KoRn Cover Pink Floyd

I've heard all of those covers apart from the Train one. And the only original song I don't like is Another Brick in the Wall.

I barely listen to Pink Floyd, I prefer Syd Barrett :P In fact I don't listen to classic rock much at all anymore. So don't try and push me off as an elitist classic rock fanboy :P

Too late. You already did that with your earlier posts =P

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Angry Baboon

Ummm...How? Because the majority of covers of classic rock songs i've heard don't match up to the originals?

I'm not going to deny that you're right to an extent, but I think you're exagerrating and reading into things a bit too much. I've heard a fair few classic rock covers that were pretty good, such as:

Flaming Lips- "Thankyou" (Led Zeppelin)

Nine Inch Nails- "I'm afraid of Americans" (David Bowie)

Belle and Sebastian- "Sunday Morning" (Velvet Underground)

Sonic Youth- "I know there's an answer" (Beach Boys)

Radiohead- "Ladytron" (Roxy Music)

Dream Theater- "Achilles Last Stand" (Led Zeppelin)

Do I think modern covers of classic songs are all bad? No. I realise my "ALL SUCK" comment was pretty ummm......contradicting, but perhaps I should have plotted my words a bit more carefully.

I hardly think i'm an 'Elitist Classic rock fanboy'. I don't even particularly like Led Zeppelin, and I only like very early Pink Floyd, Long before Darkside of the Moon. However, I do realise that to match up to the quality of a song by Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, you do have to be a fairly good guitarist.

Adam Jones is good, but he can't match Page. Steve Vai? Yes. Joe Satriana? Yes. Adam Jones? No. The No Quarter cover, I found it to be pretty sub-par. It dragged on.

And as for KoRn's cover of 'Another Brick in the Wall'. 'Munky' cannot play guitar well. This isn't an opinion, any guitarist on the board will tell you this. He is terrible, and therefore, I am to assume that their cover of ABITW will be terrible too, considering other covers I've heard from them in the past were complete try-hard dog shit.

They're tyring to break their musical boundries.

Guest bruins72

I liked the Foo Fighters version of Pink Floyd. They did a great job on "Have A Cigar". I also though STP did a decent job of Zeppelin with "Dancing Days".

And as for KoRn's cover of 'Another Brick in the Wall'. 'Munky' cannot play guitar well. This isn't an opinion, any guitarist on the board will tell you this. He is terrible, and therefore, I am to assume that their cover of ABITW will be terrible too, considering other covers I've heard from them in the past were complete try-hard dog shit.

They're tyring to break their musical boundries.

Squancho, I was just about to give you a big hug and scream "Brilliant response, ole chap!" But alas, one snag. :)

Good guitar work isn't necessary to make an excellent cover. Any solid techno/dance artist can attest to that. So while James Shaffer and Brian Welch may not be the best in terms of scales and technical skill, they have shown a commendable ability to set moods with their instruments. Depending on how the band as a whole can wrap themselves around the song and morph it, the song has the potential to be very good.

Granted, if they go for a straight cover, I'll gladly join in on the planned lynching.

And how dare I forget the Foos & Brian May's cover of "Have A Cigar"!? I've even got the damn CD it's on!

Rar.

Edited by The Midget

As long as it's not anything like their cover of One then we're fine

If it is. The mail bombs will come out

Guest Angry Baboon

Squancho, I was just about to give you a big hug and scream "Brilliant response, ole chap!"  But alas, one snag. :)

Good guitar work isn't necessary to make an excellent cover.  Any solid techno/dance artist can attest to that.  So while James Shaffer and Brian Welch may not be the best in terms of scales and technical skill, they have shown a commendable ability to set moods with their instruments.  Depending on how the band as a whole can wrap themselves around the song and morph it, the song has the potential to be very good.

Granted, if they go for a straight cover, I'll gladly join in on the planned lynching.

Ah yes. Good point. I have been musically outsmarted. Although KoRn aren't techno or dance >_> But let us make love, not war, and end this now.

An Aphex Twin remix of Stairway to Heaven would be interesting.

There is lady we all know, who shines bright light and wa----I WAAAAAAAAANT YOOOOOOUR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL

That must be the most covered song of all time. I think even Marilyn Manson did a cover of it, I mean for fuck's sake. The song is crap now, stop covering it you bastards.

And ofr the record, most covers suck as they either fuck up the original or are just not as well executed. The only cover I like is Metallica's version of Thin Lizzy's Whiskey In The Jar. Oh, well, and Motorhead's version of Metallica's Enter Sandman...so that's 2. Oh and Motorhead's version of the Sex Pistol's God Save The Queen....BUT THAT'S IT! *runs off before me remembers more*

Guest Angry Baboon

I think the most covered song ever is "Yesterday" by the Beatles. In fact, Class of 99' were the first band ever to 'officially' (IE: Not live) cover ABITW.

Guest bruins72

And ofr the record, most covers suck as they either fuck up the original or are just not as well executed. The only cover I like is Metallica's version of Thin Lizzy's Whiskey In The Jar. Oh, well, and Motorhead's version of Metallica's Enter Sandman...so that's 2. Oh and Motorhead's version of the Sex Pistol's God Save The Queen....BUT THAT'S IT! *runs off before me remembers more*

Without getting into how great the Me First and the Gimme Gimmes covers are, I will say there are plenty of good covers. You just have to find the right band covering the right song. I prefer covers where the band has their own take on the song.

Ever heard Metallica's version of Queen's Stone Cold Crazy? Great tune! Despite how much I've disliked Metallica in recent years, they've always been able to pull off great covers and really give them a new spin. The Foo Fighters are another band like that. I'd have to say the Foo's version of Baker Street is one of my favorite covers ever with the Lemonheads' version of Mrs Robinson a close second.

