2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

If in his second season as Starting goalie, barring the last game he played which was just unexplicable(maybe the puck was made by Germans, who knows) Huet is obviously a credible starting goalie. He basically led Montreal to the playoffs last season when Theo went bust, and he's backstopped us to 4th place in the East so far this season. And trust me, beyond Markov an improving Komisarek and Dandenault, our defence is about as porus as swiss cheese when it comes to giving up shots. I don't think it's overrated when you finish your first starting season with the saving grace award, and are 4th in GAA then before a horrible game in your second season as a starting goalie you're still leading the league in Save %age and are still in the top 5 for GAA.

As far as Raycroft goes, while I really don't like him just for how much he's been blown by the media and fans, he's going to eveuntually be a solid starting goalie. If Toronto had a two goalie system like San Jose, or Montreal at the beginning of the season, I think they'd be doing better as a team. I'd also hate to be in his position. Belfour couldn't get it done so now we're bringning you in to carry us to the playoffs. Enjoy your stay.

Edited by Basha

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada? By that logic, Miikka Kiprusoff is overrated, Dwayne Roloson ditto. And I know Basha's going to come in with a whole wedge of stats that prove you're talking shit about Huet, so that's that. I acknowledge Raycroft isn't as good as Belfour, and I wish we'd kept Rask, but he is nonetheless is a credible starting goaltender.

It's not over yet.

Angry Hawks want goal review discussed at board of governors

CHICAGO (CP) - The Chicago Blackhawks are so angry about a disputed shootout goal during Sunday's loss to Minnesota that they've asked the NHL to add the issue of video review to the agenda at the board of governors' meeting next week.

A possible shootout goal by Denis Arkhipov, Chicago's third shooter, was disallowed Sunday after a video review. Minnesota goalie Manny Fernandez stopped the initial shot, but what's at issue is whether or not the puck then trickled over the goal-line. The Hawks lost the game 4-3.

On Monday, the Blackhawks took the unusual step of releasing a statement to the media.

"In light of the situation that took place at the conclusion of last night's game between the Chicago Blackhawks and Minnesota Wild at the United Center, the Chicago Blackhawks have asked that the topic of video goal judging and the goal review process be added to the agenda at the board of governors meeting which will take place on Jan. 23 in Dallas during the all-star break," the Hawks said in the release.

As it always does when video replay is used during a game, the NHL reviewed the play from its Toronto office.

"We took a lot of time and we made a decision based upon our experience dealing with 1,400-plus games a year over the last nine years," Colin Campbell, the NHL's director of operations, told The Canadian Press on Monday. "A lot of times these calls are so close and so difficult that one party isn't going to like the result of our call."

The Hawks insist it was the wrong call.

"That was a goal," Chicago coach Denis Savard said after the game. "We've got it on our TV. Why? Ask the NHL. I've got no idea. It doesn't make any sense.

"The puck is this much in," Savard added, gesturing a two-inch gap between his fingers. "The referees said it was a goal."

Fernandez, who had 38 saves, disagreed.

"I didn't think it went in," Fernandez said. "The play ends when the puck stops moving and I've got control of it."

Looks like Montreal might get an easy win, Luongo might need the night off after taking a puck in the thorax in practice.

The Hawks are up 3-1 against the Blue Jackets. Could the losing streak end tonight? I probably just jinxed it.

And Vander-fucking-meer scored. Armageddon must be close.

Edited by lari

Guest Grapehead

I love how all the analysts said Ottawa wouldn't be able to score as much without Spezza, that they'd have to buckle down and play tight defense and hope to squeeze out some 1 goal games. 5 straight wins, outscoring opposition 30-12... sitting in 4th place in the East, sure look like a team that can't score. Anyone who doubted Ottawa was foolish.

I love how all the analysts said Ottawa wouldn't be able to score as much without Spezza, that they'd have to buckle down and play tight defense and hope to squeeze out some 1 goal games. 5 straight wins, outscoring opposition 30-12... sitting in 4th place in the East, sure look like a team that can't score. Anyone who doubted Ottawa was foolish.

Guest Grapehead

Didn't you doubt Ottawa for awhile. :shifty:

Philadelphia tonight. Hopefully we dispose of them easily and keep on the winning track.

And SDM, I've found the perfect season bragging rights decider. Montreal plays Vancouver soon. Winner gets to brag and boo the others until their lungs are sore... or Playoffs.

Okay.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ Montreal.