Sony Playstation 3

Dan

So yeah, I've just decided that I'm gunna save up and get one.

I'll only get the 60GB model, might as well go all out and get the best one if I'm going to get one at all.

I've been really happy with my ps2 and I've had that since near release date now, and I've had no problems with it and it's been moved from house to house a few times. The ps1 was the same, though I did have to replace my first one after 4 years.

Anyway. £425 for a console, some may think I'm crazy, but I'm really hyped about it, I've been following it for a while and it's panning out awesomely.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to spark debate... what about it exactly is panning out awesomely? Especially if you open the new Game Informer magazine and see that Kaz Hirai has said that they are leaving the door open for higher priced PS3 games, but reassuring us that he "doesn't expect games to hit $100" but that "if they're higher than $59.99, don't ding me." Exact words. So now not only are we looking at a $600 system, games could be anywhere from $60 to $99. They should just stop talking.

Just to spark debate... what about it exactly is panning out awesomely? Especially if you open the new Game Informer magazine and see that Kaz Hirai has said that they are leaving the door open for higher priced PS3 games, but reassuring us that he "doesn't expect games to hit $100" but that "if they're higher than $59.99, don't ding me." Exact words. So now not only are we looking at a $600 system, games could be anywhere from $60 to $99. They should just stop talking.

I want the PS3 too but it is way too expensive for me. Not that I don't have the money, I just really don't want to buy a $600 console to game on....I'm not THAT big of a geek. I'll wait 'till it drops to a acceptable price and maybe then I'll buy it. The PS3 will be amazing, it's just way better than the Wii and X-Box 360.

The game I would want to play first: Assassin's Creed - a GTA/Hitman, woot.

Edited by The RingmasteR

Some 360 games over here are £49.99 which works out at around $95, anyway.

You also gotta stop and think of what are the games that will probably cost more than $60.00. Games like Guitar Hero 2 will probably cost more just as Final Fantasy XI and Guitar Hero 1 were at higher prices than the regular games. So, maybe that's what he was referring to.

Asda & Woolworths both seel games for £39.99. I've got all my games for the 360 online though for £39.99 as well.

The PS3 games I've seen on Amazon are priced at £49.99 which means they'll probably be £59.99 in Game etc which equals $94 to $113.

I'd expect the games to be priced around $80 in the US.

EDIT: Anyway, I'll probably pick one up on release, if not I'll get one around February/March time. I haven't been that impressed with it so far but hopefully Sony will come through and surprise me.

I wasn't that impressed with the build up for the 360, but I got one on release day and that's impressed the hell out of me so hopefully the PS3 can do the same.

Edited by The LBTN

You also gotta stop and think of what are the games that will probably cost more than $60.00. Games like Guitar Hero 2 will probably cost more just as Final Fantasy XI and Guitar Hero 1 were at higher prices than the regular games. So, maybe that's what he was referring to.

The main reason those games cost more were because they came with accessories -- FF11 with the hard drive, Guitar Hero with the guitar controller. Without those accessories, the games retailed for approximately $20-$40 each.

Packaging games with accessories to charge more is perfectly fine, as long as the accessories serve a clear purpose aside from gouging my wallet. Charging $70-$100 for a disc or two is just insane, no matter the technology involved.

The main reason those games cost more were because they came with accessories -- FF11 with the hard drive, Guitar Hero with the guitar controller. Without those accessories, the games retailed for approximately $20-$40 each.

Packaging games with accessories to charge more is perfectly fine, as long as the accessories serve a clear purpose aside from gouging my wallet. Charging $70-$100 for a disc or two is just insane, no matter the technology involved.

I know. Exactly. He could've very well meant that such games wouldn't go past the $100 mark.

I know. Exactly. He could've very well meant that such games wouldn't go past the $100 mark.

Quite plausible. It's quite subjective at this point (which is why it's just so gawsh-darned fun to speculate.)

The ironic part about this is that I flat-out refuse to plunk the near-grand it will take to nab a PS3, accessories, and games I would be interested in...but I would pay five times that much to get my wee mitts on those new Alienwares coming out.

I'd never pay more than £500 for a PC because I'd know in a years time, it'd be worth half as much and hundreds of much better ones will be available.

The thing with a Ps3/360/Wii is that they will be the best for at least the next 5 years, and seeing as though it's the most powerful and has some quality games scheduled (GTAIV, MGS4, PES7,FFXIII, GTHD, DMC4, TW07) the ps3 may seem pricey at first, but it's got all the 360 (graphics, power, live) and the wii (motion sensing stuff, 24/7 online) both have plus it has a blu-ray drive which no matter what Microsoft say, is the future. Hence it may be value for money in the long run, especially as Sony have said that they expect the price to lower within seven months.

And for me, region-free is fucking awesome. No more waiting 8 months to get games after the japs.

And sonic looks pretty fucking cool on the Ps3 too ('tis a release game, weirdly)

Edited by Dan

I'd never pay more than £500 for a PC because I'd know in a years time, it'd be worth half as much and hundreds of much better ones will be available.

The thing with a Ps3/360/Wii is that they will be the best for at least the next 5 years, and seeing as though it's the most powerful and has some quality games scheduled (GTAIV, MGS4, PES7,FFXIII, GTHD, DMC4, TW07) the ps3 may seem pricey at first, but it's got all the 360 (graphics, power, live) and the wii (motion sensing stuff, 24/7 online) both have plus it has a blu-ray drive which no matter what Microsoft say, is the future. Hence it may be value for money in the long run, especially as Sony have said that they expect the price to lower within seven months.

And for me, region-free is fucking awesome. No more waiting 8 months to get games after the japs.

And sonic looks pretty fucking cool on the Ps3 too ('tis a release game, weirdly)

Console cycles are controlled by the console manufacturers, hence why there is such a gap in terms of new systems. For computers, it's more free-form, as the standards are raised more by the part manufacturers.

Why state the obvious, Midget?

Simply, because Alienware has finally laid the hammer down and made the best gaming machine possible. It has greater specs than the PS3 and ultimately more uses than the consoles (being that I'm getting out of gaming slowly-but-surely, I'd much rather have something that can work for me on the job or at home. Laptop = badda bing.)

Besides, Warhammer MMO. FTW :shifty:

This is exactly why I really don't mind the PS3's price tag, high-end gaming computers are way more expensive. Even my own modest PC ran me about $1500 when I built it, and it probably woulda been $2000+ if I'd have purchased it pre-built. So $600 for a PS3 doesn't strike me as too bad, I mean, have you all seen the Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer? It looks better than a goddamn movie.

No arguments here, m'friend. MGS may very well be the best-looking trailer I've ever seen. Still, however, it's a case of the devil you don't know and the devil you do. Which one do you go with?