Official Toronto FC Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I assume that Kou, Ringy and I are all interested in this team at least.

TORONTO (CP) - Canadian international Jim Brennan is Toronto FC's first player signing, the MLS expansion team announced Friday.

The 29-year-old midfielder from Newmarket, Ont., has won 43 caps for Canada and spent 10 seasons in England.

''We are very excited to have someone of Jim's experience and talent,'' Toronto FC coach Mo Johnston said in a statement. ''His career in England and internationally with the Canadian team will certainly prove invaluable to our squad next year. Combine that experience with the fact that he has shown a great desire to return home and play for Toronto FC in my mind makes Jim the perfect first signing and the first piece of what will be a very exciting team.''

Most recently Brennan played for Southampton in the Football Championship, one level below the English Premier League, although he has been without a club this season. He joined the Saints on a free transfer in January.

He also played for Bristol City. Nottingham Forest, Huddersfield and Norwich City in England.

Forest paid 1.25 million pounds (C$2.6 million) for him in October 1999, a record for a Canadian at the time.

Toronto FC, the MLS's 13th team, kicks off next year at a 20,000-seat waterfront stadium currently under construction.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest This is classic Ringy

We should also mention that they've got Mo Johnston as a manager. Not the best of managers based on his last record, but he definately is talking a lot. He claims he's going to bring back Paul Stalteri and Gooz "back home", which I really don't see happening, but it's fun to see he's motivated.

Guest This is classic Ringy

I don't know whether my allegiance will move away from the New England Revolution. They still have one of the best chants I've ever heard.

To the tune of "Earth Angel".

New England, New England!

We're not as gooood,

As the old England.

But at least we don't haaaaave

Heskey up froooont

'Cause he never scores.

At all.

Outdated, but gold nonetheless.