Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear, sometimes I must watch different matches to Reily, seriously. With the Portsmouth penalty, firstly, how the foul could be dubious when Demerit (I believe) grabbed him around the chest as he went through on goal, makes little sense to me. Even if Kanu went down (as Aidy Boothroyd) said "in phases, he was fouled. Also, from what I (and the MOTD pundits, seemingly) saw was that the initial contact was on the penalty box line, thus being a penalty.

I swear, sometimes I must watch different matches to Reily, seriously. With the Portsmouth penalty, firstly, how the foul could be dubious when Demerit (I believe) grabbed him around the chest as he went through on goal, makes little sense to me. Even if Kanu went down (as Aidy Boothroyd) said "in phases, he was fouled. Also, from what I (and the MOTD pundits, seemingly) saw was that the initial contact was on the penalty box line, thus being a penalty.

He did dive though. And if that sort of thing continues to be a foul, then people will continue to dive. A dive should be a worse foul than an actual foul..... so it should just be a freekick against the dive.

The problem there (which has been pointed out) is that the Demerit challenge WAS a foul, so Kanu had every right to go down. If he hadn't have gone down, sadly the referee wouldn't call the foul probably, so Demerit would have got away with it even though it was a foul. It isn't like there was no contact and Kanu went down, he was grabbed and went down easily. There's a difference, and Demerit paid the price for making a stupid challenge.

Personally, I think he went down because he was brought down, so it isn't even a question of diving.

But Thomas, we're not talking about going down just because someone taps you, but if someone hacks at you, grabs you, fouls you in anyway, sometimes if you don't go down, the ref won't give the penalty/free-kick. They discussed it on match of the day not too long ago, where a player got kicked at in the penalty area, blatant foul, stayed up and the goalie saved his shot. He was fouled, but the ref didn't give it because he stayed on his feet. He has every right to go down if it draws attention to the fact that he has been blatantly fouled.

Guest Ringo Masterson

Diving, by definition, involves faking a foul. If the player is merely tapped and falls down (i.e. Joe Cole, Arjen Robben) or he falls to the ground constantly without even being touched (Arsenal circa 2003-4), that's diving. If the player is being fouled and falls down, it's within his right.

Diving, by definition, involves faking a foul. If the player is merely tapped and falls down (i.e. Joe Cole, Arjen Robben) or he falls to the ground constantly without even being touched (Arsenal circa 2003-4), that's diving. If the player is being fouled and falls down, it's within his right.

As is kicking someone or grabbing someone, even if they stay on their feet.

If the ref started giving free-kicks for fouls that are fouls, instead of waiting for people to hit the ground before giving something, then it'd die down, but if you foul someone, you deserve to give away a free-kick.