An Aphex Twin remix of Stairway to Heaven would be interesting.

There is lady we all know, who shines bright light and wa----I WAAAAAAAAANT YOOOOOOUR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL

One word: Platinum.

I think the most covered song ever is "Yesterday" by the Beatles. In fact, Class of 99' were the first band ever to 'officially' (IE: Not live) cover ABITW.

Indeed, "Yesterday" has been covered more than any other song in pop history. I belive "Unchained Melody" and "White Christmas" are also in the top three, although it has been awhile since I've seen any sort of list.

Ever heard Metallica's version of Queen's Stone Cold Crazy? Great tune! Despite how much I've disliked Metallica in recent years, they've always been able to pull off great covers and really give them a new spin.

For the most part, I think Metallica pretty much stayed the course on their covers (for example, their Misfits cover could've easily been written off musically as the same song recorded with newer recording equipment.) Still not a bad double-album, though...it's just not worth the inflated double-CD price.

Guest bruins72

For the most part, I think Metallica pretty much stayed the course on their covers (for example, their Misfits cover could've easily been written off musically as the same song recorded with newer recording equipment.)  Still not a bad double-album, though...it's just not worth the inflated double-CD price.

I'll agree with you on their older covers of punk stuff but I think they did more on their covers of classic rock tunes. They just felt like they had more "oomph" to me. Their version Whiskey In The Jar is infinately better (IMO) than the original Thin Lizzy version.

I feel kind of dirty defending Metallica since they've turned into a bunch of pricks. :D

I feel kind of dirty defending Metallica since they've turned into a bunch of pricks.  :D

hehe, don't fret too much, amigo. Perhaps one day they'll see the error of their "I-Could-Only-Buy-The-Middle-Sized-Jacuuzi" ways.

The "Whiskey In The Jar" cover actually felt like Metallica doing the song, although it was ultimately the same tune. It's a rare instance where the band is able to put their own vibe into a tune without altering the structure or arrangement.

I'll agree with you on their older covers of punk stuff but I think they did more on their covers of classic rock tunes. They just felt like they had more "oomph" to me. Their version Whiskey In The Jar is infinately better (IMO) than the original Thin Lizzy version.

I feel kind of dirty defending Metallica since they've turned into a bunch of pricks.  :D

Well....I agree with you on pretty much all of that, other than the fact that Whiskey In The Jar wasn't a Thin Lizzy song. It was an old Irish folk song and I believe The Dubliners were the first band to record it.

Flaming Lips- "Thankyou" (Led Zeppelin)

Belle and Sebastian- "Sunday Morning" (Velvet Underground)

Sonic Youth- "I know there's an answer" (Beach Boys)

Radiohead- "Ladytron" (Roxy Music)

Dream Theater- "Achilles Last Stand" (Led Zeppelin)

you forgot

Faith No More-"Easy Like Sunday Morning" (the Commadores)

That was pretty much the throw away song on that album. I'll admit, I like thier older stuff best, but I also like Untouchables which a lot of people didn't.

I personally enjoyed Untouchables very much. A good album, and different I felt. I still plunk it into my CD player every so often.

As for covering this song? Fine by me. Personally, a cover song I enjoy a lot but others don't seem to is Britney Spears's version of "I Love Rock And Roll". You bastards don't appreciate good music :shifty:

Guest bruins72

hehe, don't fret too much, amigo.  Perhaps one day they'll see the error of their "I-Could-Only-Buy-The-Middle-Sized-Jacuuzi" ways.

The "Whiskey In The Jar" cover actually felt like Metallica doing the song, although it was ultimately the same tune.  It's a rare instance where the band is able to put their own vibe into a tune without altering the structure or arrangement.

Have you seen that episode of South Park where the boys get busted for downloading music? They see Lars all sad because he couldn't buy the biggest <something> and had to settle for the inferior one. It was horrifying! :lol:

You're exactly right about the "vibe". That's what I was trying to get across before but couldn't find the right words for. There are few covers like that. No changes to the music, it just feels different.

Well....I agree with you on pretty much all of that, other than the fact that Whiskey In The Jar wasn't a Thin Lizzy song. It was an old Irish folk song and I believe The Dubliners were the first band to record it.

Really? I didn't know that. It makes sense though. The story set in the song isn't from any time recent.

Nine Inch Nails never covered I'm Afraid of Americans. Trent produced it and did 6 or so remixes for it.

Don't say he did it in concert either because the only times Trent & Co. have played Bowie songs was in 1994 when they toured together.

I used to quite like Korn after I heard their first album, it sounded raw and different to most other stuff, but I just feel that they have tried again and again to produce the same album and failed.

The thing that annoys me about the band is the fucking tone of that bass - he seems to totally turn down any treble and gets that horrible click sound, which doesn't cover how bad the guy is on his bass... The drummer is ok though.

Jonathon Davis has also come across as one of those hypocritical outspoken types, in the vein of Mr. Durst, and that has never helped me to like the band.

On the guitarist point - I agree with Midget, technical skill isn't always needed to capture moods or to convey a song well. I mean some bands - namely 80s metal bands like Poision, Skid Row, Extreme - are all about the solos, and completely ignore the fact that their song sucks.

The thing that annoys me about the band is the fucking tone of that bass - he seems to totally turn down any treble and gets that horrible click sound, which doesn't cover how bad the guy is on his bass...

Actually, you can blame that on the fact the guitars are tuned down to the point where Fieldy's lowest bass string is barely even making a legit note.