Sony Playstation 3

Dan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never pay more than £500 for a PC because I'd know in a years time, it'd be worth half as much and hundreds of much better ones will be available.

The thing with a Ps3/360/Wii is that they will be the best for at least the next 5 years, and seeing as though it's the most powerful and has some quality games scheduled (GTAIV, MGS4, PES7,FFXIII, GTHD, DMC4, TW07) the ps3 may seem pricey at first, but it's got all the 360 (graphics, power, live) and the wii (motion sensing stuff, 24/7 online) both have plus it has a blu-ray drive which no matter what Microsoft say, is the future. Hence it may be value for money in the long run, especially as Sony have said that they expect the price to lower within seven months.

And for me, region-free is fucking awesome. No more waiting 8 months to get games after the japs.

And sonic looks pretty fucking cool on the Ps3 too ('tis a release game, weirdly)

It's not just what Microsoft says otherwise, a good portion of the industry (industries, rather) are skeptical of Blu-ray. Honestly, how many formats has Sony really pioneered? I would never even consider buying a Blu-ray player within the next three years because I'd fear I was buying a Minidisc player. Blu-ray is only the future if the PS3 succeeds, if it flops, or even has a rocky start, then Blu-ray is going to be UMD all over again. First, the whole HD-DVD/Blu-ray thing pisses me off since the public just really started embracing DVD. Now you're asking them to buy a whole new gadget and they don't seem to be hyping up one of the biggest factors, which is backwards compatibility. Plus, Sony is working against themselves with the goofy ass name, "what the fuck is Blu-ray?" would be a common answer amongst consumers. However, HD-DVD, it's all right there in the title. Blu-ray may be more powerful, but never underestimate the uninformed; Betamax was better than VHS too.

Here's the good points of the PS3:

-Region free - AWESOME, no debate whatsoever.

-Raw power - the PS3 will be the strongest system on the market. But again, so was the XBox last gen, and it couldn't touch the PS2.

-Sony's reputation. It is the king of gaming right now, that alone will get them a lot of early exclusive titles.

-Free online service

Now, the bad:

-Unproven Blu-ray format. Won't necessarily matter for the PS3, but it could hurt Sony as a whole.

-Ridiculous price, now the rumors of the games... could we be looking at the new Neo Geo?

-Likely no rumble feature in controllers

-Motion sensing looks tacked on and doesn't seem to have anything on the Wii.

-Game exclusivity is becoming a thing of the past.

-Two competing consoles, both at far lower prices.

-No killer apps outside of MGS4 and FFXIII, neither of which will be available within the first year.

-Microsoft has gained a ton of ground

-Lots of big promises, but we haven't seen much from the system, despite it's release being less than three months away.

Resistance : Fall of men looks shit hot too.

And it's 22GB, which is massive. Apparently 1GB of it is music, which is amazing.

The Lower priced Ps3 and the higher priced 360 aren't too far apart in features and prices.

I don't think the 360 has wi-fi, does it? Though I'm not sure.

The Ps3 web browser looks awesome too, I was watching a video of it earlier and if the PSP is anything to go by it'll be a decent browser.

The things that give blu-ray the advanatage are : up to 50GB of space on a dual layer disc. The 360 uses DVD-9's, and even the dual layered ones can only store 18GB (I believe).

When the laser reads a DVD or CD, it reads slower from the inside of the disc, when it reads from a blu-ray, it reads the disc contantly from anywhere on the disc.

Blu-Ray is also read faster by the system compaired to the DVD at 1x and both are obviously faster than 1x, i believe the Blu-Ray is a 12x Blu-Ray drive.

I'm not saying that I know it's going to be great, but Sony have never let me down in the past and I believe they're taking more risks and it can only pay off.

And GTAIV is a killer app too :P

Edited by Dan

And GTAIV is a killer app too

That you can get on a system that's $200 cheaper at the exact same time.

The rest is mostly a bunch of tech-talk that means nothing to the average consumer. If we're talking what is the better machine, then clearly it's all about the PS3. However, I'm not buying a DVD player, I'm buying video games. I don't get wrapped up in console wars, but I also don't have about $2000 to spare in order to own all three new systems plus games. Sony has not given me any reason whatsoever to purchase a PS3 at launch and at its current price.

Yeh, I really want a HDTV, but they're prices as hell over here.

I'll probably wait till next year to even consider getting a HDTV though, as although I'll happily shell out £400 for a console, no way am I paying £1000 for a TV to play it on.

Edit 4444 posts. Sweet.

Edited by Dan

Guest Koupa Troopa

Yes I'm not getting into it too much, but the PS3 is going to come last in the console wars behind the 360 and the Wii. Sony is kicking themselves in the balls at every turn.

Pro 6 being 360 exclusive bodes well for me since I've been using my wired 360 pad to play Pro 5 on the PC so readjusting to a new controller won't be so bad since I won't have to.

As for getting a PS3, I'll probably get it a year or two down the line. Then again my brother gets crazy tips from his workplace and may have some cash to splash out on one on release.

No, the 2007 game is cancelled completely.

IGN has confirmed with American THQ representatives that the statement above is applicable for all regions and the game is cancelled in all territories. In more specific terms, this means that the first SmackDown for PlayStation 3 will be next year's 2008 edition -- or whatever it ends up being called.

No, the 2007 game is cancelled completely.

IGN has confirmed with American THQ representatives that the statement above is applicable for all regions and the game is cancelled in all territories. In more specific terms, this means that the first SmackDown for PlayStation 3 will be next year's 2008 edition -- or whatever it ends up being called.

Then that's the last time I waste my time with IGN. I searched for about 10 minutes in the SvR 07 PS3 profile and did not even come close to that blurb.

SvR07 has indeed been cancelled, won't see it until the next one at the end of 2007 (hopefully!) but SvR07 WIL be released on both the 360 & PS2.

Pro 6 not on PS3? That's a major loss for Sony, I've had the Jap version for PS2 since early May (Approx.) and it's fantastic, not slow like 5, it's back to it's correct game speed, the shooting is much better, and the new "Quick Free Kick" system is an added bonus.

Shame I don't have enough space on MC to edit transfers! Gutted!