stiff arms somebody to get it back to Michael. I think Jim/Dwight and Dwight/Michael is what makes the American better, mainly due to how Dwight sucks up to Michael so much but despite the fact Michael still acts like he despises him. But Creed is a solid character too, I loved the "The nuts are very nutricious, but they kind of make me smell like death" line.

I'll be honest and admit to only catching a couple of the early episodes of the US version, but I can't say I was impressed. It didn't make me want to watch more. The UK original was brilliant though, but we all knew that already.

I've seen every episode of both versions, and I'd lean slightly toward the American version. I agree with the other people in here - the Dwight vs. Gareth comparison is really, really tough. Both characters are great, but they're clearly taking different directions with the role. Personally, I'd love to see another character on the American version that tries to capture the parts of Gareth's character that got left out in the transition.

And the US version needs to do the trivia night episode. My favorite from the British series.

Well I think it's blatantly obvious which one is going to come out on top in the polls considering the majority on the site, but I have to say the American version anyways. Michael and Dwight are amazing characters, and the whole Jim and Pam thing is good too. No wonder it's going to make it past two seasons.

EDIT: And by the way, I own both seasons on DVD as far as they've been released.

Edited by ApSham

I liked the episode of US Office about racism, but that's the only one I've seen.

I never really got into The Office, though, other than the line "they put my stapler in a jelly again".

So, the moral of the story is, Ricky Gervais Podcast > The Office :shifty:

Assuming the line was delivered the same way as it was in the UK version, it should have cut to a new scene immediately after the initial line. Any further talk about it just cheapened the comic genius.

I always prefered this use of Jim's prankery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DerO6oFAVY

And just as a side note, I had to laugh when I read "British dry wit" being used in this, as the American version uses dry wit through and through with the cut away interview parts of the filming. Then again someone who has seen it would know.

Edited by ApSham

Never actually seen much of the US version, but I'm going to go out an a limb here and say that for the sole reason that it is a US version of an English show, it can't be as good as the original.

That is one of the most absurd things that I have read this morning... well I just got up, but still. How can a concept of an office have any grounds on where the location of it is?

No, he is just stating that generally US remakes of English stuff (scrap that, US remakes in general) aren't as good as the original.

I've seen both, and I much prefer the original UK version just because it was the style of the UK show that made it worth watching, the cringe worthy "car crash" quality of David Brent being the biggest aspect of that. The US Office just kinda sinks into being just another sitcom by toning down on that aspect to some degree and even though the characters are different, Steve Carrell (...that is his name, right?) isn't as good as Ricky Gervais. The other characters I'm personally not as fussed about, but thats me (although Gareth is also pretty awesome).