2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always love the Sidney Crosby haters. Makes my liking him that much sweeter. And they couldn't shut him down in this game, which was great. I really should be cheering for Ottawa, but damn, it's Crosby! Hopefully the Buffalo/NYI game tonight is good.

People mainly like to hate Crosby because he's an overyhyped whiner.

Ovechkin most likely would've had the youngest scoring champion record for himself had they not been locked out his "original" rookie year.

That said, if you take Crosby out of Pittsburgh they're still a playoff-caliber team, although most likely not a 5 seed.

Take Ovechkin out of Washington and there's nobody with name recognition beyond the netminder on their entire roster. That's what I was trying to get at.

But he hasn't done a lot more than Crosby. He's done nothing. If he carried the Craps on his back to the playoffs, then I'd agree with you. But he hasn't done anything.

And I don't think the Pens are a playoff team without Sid. Not this year anyway.

I'm not so much of a Sid hater as I am "Sid gets way too much hype" person. I mean, he's clearly going to be a superstar and is already in the top 5 or so for best players in the NHL. But I don't think he'll tear apart the game like Gretzky and Lemieux did in the past. He'll be a great player, but I just don't think it's possible for him to be a player above everyone. Not that everyone hypes him like that, but there are those who do.

That said, he's on the most stacked young roster in the NHL. They will be the first team that has to truly find out whether you can build a dynasty with the salary cap. As someone who likes good hockey cities, and I think Pittsburgh qualifies for this, I'm rooting for them to go down in history with a great team.

Overhyped whiner...same thing everyone said about Gretzky, who is deemed the greatest player the NHL has ever seen. I'll take it.

As for the actual play off games, looks like Pittsburgh is out to win the game tonight too. Bad turn over first thing but they've been playing damn good already.

How the hell can you ever possibly say that the Capitals have a better team then the Penguins? Are you fucking insane?

Take Be's list and subtract Semin, since the Calder trophy Ovechkin won was without Semin, since he was still holding out. Ovechkin managed to put up 106 points, including 54 assists. That's especially impressive when you consider that you have to add up 3 Capitals together to get 54 goals; there are only 7 Capitals with 10 or more goals, besides Ovechkin, for him to get assists on, and besides his 52 goals, the highest on the team was Danius Zubrus' 23. Pittsburgh definitely had the better team, although their top line talent like Rechi, Palffy, and LeClair weren't blowing the league to pieces, they still had decent seasons, and there was a shitload of young talent coming up even without Staal and Malkin.

Since that time, the Capitals have cut most of their veteran talent and Pittsburgh has done the exact opposite. I would not be surprised if when the contract for Alex the Great is up, he refuses to sign and becomes the most expensive RFA ever, because his team has shown no competency or desire to give him anything resembling a supporting cast. Pittsburgh made some stumbles, but they're on the right track now. A dynasty? Maybe. They're going to have to compete with Buffalo, and probably Nashville when you look at their prospect list.

Also, how much must the Eaves family hate Pittsburgh? First, Ben Eaves, Pittsburgh prospect, takes an ugly hit and ends his career with a severe concussion. Now, Patrick Eaves is hit by a Pittsburgh player, it's ugly and he suffers a severe concussion. If any more Eaves ever come up to the NHL, they should consider being a healthy scratch whenever they come to town.

Hopefully the Ducks can get the sweep tomorrow. They've looked solid all series long, especially on defence. I was worried when JS was out, but Bryzgalov is playing very well right now.

God I hope this is the year.

Hopefully the Ducks can get the sweep tomorrow. They've looked solid all series long, especially on defence. I was worried when JS was out, but Bryzgalov is playing very well right now.

God I hope this is the year.

Ray Emery gets away with two, possibly three, blocker punches to Evgeni Malkin. What the fuck? Malkin hit the net because he tripped over a stick, so no call there, and that's right... but Emery should have been called for the excessive punches to an already downed Malkin. That's fucking bullshit that he got away with it.

A player punches another player, and they get roughing. A goalie does it, and doesn't get called why?

Stars fans got to vote for a song to hear during the second intermission. "Canadian Idiot" by Weird Al Yankovic easily beat out cuts from Canadian natives Celine Dion and Bryan Adams.

There's nothing quite like dishing an owning when you're about to go 3-1 down. Good form, Stars fans. :P

Stars fans got to vote for a song to hear during the second intermission. "Canadian Idiot" by Weird Al Yankovic easily beat out cuts from Canadian natives Celine Dion and Bryan Adams.

There's nothing quite like dishing an owning when you're about to go 3-1 down. Good form, Stars fans. :P

Only in hockey. :wub: